DNF at Epic

AuctionLamb

I understand why lots of guys DNF Epic because most of them are not real MTB riders and they have too much money to throw. They think they can buy Epic medal and not prepare well. I noticed that they only start cycling one year ago with no technicals or experiences.. That is crazy! I feel you have to ride at least 2/3 years before doing Epic...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand why lots of guys DNF Epic because most of them are not real MTB riders and they have too much money to throw. They think they can buy Epic medal and not prepare well. I noticed that they only start cycling one year ago with no technicals or experiences.. That is crazy! I feel you have to ride at least 2/3 years before doing Epic...

Congrats on an "Epic" generalisation there ... ;)

They seem to be falling further behind every day if you compare to other teams on geared bikes that generally seem to finish in more or less the same position in the field every stage. The longer stages hurts them more than the other guys due to spinning out.

What an achievement it will ge if they can finish!!

Has it been done before?

One of our friends did the Freedom Challenge on a rigid singlespeed.

In 2008 I got a viral infection two days before the race started but thought I could ride it off as my partner was aiming for her 3rd finish.

I struggled through the prologue and 3 stages just making the cutoff by a few minutes each day. On the 4th stage I missed the cutoff by 15 minutes and decided to stop.

I was more shattered at letting my partner down than my own suffering as she was in fantastic shape and could have finished easily.

I'm one of the 2012 DNFs. I spent the last 9 months training, often at the expense of spending time with my eight month old boy...committed to finishing to the extent of obsession, and came in, knowing I had the legs and lungs. Had to pull out, after 10 hours of vomit and sh*t spells on Tuesday night. Trust me, there is nothing more devastating than sitting on the side of the road, with nothing more to give...getting back in the saddle for 500m and repeating. Put that time (and yes, own money) in and you'll understand the feeling. Ironically, it's my boy that gave me the stomache virus. So yes, lots of reasons...but none of them I would guess would be "I thought it would be easy".

Having been through all the highs and lows and then the disappointment of getting ill, would you try it again?

Edited by Pusher

I too am one of the 2012 DNF's. I had a fall on the Prologue, I cut open my head but continued, or so I am told, I can not remember riding at all. Went to hospital and got 14 stitches to my face. I convinced the race doctor that I was fit to continue.

I finished stage 1, vomiting for 70 km and my head killing me. Race doctor gave me one look and withdrew me. I am back home with concussion and still feeling terrible. My eye is swollen shut and looking worse each day. I accept that I could not have continued.

I am absolutely shattered. What could I have done better? Nothing, my preparation was spot on, I know I was ready.

What now? Will I go back? Yes I will. For now just want to get over the concussion and then plan again from scratch.

Edited by Santa Boy

So what, pray tell, would a "REAL MTB rider" be?

This guy:

I too am one of the 2012 DNF's. I had a fall on the Prologue, I cut open my head but continued, or so I am told, I can not remember riding at all. Went to hospital and got 14 stitches to my face. I convinced the race doctor that I was fit to continue.

I finished stage 1, vomiting for 70 km and my head killing me. Race doctor gave me one look and withdrew me. I am back home with concussion and still feeling terrible. My eye is swollen shut and looking worse each day. I accept that I could not have continued.

I am absolutely shattered. What could I have done better? Nothing, my preparation was spot on, I know I was ready.

What now? Will I go back? Yes I will. For now just want to get over the concussion and then plan again from scratch.

Recover well!

What a story. :thumbup:

I'm one of the 2012 DNFs. I spent the last 9 months training, often at the expense of spending time with my eight month old boy...committed to finishing to the extent of obsession, and came in, knowing I had the legs and lungs. Had to pull out, after 10 hours of vomit and sh*t spells on Tuesday night. Trust me, there is nothing more devastating than sitting on the side of the road, with nothing more to give...getting back in the saddle for 500m and repeating. Put that time (and yes, own money) in and you'll understand the feeling. Ironically, it's my boy that gave me the stomache virus. So yes, lots of reasons...but none of them I would guess would be "I thought it would be easy".

Eish that harsh, must be devastating. We didnt even make it to the start. I got very sick two months before the race so had to pull out, we were putting in consistant training for the last 8 months so were lekker fit. My partner decided to also pull out as we are good mates and wanted to do it together from the start. (good thing he did as his brother passed away the day before the race started, so it wasnt meant to be for us)

What left us with a bitter taste is the way the organisers handled the situation, surely they can accomodate you better if you are forced to pull out? We had to sell our entry at substantially reduced price, so we made a R14000 loss on our entry.

They just said sorry though luck, and didnt even dicuss it further. We even asked if we can transfer our entry to next year and pay in the difference of the increase but no luck.

So those of you entering, ask your insurance for cover on your entry. Its definately worth while as you never know what might happen.

Feel for you. All that training and preparation! Good luck with the recovery.

I understand why lots of guys DNF Epic because most of them are not real MTB riders and they have too much money to throw. They think they can buy Epic medal and not prepare well. I noticed that they only start cycling one year ago with no technicals or experiences.. That is crazy I feel you have to ride at least 2/3 years before doing Epic...

I think most do the work. There's an ex Miss SA, running legend Elana Meyer among'st other not real MTB'ers that are still there because they did the necessary work. But factors outside the riders control relegate them to DNF's.

Condolences on having to pull out - but huge respect for pushing on as far as you could after the fall. You've clearly got the right stuff for the Epic ...

Is it really worth doing the Epic? I guess it differs from person to person.

I would love to do it yes (or attempt to) but I cannot see it really being worth it.

If I spend R35k or whatever on an event (excluding the MTB, 2 weekly services and parts etc) it will be a once in a lifetime investment and should I not make it, I cannot see myself returing financially and will forever be "wondering" if I could ever do it. I will also then be paying off for the next 2 - 3 years on something I could not finish....

Almost like buying a new car, not insuring it and then writing it off and paying off for the next 5 years on it. It will destroy you mentally.......

The answer is probably to find a sponsor? Or maybe an insurance company needs to be dynamic and come aboard. Perhaps a product that guarantees you 75% of your entry fee back should you not make it past day 3 or something like that? (like pay R3,000 extra and be covered)

I think most do the work. There's an ex Miss SA, running legend Elana Meyer among'st other not real MTB'ers that are still there because they did the necessary work. But factors outside the riders control relegate them to DNF's.

Who is the ex Miss SA riding?