Crank Brother Candy's

awesme

Hi there

who's using this, comments please, using a set of Shimano's at the moment and looking at switching to the Candy 2 or 3.

G

Hi,

My wife uses them, and is very happy with them - definitely higher maintenance than Shimano's, but maintenance and bearing kits seem readily available - why the swap to Candy's?

I want to get my wife onto clip less, and she spoke to another female riding, got convinced that the Candy's are allot easier to get out of, compared to the Shimano's

I'd rather ride with the same pedal's as her in case we need to swap bikes, for what ever reason (happened in past that she had problems with Derailer).

and well I don't have the best knees, and have done the very elegant fall side ways, after not getting feet clipped out fast enough, and the Shimano's are set at their easiest.

G

I currently ride with a set of Candy SL, they are nice with a little bit of a platform but my feet seem to move around a bit and thinking about trying a set of SPD's.

Getting in and out of them isnt a problem at all and mud isnt an issue.

I currently ride with a set of Candy SL, they are nice with a little bit of a platform but my feet seem to move around a bit and thinking about trying a set of SPD's.

Getting in and out of them isnt a problem at all and mud isnt an issue.

+1

Candy 3's here, look they are pimp and light, but more maintenance than shimano's

I have a set of XT pedals that I will fit before sani, they are really bombproof(fit and forget), but I will put the candy's back on for local races

Also the newer generation Candy's have sorted out a few maintenance issues.

A couple of you have now mentioned more maintenance, can you define exactly what you mean here.

G

Another option would be to keep Shimano, and simply use Shimano SM-SH56 multi-directional release cleats...

You have to rebuild them with a special Crank Brothers kit...1 kit = 1 rebuild. Not hard to do...maybe 20-30 minutes but they cost between 150-200 bucks for Candy 3's

Shimano...have yet to replace bearings on three sets I had...SPD 520, 540 and XT

A couple of you have now mentioned more maintenance, can you define exactly what you mean here.

G

The bearings disintegrate, had it happen the other day. However I way prefer the feel to my shimano. So I went and bought another pair. My thoughts are buy the cheaper ones and the internal build is exactly the same. The only difference is weight. The cheapest ones still weigh less than the Shimano xtr.

G

I've used mine for a year (150k's a week) no issues and no maintence

(Candy 3 1's) they float better or seem to so [i think] they are better for my knees (maybe :wacko: ).

Edited by ramsew

The bearings disintegrate, had it happen the other day. However I way prefer the feel to my shimano. So I went and bought another pair. My thoughts are buy the cheaper ones and the internal build is exactly the same. The only difference is weight. The cheapest ones still weigh less than the Shimano xtr.

Yip they crumble, and then the pedal doesnt spin freely.

just ammending my comment 1 Kit = 1 Rebuild of 2 pedals

I've used mine for a year (150k's a week) no issues and no maintence

(Candy 3's) they float better or seem to so [i think] they are better for my knees (maybe :wacko: ).

Some people actaully hate the float, with Candy's and eggbeaters you get 2 different settings of float depending on how you configure the cleats on your shoes. This float cannot be adjusted where the shimano's can

Another option would be to keep Shimano, and simply use Shimano SM-SH56 multi-directional release cleats...

+1 - It's amazing what difference there is between SM-SH51 and SM-SH56 cleats - the SM-SH56 cleats clip out so much easier than the 51's, and you can clip out in any direction...and as you get more confident you just adjust the tension on your Shimano pedals...I would recommend the 56's for anyone starting out with clipless pedals, they're amazing.

How do you set the clip in and out tension on the candy's

You can't the "clip out" tension is fixed and depending on how you configure the cleats on your shoes it will be either 6 or 9 deg(can't remember exact no's) float before the cleat releases from the pedal, you can adjust this on shimano spd's