lumbar vertebra fusion! help!

Hi,guys! So it eventually happened! I have degenerative disc desease,the vertebral discs are crumbling,I've had it for years and I usually get a dull ache in my lower back,a little cramping and sometimes pins and needles in my bum and legs! I do daily core exercise which really helps until 2 days ago,while training my left leg spasmed and locked up totally,the most amazing pain hit me and I collapsed in the traffic and couldn't move! Two black guys saw me and dragged me to the side of the road! Now I am in Pta East hospital with two totally ruptured/slipped discs,L4/L5/S1 and the ruptured leaking gel is compressing my sciatic nerve,hence the lame leg!my facet joints are also ceased up! So,its no choice but a disc removal and S1/L5/L4 fussion! Now,has anybody out there had this done and were you able to train and race again? I've been in this sport for 27 years,got all my Prov and SA medals and Vets worlds selections! Is this now the end of my passion? Will I now have to be a couch hugger with a boep screaming at TV sport that I don't even do?

Find a proper chiro.

Your body is not a fixed mechanical entity , like your car or bike, it has several mechanisms to remove damaged tissue and regenerate tissue ( this may sound fantastic, but I have seen it done)

The intervertebral 'disc' is a connective tissue capsule. It has the ability to repair itself, if you remove the mechanical forces which are perpetuating the injury.

I am not giving medical advice, merely suggesting that there are alternatives which are worth trying, as the fusion will only shift the area of negative impact to the next level up /down.

i will advise you to get a 2nd opinion. try to avoid a fusion . remember this operation is most likely aimed at dealing with pain and not to avoid paralysis and the like if the symptoms in your leg is really severe there are other operations that can deal with that - like microdiscectomy. but again get another opinion i would say from a neurosurgeon that is not known to do many spinal operations - remember surgeons who are known to do many spinal operations will offer you surgery those that don't believe there are other/more minimally invasive ways of dealing with the problem.

I really hope it all works out for you. We'll pray for you. Best of luck.

Thumbs up to the guys who help you on the side of the road, when you really needed help. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Fusions are quite common for a number or reasons, and its an established science. I've got one above and below L1 (due to compression injury), no problems thus far but my limit is a three day mtb event.

Dr Dunn in CT did mine, very professional.

Good luck.

I have a lumbar fusion on two levels as well as a cervical fusion on two levels.

However I will never offer advice on an internet forum, apart from saying see a neurosurgeon or at least an orthopedic surgeon as soon as possible, although it seems you are already doing this.

This is not an injury you can take lightly and fiddle around with home remedies, and you need professional opinion and you need to heed that advice.

As for becoming a couch potato, - well, only if you want to, but there is no reason to, I made a full recovery after about 6 months healing time, where I had to either lay down or stand, I was not allowed to sit, and I wore a brace for much of the time, but I am 95% recovered and I cycle and run with no issues now at all, when I think back to the agony I endured to the extent I bought an automatic car as my left leg was so weak I could not even push the clutch.

Dont take internet advice, sorry I know people mean well, but spinal issues are not your common cold, listen to your neurosurgeon and take their solid professional medical advice.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

Thanks guys! I have had many chiro and psysio and it does help for a week or so but then all hell breaks loose! I also had a nerve reaction /function test and my left leg motor reflex is much poorer than my right due to the already damaged nerve! Basically,the operation is all I have left! I just want to know the chances of training and racing again! Cycling is not my sport,its my life!

Have you discussed the option of disc replacement as opposed to fusion with your Doc? Considering that you already have degeneration, fusing a few levels will probably cause other levels to degenerate faster resulting in more fusions at a later stage. I have a fusion in my neck and have regretted it ever since! Took ages to to recover and still isn't 100%. Hasn't stopped me from sports though nor did my popped L5 disc...

My old man (70yrs old) had 3 levels fused at once and is much better for it. All I can suggest is that you see a neuro surgeon who will work with an orthopedic. The Neuro will do the nerve work and the ortho the bone work.

post-21056-0-56864300-1334128793.jpg

post-21056-0-41785100-1334128828.jpg

post-21056-0-86455500-1334128847.jpg

As far as I have heard / understood Fusion is old school. (Most of the time) Discectomy is what they do these days.

Thanks guys! I have had many chiro and psysio and it does help for a week or so but then all hell breaks loose! I also had a nerve reaction /function test and my left leg motor reflex is much poorer than my right due to the already damaged nerve! Basically,the operation is all I have left! I just want to know the chances of training and racing again! Cycling is not my sport,its my life!

Only your medical team can tell you that, every operation and patient is different, but I made a full recovery as I said, and know of others who also had excellent results. I also had severe nerve damage so I can sympathize with you, the pain is incredible, good luck, I am sure you will be fine.

Thanks everyone for your input! Well,I better be able to ride again cos otherwise I am gonna clog up the classified section with 25 years worth of bikes,kit and memrobilia!

With these symptoms I think a fusion is the best option.

To put this into perspective - most people can return to sports like golf after a fusion; so you should be fine to return to cycling. Some adjustments to bike setup etc might be needed, and you will be out of action for a long time... But you should be much better off after the surgery than you would be without it...