Coffee machine

If you get a chance, drop into the Food Lover's Market at Nicollway Center. They sell a Nicaraguan Sovereign bean there that is by far and away my favourite. They can grind for you too.

Thanks will give the beans a try

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nespresso is the first one that comes to my mind.

And then Lavazza (I bought an old model a while ago and really like it)

They both use pods which come in different strengths and blends

Groupon have 50% off on those Lavazza's regularly, check if theres a special on it at the moment.

Nespresso!!!!!!! Pods can be bought in bulk

As opposed to buying 1 kg of my favorite coffee from a local roaster..mellow.png And it costs R 180 for 1 kg thumbup1.gif

How much would 1 kg of pods work out to?

As opposed to buying 1 kg of my favorite coffee from a local roaster..mellow.png And it costs R 180 for 1 kg thumbup1.gif

Pods are sold in boxes of 10 for R 55- 65 a box depending on the blend.

Pods are sold in boxes of 10 for R 55- 65 a box depending on the blend.

Ok, so assuming the use around 30 g of grind per pod the price difference is marginalthumbup1.gif (300g per box, or R 165 for three boxes totaling 00 g) Difference is that you are not stuck with the same blend.

I would say this, Nespresso makes 90% perfect coffee 100% of the time, where as manually after some practice you will get perfect coffee all the time. The win lies in the effort, or lack thereof with a Nespresso machinethumbup1.gif

Groupon have 50% off on those Lavazza's regularly, check if theres a special on it at the moment.

I hope that father xmas brings me a Nespresso U

I wont go back to Lavazza. The coffee is nice, but the machines are a PITA

My sister in law took hers for repair 2 or 3 times within the first year

Thin acidic coffee is the general tendency at restaurants. Hate it

Stale beans effect almost certainly - sometimes (mostly) it's undrinkable as espresso.

1kg of coffee should generate (using the Italian standard of 7g of coffee per single and 14g per double espresso) 142 single espresso's and 71 doubles - there is generally some waste, so about 120 singles and 60 doubles is a better measure - so about R1.50 per single shot

I generally updose a bit too - around 17- 18g per double.

I weighed a nespresso capsule including the packaging at 7.6g - so in round numbers, R4 extra per cup over doing it the right way.

2000 cups of coffee to break even on a reasonable espresso machine and grinder (excluding the cost of the nespresso machine)..... 7 cups a day for a year....

Assume the nespreso machine costs R2500 and you are down to about 4 cups a day for a year for payback.

Nespresso is great innovation, and the taste is good, but I prefer the taste of a real espresso brewed with freshly roasted beans.

I also did a cost comparison to see what machine and grinder combo I can buy instead of a nespresso machine:

(Please note this is specific to my coffee needs ie 4 single espressos per day)

post-4006-0-82457900-1354185249_thumb.jpg

I also did not take the convenience that Nespresso brings to the pary, into account.

Edited by Brian Fantana

Nespresso is great innovation, and the taste is good, but I prefer the taste of a real espresso brewed with freshly roasted beans.

I also did a cost comparison to see what machine and grinder combo I can buy instead of a nespresso machine:

(Please not this is specific to my coffee needs ie 4 single espressos per day)

post-4006-0-82457900-1354185249_thumb.jpg

I also did not take the convenience that Nespresso brings to the pary, into account.

Bit of a no brainer there....

Works out just a little differently if you buy one of these for Christmas - a 2 group one....

http://www.keesvande...t-pictures.html

smile.png smile.png smile.png

Reminds me of the 50's era.. That is nice but that would never make it into my house.... Price of the Speedster is € 5.800 !!! Wonder what the Spirit costs? My budget would be stretched blown at the Gaggia Baby.....!

Reminds me of the 50's era.. That is nice but that would never make it into my house.... Price of the Speedster is € 5.800 !!! Wonder what the Spirit costs? My budget would be stretched blown at the Gaggia Baby.....!

More... good thing it's prettier than the Speedster. Design wise it's modelled on the dash panel from the 'Spirit of St Lois' - a modern work of art indeed.

They are priced individually, depending on some of the options you choose - fortunately for me the wife said NO.... several hundred times and at high volume... cursing.gif hasn't said a word to me since... and remodeling her wedding ring in platinum did not work either...

They are pretty...! Custom coffee machines. Who'd have thought!

I'll stick with an Aeropress from Father Christmas.

They say that it is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.... Unfortunately you already went down the permission road other wise you could have assisted permission with ignorance!!