Mapping a ride and uploading to E500

awesme

Trying connect.garmin.com

looking easy, but it wants to only route my via tar roads, or should i tell it somewhere I'm on a MTB.

G

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you combine routes? A mapped ride via a website(mapmyride) with what you have actually ridden?

You can "Join" routes in SportTracks

Export that in GPX and follow the instructions I mentioned earlier

also why would you want to map it for directions if you know it well already.

My experience of looking for hiking trails on Google Earth is that is's much easier to find a reasonably well-used track from an aerial photograph than when you're walking along it. You get the complete picture. There're no trees and bushes to block your line-of-sight, there's no problems with the horizon, if you find a branching track, the overhead photos immediately tell you where it goes etc. Obviously, there are exceptions, such as heavy tree cover blocking the aerial view, but you can can often find entry and exit points.

You do need a rough idea of where your proposed trail starts and where it will go, but hardly need to know the details.

Try Garmin Connect or Endomondo.com - youre going to have to pick up the approximate route off a Google or Bing satelite image, you then save the route and upload it onto your device.

Once youve done the route once, you can then save the actual route onto the device to follow more accurately.

Edited by Geckotom

I've used mapmyride to map off-road routes quite succesfully, but you need to know what you are looking for. A single track is very difficult to identify in the Google Earth interface (gravel roads are easier). Basically you turn off "Follow Roads" and then simply place a whole lot of markers on the route you want to take. Straight lines are drawn between the markers, but you can adjust that by dragging the marker it creates halfway between your markers.

I used do download the courses (*.crs) on the classic website, but it seems that is no longer possible. Thanks Tankman for the alternative method. I will give it a try!

Trying connect.garmin.com

looking easy, but it wants to only route my via tar roads, or should i tell it somewhere I'm on a MTB.

G

untick the box that says follow roads,it's on the right

My experience of looking for hiking trails on Google Earth is that is's much easier to find a reasonably well-used track from an aerial photograph than when you're walking along it. You get the complete picture. There're no trees and bushes to block your line-of-sight, there's no problems with the horizon, if you find a branching track, the overhead photos immediately tell you where it goes etc. Obviously, there are exceptions, such as heavy tree cover blocking the aerial view, but you can can often find entry and exit points.

You do need a rough idea of where your proposed trail starts and where it will go, but hardly need to know the details.

mmmmm ok, I have tried it and came horribly short, and here is the kicker, I know that trail VERY well, I can't see someone doing accurately. Yes nice and open footpaths can be done...the type of singletrack I am talking about impossible. Like you said heavy tree cover like my example isn't going to work.

PS the pic I attached is a trail on the VG river...there are three tracks in those woods believe it or not. With my example even with very good knowledge of the detail you are still fooked

post-9825-0-43686300-1333350621.jpg

In MapMyRide, how on earth do you get your route to start and stop at the same place, Like setting a home point and when nearby I can just click on the green arrow thing to finish the ride, is that what the loop function does? Not fully understanding the lollipop thing though or out & back, whats the difference?

Also does it help if I click more often along the route?

In MapMyRide, how on earth do you get your route to start and stop at the same place, Like setting a home point and when nearby I can just click on the green arrow thing to finish the ride, is that what the loop function does? Not fully understanding the lollipop thing though or out & back, whats the difference?

Also does it help if I click more often along the route?

Map most of your route and then as you get close to the start/finish point, click "loop". The lollipop is nearly the same, but will find the closest point along the mapped route and then track from there back to the startpoint.

If you are mapping off road, you can get your route more accurate by clicking more points along the route but other than that it doesn't make that big a difference.

Tried using my garmin edge 500 to navigate a run trail for Hedianga Farm.

I remember previously being able to adjust the zoom of the breadcrumb trail but it seems to now be speed dependant ie. the map zoomed out to a 500m mark when stopping but moves to about 120m when we ran, thus when stopping at an intersection to see which way to go we had no clue.

Any help ?

WW.

WW, I think there is a way. If you scroll through the pages while riding a course, you get to a map page. This is the one where you want to zoom. Press the power/light switch and then up and down. I came across this accidentally but it might help you.

WW, I think there is a way. If you scroll through the pages while riding a course, you get to a map page. This is the one where you want to zoom. Press the power/light switch and then up and down. I came across this accidentally but it might help you.

Ok cool thanks will try that.

Do you mean 1st press power then up/down or hold in the power and then up/down ?

Ok cool thanks will try that.

Do you mean 1st press power then up/down or hold in the power and then up/down ?

First press power and then up/down to zoom. I think this does the trick, but not 100% sure. Let us know!