Red Hill from Scarborough side - unsafe?

RacerX

I had an awesome road ride around the Peninsula today that was somewhat marred by two threatening-looking guys in the road above the Red Hill squatter camp. I had rounded the second hairpin from the Scarborough side when two guys coming down the road spotted me and moved to position themselves in the middle of the road, moving apart as if to create a way to trap me. Their body language was not that of a couple of guys on their way somewhere; they just seemed to be up to something. I stopped in the road to see what they would do and they stopped, bending down to pick up stones and badly trying to disguise the fact that they were responding to my stopping and being suspicious. I took the safe option and turned back down the hill and added another 45 min to my ride by going home over Smitswinkel. I may just be paranoid but thought to be safe rather than sorry; I know too many people that have been mugged mountain biking on Table Mountain - did not think that would be a concern on the road.

Anyone else had bad experiences on Red Hill? I'll be giving that climb a miss from now on if I'm on my own.

• 5 months later...

I was told first-hand of Red Hill incident this morning - 3 cyclists mugged by guys running along side of them after appearing out of the township. Rolling mugging I suppose - they had their cycling jersey pockets emptied on the go. Lost a cell phone. Keep an eye out up that climb.

• 1 year later...

How are things in the Peninsula nowadays. I saw recent events in December in the Smitswinkel area. I will be in Cape Town for a bit more than a week from and was hoping for a good workout around the Peninsula which will be in the area of 5 - 7 in the morning. Should I avoid Smitswinkel and the Red hill area?

I never go over Redhill especially alone. Thats just a no no. There are other climbs to do instead.

I never go over Redhill especially alone. Thats just a no no. There are other climbs to do instead.

Thanks, I suppose I will spend more time on Chappies and Ou Kaaps in the mornings then.

Thanks, I suppose I will spend more time on Chappies and Ou Kaaps in the mornings then.

Chappies over and up OKW from Noordhoek side. You can add Blackhill in out and back before you hit OKW.

Edited by Cippo

Chappies over and up OKW from Noordhoek side. You can add Blackhill in out and back before you hit OKW.

That is my normal route when in CT. I always stay in Fishhoek so start off with Blackhill. Would have like the variation though but I suppose times have changed :(

Edited by Bateleur1

Sorry to hear about the Red Hill issue. Thanks for letting us know.

What I would recommend if you want to ride Red Hill (it is just so beautiful on the Simonstown side) is to go up Clovelly, through Da Ghama Park, up past the Big Guns and down Red Hill back to Simons Town main road, That way you avoid the squatter side of Red Hill, you get the climbing and you ride the best part of it.

Sorry to hear about the Red Hill issue. Thanks for letting us know.

What I would recommend if you want to ride Red Hill (it is just so beautiful on the Simonstown side) is to go up Clovelly, through Da Ghama Park, up past the Big Guns and down Red Hill back to Simons Town main road, That way you avoid the squatter side of Red Hill, you get the climbing and you ride the best part of it.

what time are you riding on sunday? May have to join you for a road session.

I have also seen some shady guys on Red Hill lately, probably went over a month or six weeks ago, alone, and swore not to do it again. I picked up a bad vibe, not worth the stress.

Also watch out for the Marine reaction climb, fantastic climb, but the bush is really thick, last time I went up there were some guys tossing stones onto the Main Road, who knows what else they would be capable of.

I ride to Smitswinkel (and Cape Point in the reserve) from Hout Bay via Simonstown and back via Scarborough every weekend, and most of the time on my own. I have not had any issues and I normally leave very early in the morning (5:30) so the roads are quiet. I don't go up Red Hill from the Scarborough side because I have heard of incidents on that section but I often ride up and down the Simonstown side of Red Hill with no problems.

It is important to be vigilant though. Two guys tried to mug me in Paarden Island 2 years ago on the cycle lane so I am ever watchful.