Rietvlei Zoo Farm

NotSoBigBen

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cool, maybe we should ride there together sometime, hooking up with some other guys on thursday to ride rietvlei

• 2 months later...
used to ride there before' date=' now ride opposite panarama shopping centre, was there last week and it was a bit over grown[/quote']

An update on Rietvlei and 'opposite Panorama'.

Rietvlei course has been cleaned up and lengthened by Wendel from cycle hub amongst others. We rode the full 'red' course yesterday and it measures out at very close to 9k's. Some really cool new forest sections have been opened up and all the overgrown long grass/weeds on the original course have been cut down. There is also a nice new singletrack uphill section to the 'rondawels'. The rocky downhill after the pool has been made a bit easier by the removal of a lot of rocks (some like it some don't!). Seemingly the original extreme downhill to the right of the pool is available for those wanting an adrenalin rush, haven't tried it in years .......

Opposite Panorama seems a bit unclear as we went there yesterday morning and were informed that no cyclists/hikers would be allowed in as they have recently moved some game there. There was also a notice to that effect on the gate.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry guys, I know this is a very late replyEmbarrassed, but how does Rietvlei compare to Northern farms and Groenkloof ? The distances seem a little short !

Might go check it out this weekend.

Occasionally. Why?

HUHConfused

The original question was "do you ride there?" I do. And since Wendell (and others) have made some significant improvements to the routes in recent times, I will be riding there a lot more.

I also ride the section on the other side of Swartkoppies Road, i.e. behind the shooting range and all the way to Walkerville. Unfortunately, the guys on quads and MX bikes have torn up a lot of the track which washes away and becomes almost unridable in the wet.

Sorry guys' date=' I know this is a very late replyEmbarrassed, but how does Rietvlei compare to Northern farms and Groenkloof ? The distances seem a little short !

Might go check it out this weekend.

[/quote']

It is a lot more technical and challenging that Northern Farm. I don't think there is a section of NF I can't ride, in fact I thought I was fairly good. Then I went to Rietvlei and got a serious reality check.  Ouch

I highly recommend riding there and must say they have tracks for all skill levels (even me).

Merida Man - not sure how far you want to ride but the full lap as marked permanently and used in the XC provincial this past weekend was just over 9k's!

6k's of technical concentrating stuff and then about 3k's  flat out jeep track.

Hi Guys,

The facts are that I am in the process of relocating to Rietvlei, lock, shop and barrel. I have full access for the development of the farm as a "cycling park" and will include cross country running and walking trails.

We have identified and marked a "blue" route aprox 8,7 - 9km. This is fairly technical, but then nothing is too technical to walk.There is a "green" route which has a lot of the technical section on the first half, taken out.We will still do some work on this route keeping it interesting yet less technical. A "yellow" route aimed for our beginners, a bit of single track to wet the apetite but rideable by most standards.

We have now routed a 5KM trail that we will use shortly for night racing. Not technical but challenging cos it will be fast with 3 reasonable hills. NOT CLIMBS. Our intention is to hold time trials during the winter on Saturday afternoons and the night racing will be on Wednesdays.We have a group every Tuesday and Thursday night starting at 6pm, all are welcome.Just need a good light, that is all other than your usual stuff.

Regarding the farm opposite my shop, it has recently been closed due to the release of some game and until these animals have settled down we are not allowed / wanted to ride there. The difference betwen the two options is that Rietvlei will be for the cyclists and Taboyabatswani will be a development ( however small ) allowing cyclists to use their scraped sand roads. I personally enjoyed BOTH but having made a commitment to Rietvlei, this is where I will be developing for the LOVE OF THE GAME. My WEB will soon be open for any interesting development on Rietvlei (the river being the next phase and challenge )

• 4 weeks later...

Went to Rietvlei this morning for the first time with the Muxster and boy did we have a blast!! The overnight rain helped and mud was aplenty!!!Well done Wendell on a great set up you have there!! As Arnie said "I'll be back!!!" 

Hey Dellboy, sorry I missed you guys. Got a severe bladder infection and doc says off the bike for at least 3 days, up half the night wizzing ......

Shame BB that's not good.........I found out first hand about the bloody rock garden you were talking about!!!!