Cycling Traffic thru Delta Park

Judge

Wow - did you reach zone4 in your response there?

You guys take this thread way too seriously, simply because even if we all agreed on our little community "thehub" to do the "right" thing and respect each-other and behave perfectly while on the parks then you will STILL find people who out of either spite or stupidity behave like idiots, just because its the south african way....it's our mentality. You can substitute the walkers, the dogs, the cyclists, the park, with many other similar issues such as road, traffic, queues, movie cinemas's, shopping malls, business, and SA life in general.

We dont care about each-other and we all act selfishly and righteously because we think we are entitled to something because of our skin colour, age, size, looks, associations or many other reasons...

You giving me your little speech doesn't make you any better because I bet you are not perfect yourself Mr.

So when I said "stay out of my way or I ride over you" -- I was actually just baiting you and you hooked like the pretentious fool that most of us are. because instead of trying to engage me in a friendly way you immediately became the perfect one and scolded me for the "uneducated, intolerant, selfish and juvenile" I am.

How lucky am I to be addressed by you the Tolerant, Educated, Generous and Mature cornerstone of our society?

Sadly this is what the hub has come to: Dishonest arguments. Let's argue not to score cheap points, but because we have a relevant point of view.

Not pointing fingers, but using it as an example of the symptoms of the greater disease.

Some more of it in the "What GPS unit" thread.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly this is what the hub has come to: Dishonest arguments. Let's argue not to score cheap points, but because we have a relevant point of view.

Not pointing fingers, but using it as an example of the symptoms of the greater disease.

Some more of it in the "What GPS unit" thread.

yes dad. ill try better next time.

Wow - did you reach zone4 in your response there?

You guys take this thread way too seriously, simply because even if we all agreed on our little community "thehub" to do the "right" thing and respect each-other and behave perfectly while on the parks then you will STILL find people who out of either spite or stupidity behave like idiots, just because its the south african way....it's our mentality. You can substitute the walkers, the dogs, the cyclists, the park, with many other similar issues such as road, traffic, queues, movie cinemas's, shopping malls, business, and SA life in general.

We dont care about each-other and we all act selfishly and righteously because we think we are entitled to something because of our skin colour, age, size, looks, associations or many other reasons...

You giving me your little speech doesn't make you any better because I bet you are not perfect yourself Mr.

So when I said "stay out of my way or I ride over you" -- I was actually just baiting you and you hooked like the pretentious fool that most of us are. because instead of trying to engage me in a friendly way you immediately became the perfect one and scolded me for the "uneducated, intolerant, selfish and juvenile" I am.

How lucky am I to be addressed by you the Tolerant, Educated, Generous and Mature cornerstone of our society?

QED

A popcorn topic. We are never gonna agree. How about this: dont walk your dog. Rather take your bike and ride with your dog.

My opinion (and I ride the delta/spruit area a lot more than I walk K there) is that dogs have the right of way.

QED

7 Deadly sins of narcissism:

• Shamelessness: Shame is the feeling that lurks beneath all unhealthy narcissism, and the inability to process shame in healthy ways.
  • Magical thinking: Narcissists see themselves as perfect, using distortion and illusion known as magical thinking. They also use projection to dump shame onto others.
  • Arrogance: A narcissist who is feeling deflated may reinflate by diminishing, debasing, or degrading somebody else.
  • Envy: A narcissist may secure a sense of superiority in the face of another person's ability by using contempt to minimize the other person.
  • Entitlement: Narcissists hold unreasonable expectations of particularly favorable treatment and automatic compliance because they consider themselves special. Failure to comply is considered an attack on their superiority, and the perpetrator is considered an "awkward" or "difficult" person.
  • Exploitation: Can take many forms but always involves the exploitation of others without regard for their feelings or interests. Often the other is in a subservient position where resistance would be difficult or even impossible. Sometimes the subservience is not so much real as assumed.
  • Bad boundaries: Narcissists do not recognize that they have boundaries and that others are separate and are not extensions of themselves. Others either exist to meet their needs or may as well not exist at all.

If you read the UK mountain bike magazine they are always imploring cyclists to be respectful of horse riders as well as the ramblers and dog walkers. At the end of the day it will be the cyclists who will lose out.

A popcorn topic. We are never gonna agree. How about this: dont walk your dog. Rather take your bike and ride with your dog.

My opinion (and I ride the delta/spruit area a lot more than I walk K there) is that dogs have the right of way.

Yeah, I mostly agree - but sometimes it really is much easier for a person walking a dog on a leash to just move outside the track and let a cyclist by, obviously when they clearly see you coming from a far distance... what yanks my chain is when they purposely try and stand their ground and pee you of because they feel they are entitled more than you to be there... And why, all of the sudden does the dog/walker have more right to be there than me, and my 10 year old son? because we are on bicycles? really, now the dog and the walker have right of way...

How's this for popcorn... I bet I pay more taxes than 99.9% of the walkers there, they must give way for me.... LOL... :whistling: i'm entitled, especially when i'm on my 29er...

If you read the UK mountain bike magazine they are always imploring cyclists to be respectful of horse riders as well as the ramblers and dog walkers. At the end of the day it will be the cyclists who will lose out.

Trail use conflict is a problem the world over.

I 100% agree... and horses are another story... they are much less maneuverable than a "walker" and a "poodle" and so much more can go wrong... but just because I have a dog on a string doesn't mean walkers can be rude, obnoxious and misluk does it?

All I'm trying to say is that maybe the walkers can also just be decent and nice....

And just to make it clear, I personally always give right of way to EVERYONE and EVERYTHING.. dogs, walkers, runners, other cyclists, animals, alles... not because I feel they DESERVE it, but rather because it takes nothing away from me by being polite or going out of my way for someone else...

But most people in this thread again loves to hold on to that thing called entitlement and right... just be nice... it will all work out in the end.

Trail use conflict is a problem the world over.

+1, and tubm's it's like I said, it's not just trail use, it's the same with road manners, public places, and business... people just cant get along...

Yeah, I mostly agree - but sometimes it really is much easier for a person walking a dog on a leash to just move outside the track and let a cyclist by, obviously when they clearly see you coming from a far distance... what yanks my chain is when they purposely try and stand their ground and pee you of because they feel they are entitled more than you to be there... And why, all of the sudden does the dog/walker have more right to be there than me, and my 10 year old son? because we are on bicycles? really, now the dog and the walker have right of way...

How's this for popcorn... I bet I pay more taxes than 99.9% of the walkers there, they must give way for me.... LOL... :whistling: i'm entitled, especially when i'm on my 29er...

Dont start this argument! A friend uses this when we debate if cyclists are able to use the road as he feels he pays more in taxes so he has more right of way! A can of worms...!

OK, so this thread saves me starting one of my own...

I was at Emmarentia Dam yesterday with my 2 daughters (one of whom has just started riding without her training wheels).

Enter the Dyckhead on his S-Works (who for some reason can't leave the brickwork to dirty his tyres a bit) screaming towards us at about 30km/h.

He comes so close to my daughter that she promptly loses her balance, grazes her knee and is now in tears.

Best part? Dyckhead doesn't even apologize, put his hand up or even look back.

Sir, you are a prick of the highest order. And if I see you there this weekend, prepare yourself....

Dont mind the dogs much, in fact I get huge pleasure watching them have as much fun as I am - there is space for everyone. On the weekend mornings when it is busy I am respectful that I may not be able to fly down hills etc but then try get there during the week or ride in early afternoon when it is quieter and less chance of damage or accidents, I do as I please without problems.

As for the dogs on leads issue - if you cannot control your dog and it chases me, I will/do get upset. I have been bitten once before in Delta Park earlier this year because the dogs did not respond to the owner - and the owner did actually not care. Did not even hang around to see if I was ok or anything - just disappeared.

Last word from me - I have a bell on my bike and for the most part, both dogs and people appreciate the advance warning and will gladly move out of the way for you if they know you are there. If you have ever walked Delta, you will know that you don't hear bikes coming. Just a tinkle on my bell and all is well.

Dont start this argument! A friend uses this when we debate if cyclists are able to use the road as he feels he pays more in taxes so he has more right of way! A can of worms...!

ROTFLMAO - ja, I just said it so that the other people can call me a dork, because it makes them feel better about themselves.

I try to always give way, it's not worth the stress or issues by trying to enforce your "rights".. at the end of the day it makes no difference in my life if I have to yield, or let another car go infront of me, or if someone cuts a line, all small things really...

LIFE is TOO short...

And this is why I am no fan of the Spruit. I have riden it a few times, but its too congested by all and sundry -MTBers, Folk out for a walk, foilk out with their dogs on a casual stroll, trail runners, family outings etc. For me, I prefer a bit more less a manic place to ride. One that is of the 'get on bike, ride, no worries kind of place'. Not a 'get on bike, watch out for runners, dogs, old fogies, oncoming traffic, zionists'. The rules of supply and demand are in effect here. Too much demand and not enough supply for an inner city facility that offers everything to everyone without upsetting the balance.

I would say, that as the fastest moving object on the trail,the bicycle and its rider need to be the most aware and courteous of the lot. Give way, slow down and make yourself known. Not much fun in that is there..

Dogs off a leash is another issue that needs to be dealt with by the authorities (this may take a while). Dont confuse the two.

The next step would be to demarcate certain areas for riding and others for walking etc. And charge for it..

Delta park and the spruit aren't race routes, just be courteous to other users..... Not hard