Singletrack-up or down.

The Search

I had a good chuckle and thought of this thread when I saw rider with a jump bike & potty helmet walking up that berm yesterday afternoon.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all. Courtesy and goodwill to all must prevail. But if we are looking for a rule of thumb, this is the way I see it as it is the safest.

good man. And yes, I do know why everyone likes the down-has-right-of-way side of things. Heck, I like it too. But if the rules say up is the ROW holder, then so it must be. But not to the point where he doesn't give over because Might is Right...

I had a good chuckle and thought of this thread when I saw rider with a jump bike & potty helmet walking up that berm yesterday afternoon.

Dude, I saw a guy on an XC 29er riding up the berm yesterday. And I was on my XCAMHT with my (pienk) pottie helmet on my head. I had to stop just next to the first beeg jump (the stumpie - kicks a bit) to wait for my mate who is getting back to grips with Singletrack.

What time were you riding?

Yeah iron in the 4x4 world, theres not peace of singletrack ive ever ridden where you cannot stop and start again. thats in my mind at least the most useless methodology ever conceived in relation to a mountain bike. I can understand it with a car since you need that momentum to get over rocks and boulders and you can get stuck in sand etc. Which at the end of the day involves wenches pullies and big headaces.

But that has nothing to do with MTB and does not take any safty measures into account. Hence if i ride up the ST i will ALWAYS give the guys comming down right of way. They got to the top before me, and they deserve the right to enjoy their ride. I simply have to clip back in start pedaling again to make it to the top so i can enjoy the ride down.

Yeah iron in the 4x4 world, theres not peace of singletrack ive ever ridden where you cannot stop and start again. thats in my mind at least the most useless methodology ever conceived in relation to a mountain bike. I can understand it with a car since you need that momentum to get over rocks and boulders and you can get stuck in sand etc. Which at the end of the day involves wenches pullies and big headaces.

But that has nothing to do with MTB and does not take any safty measures into account. Hence if i ride up the ST i will ALWAYS give the guys comming down right of way. They got to the top before me, and they deserve the right to enjoy their ride. I simply have to clip back in start pedaling again to make it to the top so i can enjoy the ride down.

Agreed, the 4x4 logic is completly daft. I always get out out the way for guys coming down the hill. They are having more fun than me. That's what mountain biking is about.

Guest Omega Man

good man. And yes, I do know why everyone likes the down-has-right-of-way side of things. Heck, I like it too. But if the rules say up is the ROW holder, then so it must be. But not to the point where he doesn't give over because Might is Right...

Ja. I'm a downhiller myself and I'd love the rule to be downhill has right of way. I guess the question is who's rules do we follow? IMBA or CSA/PPA. Or do we follow the Might is Right rule?

Of course a little signage at the trail entrances and some mutual respect would make all of these debates a mute point.

Interestingly. In the gravity orientated bike parks in Europe if you are caught pushing or riding up the trails you lift pass gets taken away immediately and you get told not to come back.

Ja. I'm a downhiller myself and I'd love the rule to be downhill has right of way. I guess the question is who's rules do we follow? IMBA or CSA/PPA. Or do we follow the Might is Right rule?

Of course a little signage at the trail entrances and some mutual respect would make all of these debates a mute point.

Interestingly. In the gravity orientated bike parks in Europe if you are caught pushing or riding up the trails you lift pass gets taken away immediately and you get told not to come back.

Lifts for Tokai?

run/duck/roll...

Guest Omega Man

Lifts for Tokai?

run/duck/roll...

Haha. Not gonna happen brah.

Besides. You are gonna get a whole raft of comments about only soft okes ride lifts blah blah blah.

Oh. I rode that Rinkals trail today. (In the pissing driving rain) fun

Edited by Omega Man

Haha. Not gonna happen brah.

Besides. You are gonna get a whole raft of comments about only soft okes ride lifts blah blah blah.

ROFL. You and me both wear pink sparkly magenta helmets, bro... Plus, I've ridden my Geeeee Teeee all the way up to the top of DH1, in full kit. I doubt many of the weight weenies out there would be able to do the same.

OH - and I may be soft in places, but it hits just as hard...

Edited by cptmayhem

Dude, I saw a guy on an XC 29er riding up the berm yesterday. And I was on my XCAMHT with my (pienk) pottie helmet on my head. I had to stop just next to the first beeg jump (the stumpie - kicks a bit) to wait for my mate who is getting back to grips with Singletrack.

What time were you riding?

I think I left the car park @ about 3:15 and was out again @ about 4:30 or so. Up Fairy Garden, then the fire road and up to the saddle, down and across level 5 for a bit and then down the single tracks again. It was a very quick whirl around as I was under time pressure.

It was so nice to be there. I havent been in ages!

One things for sure: dont ride up the DH tracks :thumbup:

Y not?

Simple. 'cause guys like you apparently only look 5-10m ahead when descending ! :eek: :nuke:

Guest Omega Man

Simple. 'cause guys like you apparently only look 5-10m ahead when descending ! :eek: :nuke:

I just look at the front wheel.

I think I left the car park @ about 3:15 and was out again @ about 4:30 or so. Up Fairy Garden, then the fire road and up to the saddle, down and across level 5 for a bit and then down the single tracks again. It was a very quick whirl around as I was under time pressure.

It was so nice to be there. I havent been in ages!

Mighta seen you then, 'cos we were there from 3h15 / 3h20 or so. Rode up the fire road, up to Boomslang and did that a couple of times. Then I hit all the ST down (incl Snake Eyes which is AWESOME now - pat myself on the back) and showed my mate the virtues of Vasbyt/Meurants after the berm...

ja.. probably, i dont have the lack of speed to ride with my nose in the air...

Exactly... My main point was that we should all employ some common sense and decency. None of this "outta my way i have ROW and I am bigger/better/smaller/faster than you" but rather a common goal of enjoying the trail...

When I'm SHUTTLING down I call out if there's anyone coming up - essentially saying "COMING THROUGH!" if it's a portion where it would be impossible for me to stop. If not, I do generally slow down and go off-trail so that I effectively bypass the problem.

Mayhem if people actually had common sense your theory would work in general ...... people are just common without the sense.