What GPS unit to buy !

Fair enough. When I mtb I do leave my Galaxy at home. I take an old 6120Navigator (ex contract phone, so no extra cost - has a payg mtn sim, that I feed airtime from my regular phone's loyalty points) with me. SportsTracks is still perfect for me. Know what's on my mtb Handlebars other than grips, shifters, stem and my hands? Nothing.

Shifters :whistling:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shifters :whistling:

Ya, ya. One day when I'm not so big, I'll downgrade to a silly delivery bike that has only one gear ratio.

Garmin Edge 500!!!

Just got mine, ABSOLUTELY amazing!!!

Did the setup without needing any booklet, YES it is that easy.

Really cool customizations.

Loving it, so far...

Did the setup without needing any booklet, YES it is that easy.

Shew. Just like all my gps phones.

C'mon, no way you can compare your phone "gps" to an Edge 500 or Edge 800.

Does it display temperature, speed, cadence, hr, time and averages of everything?

Does the battery actually LAST for the entire ride?

Can you work it while riding, is it responsive and the screen viewable?

Is it robust enough to take some wear and tear such as rainy weather and the odd bail-out every now and then?

Is it reliable and accurate?

Stop stuffing around, if you want a special purpose device to track your training, your rides, your routes, and all ove the above then you need to get a proper GPS based cycling unit.

You can get an edge 500 bundle for under 3k these days, it has an awesome warranty by GARMIN in SA and it will most likely last you 4, 5 or 6 and more years?

And although i'm an edge fanboy there are other gps cycling units around which offer just the same great benefits...

Ppppffft@using mobile phone as gps/cycling computer... not cool.

It's just about as dumb as using your microwave oven to make coffee... it's possible.. but stupid because that why you have a Kettle....

C'mon, no way you can compare your phone "gps" to an Edge 500 or Edge 800.

Does it display temperature, speed, cadence, hr, time and averages of everything?

Is it robust enough to take some wear and tear such as rainy weather and the odd bail-out every now and then?

Stop stuffing around, if you want a special purpose device to track your training, your rides, your routes, and all ove the above then you need to get a proper GPS based cycling unit.

You can get an edge 500 bundle for under 3k these days, it has an awesome warranty by GARMIN in SA and it will most likely last you 4, 5 or 6 and more years?

And although i'm an edge fanboy there are other gps cycling units around which offer just the same great benefits...

It's just about as dumb as using your microwave oven to make coffee... it's possible.. but stupid because that why you have a Kettle....

I can't agree. I have an Edge and have used it for a few years. I recently 'upgraded' to an iPhone mounted on my handlebars in a shockproof, waterproof case.

I ran the Edge and the iPhone together for a while to compare results, they give very similar accuracy except the iPhone is a large colour display with many more screens of information. You can also be online and send your position while you are training to someone if you wish. There are just so many more options available including heart rate monitor and cadence on one display (and recorded together as one event)

I have to agree that the battery life is its weak spot, I get just over 3 hours with screen and gps always on.

All that is wonderful but the OP asked for "something fairly easy to use and can indicate speed,distance,time,profile of your ride"

Phone - check!

Great, just under the price of my entire bike. Think I'd rather get me a second bike thanks.

Ah, an image boy....

I think you'll find we covered this already.... most of us prefer to have our phones on us as it is so why not use it.

I can Answer Yes to all of the above. I have had my battery last for more than a few hours....... up to 7hr. It doesn't display temp and Cadence, however, all other USEFULL info is available, including averages. HR is availbale with any compatible HRM. Handlebar mounting solutions are availble, but I find that a good robust BodyGlove case works well (with a bit of tuning). The obvious disadvantage is weight, but that is neglegable, as well as cost of replacing an expensive handset, but your handset does not need to be expensive.

I have been using a phone for 18 months with no issues :clap:

That being said........ I'll probably be getting the Ryder 35 soon

what other gps apps are good for iphone, will try endomondo tomorrow

I use cyclemeter. Brilliant!

Battery life is not bad... Had it work for more than 10 hours. I put the iphone in a waterproof baggie I got at the 94.7 and then in my pocket/camelback. Next is to get an ANT+ supported shockproof case which will also add cadence, HR, power etc. although personally in no hurry to add that... Tons of info on std. cyclemeter...

Map, profile, speed graphs, splits, rides saved to calendar, comparitive info while riding, calories etc. You can also use the earphones and it tells you where you are compared to previous rides on the same route i.e. seconds behind best or ahead of worst ride etc.

Check it out here http://www.abvio.com/cyclemeter/

I think it is $2.99 on the app store. 5 star app.

Edited by Falagar

I can't agree. I have an Edge and have used it for a few years. I recently 'upgraded' to an iPhone mounted on my handlebars in a shockproof, waterproof case.

I ran the Edge and the iPhone together for a while to compare results, they give very similar accuracy except the iPhone is a large colour display with many more screens of information. You can also be online and send your position while you are training to someone if you wish. There are just so many more options available including heart rate monitor and cadence on one display (and recorded together as one event)

I have to agree that the battery life is its weak spot, I get just over 3 hours with screen and gps always on.

So no kremetart or trans baviaans or just about any 70 km marathon then?

I wouldn't be able to use it.

All that is wonderful but the OP asked for "something fairly easy to use and can indicate speed,distance,time,profile of your ride"

Phone - check!

Great, just under the price of my entire bike. Think I'd rather get me a second bike thanks.

Ah, an image boy....

I think you'll find we covered this already.... most of us prefer to have our phones on us as it is so why not use it.

Your phone cost more than your bike???

Maybe you should get a new one...

Phone - check!

Ah, an image boy....

ROTFLMAO.... finally it strikes me....you guys are all iPhone fanboy's.... that what this is all about.

In any case, if your phone is so GREAT... and you use it SO often....

Please provide your stava.com profile name as an example so that we can see how much you use it and how well it works? Any takers, all the people who's phones work SOOOO well? Please show us.

Yes... your phone can "work" for a ride or two... but I bet you dont actually USE it...3-4 times a week for months???

Edited by TheV

Thanks for being honest about the battery, your the first to admit that.

If you have used it for 18 months, can you please provide us with a profile name for strava.com so that we can see how much you use it as an example?

Edited by TheV

ROTFLMAO.... finally it strikes me....you guys are all iPhone fanboy's.... that what this is all about.

In any case, if your phone is so GREAT... and you use it SO often....

Please provide your stava.com profile name as an example so that we can see how much you use it and how well it works? Any takers, all the people who's phones work SOOOO well? Please show us.

Yes... your phone can "work" for a ride or two... but I bet you dont actually USE it...3-4 times a week for months???

I am an iPhone fanboy - love it. It's just nowhere as good as my garmin for cycling.

I am an iPhone fanboy - love it. It's just nowhere as good as my garmin for cycling.

Amen brother!

what other gps apps are good for iphone, will try endomondo tomorrow

I have no idea. I've been using the app for a while now. Check the app store there are a few on there.