French & Swiss Alps 2012

patches

Guest Omega Man

Don't forget Travel Insurance - prob the most NB thing if you need to get airlifted and sent home.

Done. I'm covered for 50 bar in Medevac and the like. I don't want to have to sell a kidney in a Swiss hospital to be discharged. Haha.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

Can't wait for the pics when you return! I have to do this trip one day!!!

Not one day bru. Next year. I know at least 4 Capetownians that are going again next year.

Done. I'm covered for 50 bar in Medevac and the like. I don't want to have to sell a kidney in a Swiss hospital to be discharged. Haha.

Is that euros or rands?

A friend of mine broke his collar bone and the chopper ride cost him 2500 euros

Guest Omega Man

Is that euros or rands?

A friend of mine broke his collar bone and the chopper ride cost him 2500 euros

That's Rands. Yeah. the rescue chopper cost's 2000 euro JUST to pick you up. but 5 million Euro cover is enough i reckon.

Guest Omega Man

I've been waiting a while to be able to say this. I'm going to France NEXT WEEK!

Bike has been given a little love. It's feeling so good right now. I put the dropper on and It's going to the shop to get packed on Wednesday.

That's Rands. Yeah. the rescue chopper cost's 2000 euro JUST to pick you up. but 5 million Euro cover is enough i reckon.

I thought it was 50K :blush:

Guest Omega Man

1 week people. It's gonna be pretty clear on our first riding day. Morning rain but that's it. I've got a Cane Creek Double barrel for the dh bike. I'm really getting amped now.

Guest Omega Man

Right so I'm off in 2 days. One guy from our crew Tom left last night. I might post stuff while I'm there but I'm hoping to rather be riding. I'll post up pics when I get back. so this is my last PA (Pre Alps) post. This in my updated budget at this point.

Plane Ticket. R7800 (Paid)

Visa. R625 (Paid)

Travel Insurance R810 (Paid)

Airport Shuttle. R 600

Bike Packing. R100

Lift Pass. R1400 (13 day PDS pass)

Accom. R2000

Spending Money. R 4800. I'm going big here. 40 Euro a day for 11 days. 11 Ronts for 1 Euro.

I've bought other bits specifically for the trip but I'm not counting them into the overall cost cos I'll be re using them when I come Home.

Smith Roll off goggles R250

Fujisomething camera R1500

Rain jacket. R800 (WTF????)

So that's just over 18k ALL IN for 11 days of riding in the Swiss and French Alps. that's a LOT less than an entry to the Epic. Yes i won't have the all important Epic sticker on my bike but on balance I'd prefer riding in the alps for 2 weeks than eating other peoples dust and sleeping in a tent on a school field for 7 days.

Edited by Omega Man

Lucky man! We still have some weeks to wait!

Visa appointment on thursday. They rushed me over 800 ZA Ronds... I guess that's cos of the Capago service fee. They better give me a visa for charging me that!

i say this with utmost respect.... **** you guy :thumbup:

enjoy it. keen to see some pics when you return.

im itching to do this now. but i dont think the other half would be too impressed. i guess i can try sell her on the fact that there will be plenty guys for her to eye **** but other than that im guessing there is little entertainment for people off slope during the day

Guest Omega Man

i say this with utmost respect.... **** you guy :thumbup:

enjoy it. keen to see some pics when you return.

im itching to do this now. but i dont think the other half would be too impressed. i guess i can try sell her on the fact that there will be plenty guys for her to eye **** but other than that im guessing there is little entertainment for people off slope during the day

Ok I lied about it being my last post.

I wouldn't take the wife along for more than a few days if she doesn't ride. If she does ride then you are laughing cos there's lots of trail variety to keen everyone entertained.

If she doesn't ride you can try doing a sharing thing. 1 week in Paris 1 week in Morzine.

Fly in to Paris (or any other European city). Spend a week there doing romance stuff and then catch a trian to Geneva. (It's 500km from Paris to Geneva)

Stick the wifey on a plane home from Paris or take her to Morzine. Spend a week in Morzine riding. She will be bored in Morzine after a few days (especially without a car) but it is a Beautiful part of the world.

I was going to do that with my wife but she wants to go to the states with a friend.

Your biggest single expense for a euro trip will be the plane ticket. If you are clever about restaurants and accomodation it can be a relatively cheap trip.

Edited by Omega Man

I've been waiting a while to be able to say this. I'm going to France NEXT WEEK!

Bike has been given a little love. It's feeling so good right now. I put the dropper on and It's going to the shop to get packed on Wednesday.

Are you one of the boys who have given their bike to Action Cycles for a little love and care before your damned awesome holiday?

So far I count 5 hubbers making the pilgrimage this year:

Myself & Peach (9th - 23rd August)

Super_mil & his bicycle gang (14th - 28th August)

Omega Man & his bicycle gang (late June - early July)

DaveMD (not sure on his details)

So who else is spending part of their winter riding ski lifts, and endless trails?

Add me....Add me!

I'm going for 3 months! Yeeeha! :clap:

Yeah Omega was thinking just that.

Thing is i think we are more likely to do a swiss trip in snowy season before that.

She skis i snowboard and we have free accommodation up there so we shall see what happens :)

Guest Omega Man

Are you one of the boys who have given their bike to Action Cycles for a little love and care before your damned awesome holiday?

Ja my bike (white Makulu) and 2 other mates bikes were in there last week. Devinci Wilson and a Candy Red Makulu.