Magalies Monster 2012

Honkdonk

How does the monster compare to Breedts or is it one and the same climb?

Will be my first one this year, a week after my first sani2c!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How does the monster compare to Breedts or is it one and the same climb?

Will be my first one this year, a week after my first sani2c!

So Breedtsnek or not?

First Monster for me too, doing the 70.

it looks like you join Breedts and go down the the back.

First Monster for me too, doing the 70.

it looks like you join Breedts and go down the the back.

You come up via Utopia and Mountain Sanctuary (some sandy sections), through the veld towards the top of Breedts (if you have been up that way before its near to where the pylons are on the mountain) and then you come down towards the Shebeen at the bottom. The road (although it is downhill) is pretty messed up (I often joke that I drove over 700km to take my 4x4 over the Sani Pass a few yeards ago but have more of a challenge going over Breedts!) so good speeds can be clocked but some serious caution needs to be exercised as there is a lot of small, loose pieces of quartz etc and its like marbles on the hard surface of the road. There are also sections of washed away road with big holes in it! Last year you had to be up and over by 12 otherwise you missed the cut off.

Edited by Mojoman

Make sure your bike is mechanically Ok , as this race takes a toll on the bikes, last year I saw a few broken chains and other breakdowns.Last year was tough , doing it again this year , the 70km

Make sure your bike is mechanically Ok , as this race takes a toll on the bikes, last year I saw a few broken chains and other breakdowns.Last year was tough , doing it again this year , the 70km

Yea its the one trail/race where I actaully feel like the track is out to break you and your bike...makes finishing so much sweeter

Tubeless is defnitely advised

Does anybody know of a place where you can do a couple of training rides for the Magalies Monster? I'm only doing the 45km and there are a couple of cool hills in them, but I'm hoping to train on them. Any chance?

So Breedtsnek or not?

I haven't done the actual monster, but friends have commented on it. Basically it's a 9km climb on rocky single track up the side of the breedts. The regular breedts is much easier as it is jeep track and not that long. Hope this helps.

You come up via Utopia and Mountain Sanctuary (some sandy sections), through the veld towards the top of Breedts (if you have been up that way before its near to where the pylons are on the mountain) and then you come down towards the Shebeen at the bottom. The road (although it is downhill) is pretty messed up (I often joke that I drove over 700km to take my 4x4 over the Sani Pass a few yeards ago but have more of a challenge going over Breedts!) so good speeds can be clocked but some serious caution needs to be exercised as there is a lot of small, loose pieces of quartz etc and its like marbles on the hard surface of the road. There are also sections of washed away road with big holes in it! Last year you had to be up and over by 12 otherwise you missed the cut off.

A friend of mine came off down breedts a couple of weeks ago. A rock pierced so deep inside his knee that is pierced a fluid sack under the knee. Be careful guys.

Can you do the monster hill as a training ride? Surely there must be an entry close to where the back end of Breedts (post office) is? GPS / Garmin file would be of great help, thanks.

Can you do the monster hill as a training ride? Surely there must be an entry close to where the back end of Breedts (post office) is? GPS / Garmin file would be of great help, thanks.

No, it crosses through private land. Ride Breedts both sides and it'll be plenty training.

Edited by danger dassie

The event is on the 26th May this year btw - website here

There was/is a long thick sandy road section down from MSP - then a u-turn for the 70 to the big climb which is quite rocky and technical at places through pvt land. Then you join that dirt road at the top of the neck and come down again almost due north.

http://www.magaliesmonster.co.za/ECGWebManager/MainContentImages/36728/PMM%2070%20Route.jpg

I found it totally hectic when I first tried it (circa 2004) - but I don't remember it being anything like some of those devastating technical descents at the Nissan Van Gaalens

Edited by kosmonooit

6 years ago I did it and said 'never again' ........ well just entered, lets see how it goes :)

Last year I said "never again" and I have entered this year again.Sucker for pain

Seems like the 2 challenges in the Magalies Monster is the "monster climb” and then the 30km after that! How technical and steep is the “monster climb”, can you actually ride it out in granny?