OFFICIAL MODDERFONTEIN MTB TRAIL ANNOUNCEMENT

RickyTomCCMA

Went there yesterday for the first time. Took my folks with, in search of somewhere other than Northerns for the novice rider. Was most impressed with the trails and more so, the options available. There are plenty of places to go for technical riding but not many for the weekend warrior!

My folks loved it! I was able to turn off, do the singletracks and meet up with them again. Spoke to Grant after, who said he will be adding black routes over some of the rock faces, which will be awesome.

Will definitely be back, even if it's quite a drive from the West... :thumbup:

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hit the trail for the first time this weekend after being off my bike for 7 weeks due to broken arm, indeed the trail is not very technical but hell, for R40 its well worth it. I started off with the yellow route, but 10km in i realized that i was going to battle a bit as my fitness level has for obvious reasons taken a back seat i continued with the green markers. Did a total of 23km and although nothing to rant home about i was super impresses with the set-up. Nice parking facilities, coffee caravan on site (Got my fix right before starting) which Rietvlei usually only opens later (restaurant)

I would actually compare Modder more to something like Thaba Trail but without the steep and sometimes technical runs. Obviously being winter up in the high veld its a little dry and dusty at the moment, but if thats going to bother you perhaps you should take up play station instead?

I do not believe these 2 trails can be compared to one another as they are very different in many aspects, but yet both really do bring something special to the table. I had a great time and more importantly a great workout, just need to get the fitness back up to acceptable levels and i am sure i will be conquering Modderfontein very soon.

One small draw back but nothing too hectic is the fact that you are often passing oncoming traffic due to the various loops and this often happens on single jeep track, perhaps we can have the opened up a bit to assist with this?

Anyway, great track (and more importantly its fantastic that we East Randers finally have some place to call home right in our own backyard)

Modders is a magic venue for us who live 5km away train there on my SS two laps of 1xyellow and 1xgreen are 56km from my house with 900m odd climbing its a good workout on a SS, you hit the single track fast and not be awake you can come unstuck in a few places .

Took my wife for her first ever mtb ride ( actually first ever cycle ) this weekend and its the perfect place to do the family thing, Grant is doing alot of work and lets not forget that places like rietvlea all had to start some where too and grow from there in time this place is going to be the number one track to ride in jhb . .

Think we should arrange a group ride out there sometime? Iron has offered his tour guiding services...

Think we should arrange a group ride out there sometime? Iron has offered his tour guiding services...

Group ride all you muppits , how about 16th 8am ?

Went there yesterday for the first time. Took my folks with, in search of somewhere other than Northerns for the novice rider. Was most impressed with the trails and more so, the options available. There are plenty of places to go for technical riding but not many for the weekend warrior!

My folks loved it! I was able to turn off, do the singletracks and meet up with them again. Spoke to Grant after, who said he will be adding black routes over some of the rock faces, which will be awesome.

Will definitely be back, even if it's quite a drive from the West... :thumbup:

Move to the East :P It almost feels very short driving that now :blush:

what happened to the night ride mooted a few pages back?

Let's organise 1 :thumbup:

I'd def make that 1, but i've been told i'm riding some forest called Harkerville :whistling:

A few of us are going this Sunday - probably two groups - fast'n'slow. Or one group with geared and SSers. 8am at the ticket office...

Iron - you in? Hang on - you're doing Induna right?

Both groups/one group do their thing then meet up afterwards at 33 High Road (restaurant very close) - they make the best Prego Rolls. Ever. Coffee is splendid too...

Whos in?

A few of us are going this Sunday - probably two groups - fast'n'slow. Or one group with geared and SSers. 8am at the ticket office...

Both groups/one group do their thing then meet up afterwards at 33 High Road (restaurant very close) - they make the best Prego Rolls. Ever. Coffee is splendid too...

Whos in?

Dont you like me , why do it when im away racing .

Sniff sniff , ill go eat worms

Dont you like me , why do it when im away racing .

Sniff sniff , ill go eat worms

Wise guy - I'm racing in Cape Town on your suggested date...

Wise guy - I'm racing in Cape Town on your suggested date...

Fine, you have yours i will have mine :P

what happened to the night ride mooted a few pages back?

Cancelled? Then back to your coffin. Edited by Joe Low

Whos in?

Meeeeeeee :)

Ok fine i will go with Iron seeing that Eldorn only talks to guys with 29ers. :P :P