Mapping a ride and uploading to E500

awesme

Hi all

Is there a place where I can map out a ride, say something like view google map, click start, then at first turn, then second and so on, till the end. which then outputs a gpx file which can be uploaded to the E500 as a course/bread crum track.

G

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it is possible, use one of the many mapping sites.

Export your route in GPX format

Connect your unit to pc and paste the file in the Course folder

Disconnect and open the Course under Training

The unit will convert the GPX file to .Fit

You will be following a breadcrumb so dont expect things "like turn left in 500m"

So Www.mapmyride.com wants a US postal code, not accepting South African codes.

more sites that allow this to be done?

G

Yes it is possible, use one of the many mapping sites.

Export your route in GPX format

Connect your unit to pc and paste the file in the Course folder

Disconnect and open the Course under Training

The unit will convert the GPX file to .Fit

You will be following a breadcrumb so dont expect things "like turn left in 500m"

Which site would you recommend? I see someone suggested Mapmyride

This will obviously only work for tar / district roads that are availble in whatever geo site or software you use. As soon as you want to drop into some singletrack...you will have an issue

The most accurate way of creating a course ... is to ride the route with your Edge 500 and convert it to a course afterwards.

Turn the Smart Recording to 1 Second Recording ... that give a much more accurate breadcrumb to follow.

That includes singletrack off the map then :D

Edited by Tankman

This will obviously only work for tar / district roads that are availble in whatever geo site or software you use. As soon as you want to drop into some singletrack...you will have an issue

Isn't it possible to draw freehand tracks using Mapmyride (rather than following roads)? If you have a rough idea where the single track is, you could use the satellite imagery to guide you.

I haven't tried this myself since I:

a.) don't do much exploratory MTBing and

b.) find the Mapmyride site and interface frustrating.

So general consensus being to use MapMyRide for mapping your own routes for tar & district roads?

Isn't it possible to draw freehand tracks using Mapmyride (rather than following roads)? If you have a rough idea where the single track is, you could use the satellite imagery to guide you.

Possible but not very accurate

If the breadcrumb points are to far between each other the unit draws a straight line to the next point.

That can mean going through a building or treeline or something stupid.

Rough idea where the single track is? :lol:

There are oaks getting lost while riding there ... how do you expect them to find it on the computer screen!

Go to Connect.garmin.com Look under courses and map your own course. When you are done you just save it to your device by using the send to device button.

It would be possible but the issue is with your statement above in bold...I also have a very good idea where the river singletrack runs at VG but to actually map it accurately is another story, or good enough to follow is another story, also why would you want to map it for directions if you know it well already. Like tankman said, the best way is to ride it and then use that workout as a course.

Can you combine routes? A mapped ride via a website(mapmyride) with what you have actually ridden?

Ok, so everyone is saying mapmyride, but how do I get around the please provide us zip code, who knows their codes so that we can trick the system.

G