Converting from 3x9 to 1x10

wesley_r

I've been toying with the idea of changing the drivetrain on my Commencal Meta 5.5 from 3x9 to 1x10. Well, that's not entirely accurate - currently I've got a bash guard on insted of a big ring, so technically it's 2x9.

Am I right in assuming that for the front, I can simply remove the little ring, run a 32 and add a chain guide?

For the rear, I need a new casette, derailler and shifter, right? And of course a new chain. Silly question perhaps, but do I need a new rear hub?

Anything else I'd need?

Sounds about right on all accounts. And no, you shouldn't need a new rear hub. I am not the most technically proficient guy around here though. You are bound to get some good advice from others ... perhaps after the long weekend :thumbup:

Edited by Pronutro

I've just done the conversion to 1x9 on my hardtail. All I need is a bash guard and a chain guide. Very easy to do.

BTW: why go to 10sp?

You won't need a new hub, but u will need a new rd, shifter and cassette.

cpt - 1x9 is definitely the way cheaper option - all I need is a chainguide. So I may indeed do that for now.

But 1x10 will give me that 1 extra gear on the back for climbing (at least that's the theory). Climbing on a 15.4kg trail rig is not fun on the middle ring :whistling:

Edited by the_wes

cpt - 1x9 is definitely the way cheaper option - all I need is a chainguide. So I may indeed do that for now.

But 1x10 will give me that 1 extra gear on the back for climbing (at least that's the theory). Climbing on a 15.4kg trail rig is not fun on the middle ring :whistling:

Granny gear and smallest one will be the same. It's just an extra gear shoved into the middle somewhere!

I'd keep it 1x9 dude. Just maybe change the cassette if you currently have an 11-34. Slap an 11-36 on there.

Edited by cptmayhem

Granny gear and smallest one will be the same. It's just an extra gear shoved into the middle somewhere!

I'd keep it 1x9 dude. Just maybe change the cassette if you currently have an 11-34. Slap an 11-36 on there.

Agree, I would keep the 1x9. 1x10 won't make a difference on the climbing gear. Of course, if you wanted an extra gear in the middle somewhere, to have a better spread, then 1x10 is the way to go. But you can always do that later. Either put a bigger cassette on, or go smaller in the front if you are going to climb a bit.

Thanks for the advice - I hadn't thought of it that way... 1x9 IS the WAY cheaper option - all I need is a chainguide.

Do the sums and figure out what that one extra gear wil cost you.

New RD, Cassette, chain........ That can add up to a fair whack and the marginal benefit is tiny. Spend it elsewhere and stay on 9 speed, IMHO

having said that, it doesn't seem like 11-36 cassettes are readily available?

I have a 9 speed 12-36 if you're interested

I'm about to make the 2 x9 change. What made you want to go down to 1?

Edited by Pain or Shine

I'm about to make the 2 x9 change. What made you want to go down to 1?

I don't actually know what my reason is.

I think I'm just full of crap :ph34r: I am curious as to whether there'll be a significant weight saving, plus the thought of having 1 less derailler and 1 less cable that need maintenance and can give hassles (as my FR currently is) would be nice. And I would like the security of a chain guide - having said I can always get a tensioner / roller to run with my current 2 ring setup

It's also the fact that I literally use 1 or 2 gears on the granny ring. Seems like a waste :blush:

By the way eddy I may be building up a 2nd bike - my old Mongoose Tyax hardtail - for puttering around with the family. So at some point I need to start collecting components for that, may as well upgrade my Commencal and "hand me down" the old drivetrain :thumbup:

Ha ha, ordered that exact colour yesterday!! Just in bb mount flavour... Going with a black bash ring and 24 36 rings.

Global consciousness happening there, dunno wy I went blue, but glad I did.