weight weeny!

Louis for real

Maybe its cause I am a girl and not into the race thing, but I like riding cause it gets me out into the fresh air, gets me fit and lets me see things at a slower pace. (Ok not too slow.) Why do we always have to be bigger and better than the next? That is what is wrong with the world. We are so busy elbowing people out the way to get ahead than to enjoy the ride with them.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe its cause I am a girl and not into the race thing, but I like riding cause it gets me out into the fresh air, gets me fit and lets me see things at a slower pace. (Ok not too slow.) Why do we always have to be bigger and better than the next? That is what is wrong with the world. We are so busy elbowing people out the way to get ahead than to enjoy the ride with them.

Not to sound sexist, but give a girl a bike and they just ride it, I find it awesome :) get on and go.

Give a guy a bike and immedialty, tyre pressures need to get changed, shock pressures and rebound needs adjusting every 5 minutes. And then we have to upgrade everything we can. Cuase we is men and like spanners.

For the record I am a midpack mtb'er and by no means a snake, but I love my bike and the fact that it's specced far above my capabilities as a racer. I think you need to worry less about other people's bikes / diciplines.

Over IT! :D

THANK YOU that was the kind of response i was looking for! :D

To most of us an S-Works Epic is a dream, to the lucky few it's petty cash... Why work your a** off to make money and then buy a cheap bike because you aren't a good enough rider? With that logic, we should all drive Chevy Spark 0.8's as that is all we really need to get from A to B every day so we don't deserve anything more. Buy what you can afford - if you're a serious racer, but don't have the money, you'll probably find a Deore rear derailleur isn't really going to slow you down at all (same as the XTR isn't going to help the novice). In the end, most of it is marketing hype aimed at those that can afford it. Give Burry an XX equipped bike and an X0 equipped bike - I can guarantee you there will be no difference in the way he rides at all (maybe he isn't good enough to warrant XX though?).

Do you really think they produce those hugely expensive parts to make pro racers faster and not in the hope of selling them to as many people as possible? Without those wealthy riders spending the money there would be no market for the parts and they would never be built.

Why work your a** off to make money and then buy a cheap bike because you aren't a good enough rider? With that logic, we should all drive Chevy Spark 0.8's as that is all we really need to get from A to B every day so we don't deserve anything more.

And so you get to the menaltity of most first world European countries, they buy cheap ass cars and spend their money on worthwhile things. Its only in SA that you get some guy eating stale bread while living with his mother but he drives a merc/bmw/audi, cause we SAFFA's are cool like dat. Here cars much like our bikes are status symbols more than functional tools.

We want shiny cause my bike has to be prettier and more expensive than yours. Its a SA mentality. I have many friends in europe half of them own cars worth no more than 4000 euro which are their day to day vehicles, yet they all have porches, lamborgini's superbikes, which they use ..... for racing on race tracks. They dont drive to work in it just to show everyone they own one.

Yet again if you have the money and want to waste it go buy a 80k bike thats your right, buy your M3 and drive like a (that word that gets you a 2 day ban) because you can.. bottom line is, if you are on your 100k bike and then 9 year old passes you on a raleigh in a race, yes you are looking like a prick with a pretty but expensive bike. As in everything in life form needs to meet function.

And so you get to the menaltity of most first world European countries, they buy cheap ass cars and spend their money on worthwhile things. Its only in SA that you get some guy eating stale bread while living with his mother but he drives a merc/bmw/audi, cause we SAFFA's are cool like dat. Here cars much like our bikes are status symbols more than functional tools.

We want shiny cause my bike has to be prettier and more expensive than yours. Its a SA mentality. I have many friends in europe half of them own cars worth no more than 4000 euro which are their day to day vehicles, yet they all have porches, lamborgini's superbikes, which they use ..... for racing on race tracks. They dont drive to work in it just to show everyone they own one.

Yet again if you have the money and want to waste it go buy a 80k bike thats your right, buy your M3 and drive like a (that word that gets you a 2 day ban) because you can.. bottom line is, if you are on your 100k bike and then 9 year old passes you on a raleigh in a race, yes you are looking like a prick with a pretty but expensive bike. As in everything in life form needs to meet function.

But if you can afford to ride the best, nobody on this forum will settle for a Raleigh because he's afraid hell be passed by a '9 year old'. I would love to own a super car, not because I want to "show off" but because I think they are fantastic and would LOVE to drive one.

after a few to many black and whites :blush: i got thinking...

Why are the majority of SA mountain bikers weight weeny's when they should be more interested in fun than racing?

ive given up and now am playing the comfort over weight card...

insights,chirps,comments welcome

i totally agree!

the ride should be about quality, not quantity. ie. instead of trying to ride a 60km dirt-highway ride, rather challenge yourself to a shorter more technical 25km ride and have fun.

what's the point in racing on every single ride? you alienate your ride partners, never get any better, and dont have fun because you feel guilty for slowing down to take in the scenery and trying a challenging obstacle.

i recently got rid of my super light hard tail and got back onto a full-susser again after trying to convince myself for too long that it was better to save the weight and that one could have just as much fun on a hard tail.

well, surprise surprise, riding just became fun again!!!!

and the best part is, i dont notice the extra weight, i only notice how much more fun it is to go fast on the downhills and breeze over technical bits!

i totally agree!

the ride should be about quality, not quantity. ie. instead of trying to ride a 60km dirt-highway ride, rather challenge yourself to a shorter more technical 25km ride and have fun.

what's the point in racing on every single ride? you alienate your ride partners, never get any better, and dont have fun because you feel guilty for slowing down to take in the scenery and trying a challenging obstacle.

i recently got rid of my super light hard tail and got back onto a full-susser again after trying to convince myself for too long that it was better to save the weight and that one could have just as much fun on a hard tail.

well, surprise surprise, riding just became fun again!!!!

and the best part is, i dont notice the extra weight, i only notice how much more fun it is to go fast on the downhills and breeze over technical bits!

You can do that on a hard tail ...

Edited by BLACKvoodoo

i totally agree!

i recently got rid of my super light hard tail and got back onto a full-susser again after trying to convince myself for too long that it was better to save the weight and

I just stuck 2.4 X kings on my "race" hardtail it makes such a difference to comfort

And so you get to the menaltity of most first world European countries, they buy cheap ass cars and spend their money on worthwhile things.

Yet again if you have the money and want to waste it go buy a 80k bike thats your

that is the route i also take i dont waste my money on a expensive car even though i can afford it...i have a bantam

(more money for the bike and the things i like)

To most of us an S-Works Epic is a dream, to the lucky few it's petty cash... Why

Do you really think they produce those hugely expensive parts to make pro racers faster and not in the hope of selling them to as many people as possible? Without those wealthy riders spending the money there would be no market for the parts and they would never be built.

No i dont.

but if you are a midpack racer why not get a comfy 80k bike? instead if what bob or mega man racer is riding?

yes you can, it's just more fun and a lot faster on a dual susser. but dont take my word for it, what do i know, after all, all the fastest machines invented by man come without rear suspension, so i guess suspension is a conspiracy.

Edited by sadamhussein

Why of course, you just need to know what you are doing, even on my 26" hardtail. I love riding both my bikes, the full sus being 2.5kg heavier. I have equal amounts of fun, I ride the hardtail the same way I ride the full sus. Go hard or go home I say.

People are so selfish, common and stupid some times.... Just because someone else can afford a Spez S-Works and you cant doesn't make it wrong for them to buy it?

Who do you think YOU are to judge and decide what other people should do with their cash?

You are the type's who complain about the country, and government, and crime, and julias, and and and...

But then the first opportunity you get you want to carry on like a wet panty and complain that someone else has bought a bike that YOU cant afford?

The fact is, they obviously CAN afford it. They CAN do whatever they want with their money, and they have DECIDED to buy an expensive bike.

It's none of your business... you are just jealous, and most likely wish you could have a bike like that, otherwise you would not even have said anything...

Judgmental fools..... why dont we just institute a Communist state and issue every person with a 26"/HT and BURN all the S-Works because they are EVIL and Satan's bait.

People are so selfish, common and stupid some times.... Just because someone else can afford a Spez S-Works and you cant doesn't make it wrong for them to buy it?

Who do you think YOU are to judge and decide what other people should do with their cash?

You are the type's who complain about the country, and government, and crime, and julias, and and and...

But then the first opportunity you get you want to carry on like a wet panty and complain that someone else has bought a bike that YOU cant afford?

The fact is, they obviously CAN afford it. They CAN do whatever they want with their money, and they have DECIDED to buy an expensive bike.

It's none of your business... you are just jealous, and most likely wish you could have a bike like that, otherwise you would not even have said anything...

Judgmental fools..... why dont we just institute a Communist state and issue every person with a 26"/HT and BURN all the S-Works because they are EVIL and Satan's bait.

were do you get that from? read the thread and see that i dont care and was only asking why.buy a 80 k racer buy a 80 k trail bike i was only asking why weight is such a factor in SA?

leave poor Juju alone the ANC is already in a bad shape...:D

Edited by BAGGY SPANDEX

were do you get that from? read the thread and see that i dont care and was only asking why.buy a 80 k racer buy a 80 k trail bike i was only asking why weight is such a factor in SA?

leave poor Juju alone the ANC is already in a bad shape... :D

I understand your question.... i have issues with some of the reply's... :blink: it's just the general SA mentality... we are so jealous and judgmental...

Be honest, you didn't even have to guess... you knew EXACTLY the type of responses you were going to get to your post....

yes you can, it's just more fun and a lot faster on a dual susser.

mmmm says who? Alot of fun experts on thehub...worry about your own "fun" and less about other people's.

@TheV is right, let your legs do the talking cause right now you are being perceived as jealous