Whats your winter riding kit?

DBK

Black garbage bag as a rain jacket, dont buy the cheap ones at the traffic lights you can't use them for more than three days. Surgical gloves over my cycling gloves, I get them for free at work. Plastic shopping bags over my shoes and lots of Vaseline on my legs to let water run off.

Pics or it didn't happen. Please?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Received some complaints about this topic. Posts have been removed.

Complaints over winter clothing?

self made buff - for neck and face

Thermal vest

Jersey

wind jammer

arm warmers

long finger gloves

bib short

leg warmers

shoes

shoe covers

toe covers

mj808e front light

ravx led rear light

..... and hope for a rainless day (I have a road bike...... but looking into the MTB scene)

Plastic shopping bags over my shoes....

Reminds of the time my cousin demanded very expensive pair of tennis shoes for school tennis (R800 in 1992), but discarded them after wearing them once due to the fact that they were not worn in. Cue a week later, when my uncle's garden technician comes to work. My uncle tells hime to wear the shoes whilst mowing the lawn, and off the mower goes. Ten minutes later the tech knocnks on the door, explaining that the shoes are getting green from the mown lawn. Uncle, being very practical, pull two shopping bags over the shoes and off the tech goes to finish the job.

It was the starngest sight, seeing this spectacle. Needless to say, the shoes were worn in, and at my uncle's insistence she tried the shoes again, this time praising the shoes for their comfort and effectiveness.

She only found out about ten years later how the transformation came about :ph34r:

I normally go out at 5am so...

Linebreak compression vest for moisture management (long sleeve with Spesh Jacket) short vest with Roubaix Arm warmers)

Specialized Fleece long riding jacket / Team Winter jacket, fleece lined.

Wind/Rain jacket over for windbreak

Sometimes a std jersey too if it's cold

Specialized Roubaix Full leg warmers.

Bibs

Pro H2O shoe covers (road)

Louis Garneau Full finger winter gloves

Specialized/Assos cotton cap under helmet.

MJ808E (+ MJ816 MTB)

Blackburn Rear light

I do need a proper waterproof rain jacket though... any good suggestions, and I mean downpour rain still dry for 2 hours stuff.

Edited by Tarmac's Revenge

Linebreak compression vest for moisture management (long sleeve with Spesh Jacket) short vest with Roubaix Arm warmers)

Bibs

MJ808E (+ MJ816 MTB)

Blackburn Rear light

I do need a proper waterproof rain jacket though... any good suggestions, and I mean downpour rain still dry for 2 hours stuff.

I also use LG winter gloves :thumbup: . I have a rain jacket from LOOK which is quit nice.post-26136-0-90273900-1334301761.jpg

post-26136-0-64350400-1334301955.jpg

Bibs

MJ808E (+ MJ816 MTB)

Blackburn Rear light

LOOK also makes an extreme rain jacket. PM MR LOOK. Don't know if he stocks whole range

post-26136-0-64350400-1334301955.jpgLOOK also makes an extreme rain jacket. PM MR LOOK. Don't know if he stocks whole range

I'm riding this shell for the winter here in CT.

http://www.assos.com/en/19/singleProduct.aspx?cat=6,19,28&prod=382

And this jersey for the cool mornings.

http://www.assos.com/en/19/singleProduct.aspx?cat=6,19,25&prod=166

Was gonna go white, but figured it would get messed up and not be able to clean it with the roads sometimes being a bit wet as well as the slight drizzle we sometimes get. Should I go white or black?

Thoughts on the gear? I'm new to cycling and to Cape Town (1yr) but am pretty addicted to the sport and train 5 times/week.

I am adding knee warmers and long finger gloves to my kit for cooler days. I don't have arm warmers or a gillet yet. Seems I should get some or do you think that the new jersey and rain/wind jacket will be good enough?

In Durbs we have to put another t-shirt thing over the 1st one............ :thumbup:

At 5 bells. But you can take it off by 8. :P

I started the Tour Durban with one of those longsleeved thermals you get at MR Price sports......by 8 am I was stewing nicely. Only finished at around 12, so I was well beyond overcooked :oops:

What is a buff

buff - shine, polish, clean

Buff - the thing the chicks on Survivor wear around their nethers.