• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

try shaving your legs !

ALWAYS smoothe and tanned!!!!!

LOLLOL

Can't help thinking of the silversands poker ad on TV - the woman says shes stretching her long smooth legs etc. Then the catch line about enjoying bluffing.....

Nothing personal Strawberry MamaEmbarrassed, just forums are so cool like that...

try shaving your legs !

ALWAYS smoothe and tanned!!!!!

LOLLOL

Can't help thinking of the silversands poker ad on TV - the woman says shes stretching her long smooth legs etc. Then the catch line about enjoying bluffing.....

Nothing personal Strawberry MamaEmbarrassed' date=' just forums are so cool like that...
[/quote']

Not taken personally..........

When it comes to racing, I have to agree largely with madmarc - the person behind is ultimately reponsible for his/her actions. That said it is bad form to switch people, but mostly its unintentional. Usually its a result lack of skill on the part of one or both parties often coupled with fatigue especially on the part person at the back.

I've been switched a few times in races and can recall an instance where someone has bailed off my wheel. No one has ever stopped for me - on one occasion it was my own team mate that switched me - he said sorry at the finish, but ultimately it wasn't his fault anyway.

The only time I remember being really pissed off was being switched in the sprint on the last stage of the 'kremetart'. Coming down at over 60km/h hurt and the guy could have walked back the last 100m and said sorry, because it was a clear switch. (he had taken down someone else in a similar fashion earlier that day as well).

If its just a fun ride/training session, then I'd say its bad form not to stop.

Now the question arises - what is everyones definition of racing? i.e. when does a fun ride become a race?

greatwhite2008-01-07 06:19:03

greatwhite, when it's IN a bunch then yes, the person behind should be keeping clear, but when you are well over a meter away to the side, coming past, and the person at the back of the bunch has no reason to swing that far out then it is THEIR fault if they don't fscking check that it's clear behind them to swing that far out, especially if they don't indicate in any way that they are about to do so.

greatwhite' date=' when it's IN a bunch then yes, the person behind should be keeping clear, but when you are well over a meter away to the side, coming past, and the person at the back of the bunch has no reason to swing that far out then it is THEIR fault if they don't fscking check that it's clear behind them to swing that far out, especially if they don't indicate in any way that they are about to do so.[/quote']

your initial post you indicated that you were switched. After your last few posts(uitkaks) it seems the person rode into you or you into them whilst everyone was taking some evasive action to miss a pothole. there is a difference. Switching = 1 rider wheel usually the front rider hitting a wheel of a rider behind due to overlapping of wheels. ie. you were not switched.

Also bear in mind that in a group the front rider has the line and right of way especially through a corner. One cannot honestly expect all riders in front of you to look behind them every time there is a direction change in the group. None of the group would make it to the finish line, and all would be apologising to each other in the hospital ward.

We are not saying you were in the wrong, you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. There are 2 types of cyclists "those who have fallen and those who are going to fall" you just joined the latter.

The responses to your topic are other cyclists opinions which i assume you wanted when you did the post, so stop attacking and bashing every response that you don't agree with. Get over it and move on!!

What happens if the rider directly in front of you brakes hard for no reason????? and you then get taken out trying to get around them????? Who's fault is it then?

madmarc, it is just your comment that it is always the person behind's fault - it is not. and if you are going to swing out further than the bunch you are with is swinging hten you should check as otherwise no-one would ever be able to get past any bunches. also you cannot assume that no-one will ever catch up to your little group. she swiped my front wheel out from under me int he same manner as a switch would occfur, but apparently a good 2 meters or so away from the bunch with which she had been riding. ie my only issue is with your implication that it was my fault. i am more than happy to concede when it was my fault (eg flying off a bridge when mtb'ing) but to assume that the error always lies with the person behind is just plain daft. by the way, i hope you never have the cheek to call out "hold your line" cos it appears that your view is that the line is whatever the person ahead of you wishes it to be, erratic or not.

Why would someone break hard in a group for no reason??? cycling is not an exact science, it is a combination of skill & experience. Anticipating what is going to happen next in the group is part of that skill & experience. Obviously bringing down cyclists by sudden breaking would be his fault, but that does not change the fact that you are still down and hurt. However riding near the front (front 10 positions) of the group or staying on the outside (keeping your right side clear) would mostly keep you out of theses dangerous situations.

Besides, if i were to cause 5 or 10 cyclist to crash because i made a dumbass move in the group. There is no way in hell i'm going to stop. roadies being roadies would probably bliksem me six ways from Sunday, while i was trying to apologise.

Hi Scott24,

unfortunately, during a race it's a matter of continuing to race. If a rider has any class, they will seek you out and apologize afterwards. This sort of thing isn't confined to roadies only. I've seen plenty of trackies cause accidents or come down on riders and really $%#$ things up for their opponent (boy, would I love to name names) yet no apology is forthcoming.

greatwhite' date=' when it's IN a bunch then yes, the person behind should be keeping clear, but when you are well over a meter away to the side, coming past, and the person at the back of the bunch has no reason to swing that far out then it is THEIR fault if they don't fscking check that it's clear behind them to swing that far out, especially if they don't indicate in any way that they are about to do so.[/quote']

As they say: assumption is the mother of all fsck (that's how U spell it right?) ups!

The person that switched you assumed no one was coming past and you assumed no one would switch you.....

madmarc' date=' reality check dude...

according to the witnesses the following occured:

- a bunch came around a corner. there was a pothole and the bunch opened up around it.

- i came around the corner faster tahn the bunch - appreaing to be overtaking.

- i saw what was happening and moved wide

- the girl at the back of the bunch overreacted and swerved out much wider than the bunch and took me out

[/quote']

1. Overtaking a whole bunch means they were slow riders. slow rider = lower bike handling skill level (as a broad sweeping statement)

2. There was a pothole & people were swerving to avoid it - for all she knew people ahead of her were swerving to avoid a crash - certainly no time to look around for a highly improbable overtaker.

Not really your fault, but it could be argued not really hers either.

It sucks when you get crashed by someone, I know, but move on and be glad you not dead like a guy I saw killed by an oncoming car when he swerved out to avoid a bunch crash.

As for the ettiquette, It would be nice if the prepetrator stops, but ultimately its not going to fix the wounds or unbend the bike is it?

madmarc' date=' it is just your comment that it is always the person behind's fault - it is not. and if you are going to swing out further than the bunch you are with is swinging hten you should check as otherwise no-one would ever be able to get past any bunches. also you cannot assume that no-one will ever catch up to your little group. she swiped my front wheel out from under me int he same manner as a switch would occfur, but apparently a good 2 meters or so away from the bunch with which she had been riding. ie my only issue is with your implication that it was my fault. i am more than happy to concede when it was my fault (eg flying off a bridge when mtb'ing) but to assume that the error always lies with the person behind is just plain daft. by the way, i hope you never have the cheek to call out "hold your line" cos it appears that your view is that the line is whatever the person ahead of you wishes it to be, erratic or not.[/quote']

Slowpoke - i said 99% of the time, not all the time. And i have never used the term "HOLD YOUR LINE" and the only time i would use it would be if i was next to a cyclist who was drifting towards me through a corner. If he were in front of me i would have to brake and readjust my own line. I have only ever used "ON YOU RIGHT" or "ON YOUR LEFT" when passing slower cyclists in a straight line. If i choose to jump the group through a corner i take the risk and accept that someone in front of me could do the same and take me out, but that would not make it his fault and i would not expect him to bow down on his knees and apologise.

Accept it as the risks of the sport and don't expect appologies. If you want to garranty 100% that you won't crash or get crashed into then stay out of the groups

I think it would be NICE if folk apologised, especially if they knew they caused an accident, but I doubt its ever going to happen.

The answer is really to stay out of unstable bunches, I find riding in the Vets bunches the group is much more stable and theres constant communication amongst the cyclists, (occassionally its not pretty, but hey, if it keeps me of the floor, thats fine.)

Riding in small events where there is no Vet catagory is just plain scary to me, the "squirrels" are weaving in and out of the bunch, there are folk who are wobelling around, theres the guy / gals plainly out of his / her depth and you just know they is gonna crash soon - Naaaa, one of the reasons I dont race the small events anymore.