Telling people you haven't done the Epic.

Shebeen

common question: so have you done the Epic?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. what's your response when people ask if you've done it?

• it's too expensive
    • it's too tough
    • can't find the right partner
    • it's on the bucket list
    • kak route
    • don't give a sh1t about the posers and their $$$$$$

"Waiting for it to get harder" :thumbup:

Was asked this about it this week; would be the equivalent of achieving space travel in my Honda.

& like the previous guy said, anything you say sounds a bit lame.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my pet hates as a mtb'er, as soon as the mtb topic comes up between me & non-mtb'ing friends, family, colleagues, acquaintances etc, I invariably gets asked " So when are you doing the Epic???". Mo matter what excuse you give, it always sounds kind of lame.

Just tell them as soon as they sponsor you to ride it.

Well,clearly you haven't done the epic. If your limited insight and expression here is the reason for you not doing the epic then you are just bullshitting yourselve.

The freedom challenge aims at something completely different. Bot events are hard, you just gotta be prepared and up for it.

No I haven't and all I said was it isn't for me.

Punt starts: An interesting alternative is the Epic Trippers event that runs in on the same route at the same time as the Hairy Epic. It's put together by my riding buddy Di Thomas (who's done 4 Epics and the Freedom Challenge twice) - she's part of the team that maps the Epic route every year.

Check out http://www.daytrippers.co.za/cape-epic-cycle-tour-2012.php - at R14,5k you get to cycle most of the route, you sleep and eat in a B&B (not a tent on a rugby field), and get to experience the beauty of the trail. Punt ends.

You don't get the glory badge though.

No I haven't and all I said was it isn't for me.

Punt starts: An interesting alternative is the Epic Trippers event that runs in on the same route at the same time as the Hairy Epic. It's put together by my riding buddy Di Thomas (who's done 4 Epics and the Freedom Challenge twice) - she's part of the team that maps the Epic route every year.

Check out http://www.daytrippe...e-tour-2012.php - at R14,5k you get to cycle most of the route, you sleep and eat in a B&B (not a tent on a rugby field), and get to experience the beauty of the trail. Punt ends.

You don't get the glory badge though.

Firstly for or all the chaps who keep saying they'll tell you, here goes....

I've done the Epic.. Yep, been there, done that, got the tshirt AND the badge.

Yep, rand for rand there is plenty you could do elsewhere differently, but the one thing few of you are considering is that for 8 days you get to live what it would feel like to race a bicycle for a living. The whole atmosphere of being a part of a race that gets the calibre of riders that the Epic does, sitting next to them in the dinner tent, relaxing around the various refuel spots once you've got through the logistics of the day is what makes this scream value. You will only know this once you have lived it yourself.