How do I climb better

Slowbee, how long did you rest in between the intervals. My program tells me to say, go 8 min up the hill and rest 10min between each interval. But I guess it depends on what you want the results to be. .

Someone else might help a bit more???

Cool idea. I will learn from this as well.

the faster you recover the faster you can go

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is this the correct way to be approaching intervals ?

I'd rather start on a flat road untill you reach a level of fitness.

Slowbee, how long did you rest in between the intervals. My program tells me to say, go 8 min up the hill and rest 10min between each interval. But I guess it depends on what you want the results to be. .

Someone else might help a bit more???

Cool idea. I will learn from this as well.

the faster you recover the faster you can go

What berry said. Your recovery period should be around half of your effort period.

And I was starting to get little white dots in my eyes, so I thought I should slow it down.

That's when you need to bite it and suffer through it. Also what Heman said about keeping the period of effort and recovery constant is why I suggest starting on a flat road.

That's when you need to bite it and suffer through it. Also what Heman said about keeping the period of effort and recovery constant is why I suggest starting on a flat road.

Yep, as TNT1 says.

To put all of this differently: if you have to slow down, your interval session was too hard. If you cannot recover in time, your interval session was too hard.

A hill is just an interval with an increased severity level, so get used to it all on a flat section of road.

My recovery period for each interval was 3 minutes.

The reason I used this section of hills, is with it being uphill the distance is short as opposed to trying to achieve the same thing on a road.

If you look at the image, that flat middle section (with a high heart rate, as I tried intervals between electricity poles) is very open to wind influence. In one direction the SE is with you, turn around and it is against you, so you dont even get a true rest periond, its just flippen hard work all the time.

The postion of the hill is not influenced by the SE, as, should it be blowing like mad, as par usual, it will be a cross wind, both up and down the hill so no influence on the training.

also, do you take it easy on your ride, do your intervals and then take it easy heading home ?

I did my intervals first, then did some flat sections to ease out the pain, followed by another large hill on the way home.

Again is this the correct way to do things?

What I would like to know is take for example slowbee's graph is at what beats is his HR is considered as recovered? I noticed that he brought it down to about 110 . I do to - but should one bring it down even further down to say... 80 or 90?

Edited by Mads

What I would like to know is take for example slowbee's graph is at what beats is his HR is considered as recovered? I noticed that he brought it down to about 110 . I do to - but should one bring it down even further down to say... 80 or 90?

LOL Mads, that was not intentional I can tell you! It was just cause that is what the HR got to going down the hill to start it all over again. Saddly I am looking forward to next week to try it again!

The higher the intensity of the interval, the more complete you'd want the recovery to be. Longer intervals at lower intensity (LowER, no LOW) needs a shorter recovery than those at a high intensity(sprints/steep hills).

The higher the intensity of the interval, the more complete you'd want the recovery to be. Longer intervals at lower intensity (LowER, no LOW) needs a shorter recovery than those at a high intensity(sprints/steep hills).

so looking at the graph I posted, would you say that the ratio is about correct ?

and also, in all seriousness, when do you stop the repeats?

so looking at the graph I posted, would you say that the ratio is about correct ?

and also, in all seriousness, when do you stop the repeats?

When I used to do track running interval sessions it worked out to about 30 minutes, excluding warm-up/cool down. Did these twice a week. One day shorter intervals(200-400m, sometimes 600m) with longer recovery and the other longer intervals(800-1200, sometimes 1600m) with shorter recoveries. Sessions normally covered about 3200m to 4000m of interval running (this increases as you gain fitness... read Jack Daniels' Running Formula as a guideline as to how much tempo/interval/repetition type intervals based on total weekly training volume.

Last year I used a cycling coach and HR based sessions(ALL done on an IDT) worked out to about 90 minutes each, including warm-up/cool down(10-12 minutes each). Intervals ranged from 4 minutes to 8 minutes, or weird combinations of different HR zones. I could never figured any rhyme or reason, but it did my cycling wonders!

When I used to do track running interval sessions it worked out to about 30 minutes, excluding warm-up/cool down. Did these twice a week. One day shorter intervals(200-400m, sometimes 600m) with longer recovery and the other longer intervals(800-1200, sometimes 1600m) with shorter recoveries. Sessions normally covered about 3200m to 4000m of interval running (this increases as you gain fitness... read Jack Daniels' Running Formula as a guideline as to how much tempo/interval/repetition type intervals based on total weekly training volume.

Last year I used a cycling coach and HR based sessions(ALL done on an IDT) worked out to about 90 minutes each, including warm-up/cool down(10-12 minutes each). Intervals ranged from 4 minutes to 8 minutes, or weird combinations of different HR zones. I could never figured any rhyme or reason, but it did my cycling wonders!

:thumbup: , I will post my ride HR stuff next week when I do the sessions. Will try do them on Tuesday and Thursday