It's Boyes Drives fault...

Pure Savage

did a sub 3 (my first) 2011 and in 2012.

will try to do it three times in a row next year.

think only 500 and something people did sub 3 this year. (for 2011 it was over 900).

if they cut out Boyes drive it will be like a sub 3 on the 94.7 (too many people doing it and not really such a accomplishment)

:clap:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since when did BD really make or break the Argus for many people? The Argus isn't the hilliest of races anyway and I reckon having it in there is great (even though it's my least favourite climb on the route).

It makes the ride interesting, gives you a gauge early on on how you're doing, and settles things nicely in the bunch for the speedy drag to SmitsW. If the amount of people are an issue then you're in the wrong race!

Keep it in.

They could just sort out that descent at the end to prevent the maniacs from going down there like clappers and causing accidents. Maybe a chicane using some straw barriers.

They could just sort out that descent at the end to prevent the maniacs from going down there like clappers and causing accidents. Maybe a chicane using some straw barriers.

Were there a lot of accidents there? I would have thought that the corners and the narrowing of the road would have stopped a lot of people being able to go all out.

It seemed like most of the crazyness was around hospital bend and on blue route. When I was going through there were bodies all over the place and far too many pumped up idiots who didn't know how to ride at pace in a bunch.

Were there a lot of accidents there? I would have thought that the corners and the narrowing of the road would have stopped a lot of people being able to go all out.

It seemed like most of the crazyness was around hospital bend and on blue route. When I was going through there were bodies all over the place and far too many pumped up idiots who didn't know how to ride at pace in a bunch.

I saw one almost happen before my eyes. MTBer came screaming down there, almost took me and the woman in front of me out. I had to slam on the brakes and take evasive action.

I don't think it really matters...

slows the group down a bit, but that's all.

I tried to break it up going up there but no-one followed, didn't impact the race much at all.

dude I was right on your wheel there! But no one really worked....I actually like Boyes, it just adds some more climbing as the rote is relatively flat....and the view is awesome!

I'm much further back in the field, so have no idea what it is like, but I would have thought that the fast stretch after Smits would be scarier in a crazy bunch. What on earth do the racing snakes do going UP Smits that make it so dangerous? Please enlighten an old slow dude.

Btw, I like Boyes as part of the route.

Some of the guys have the seeding but not the mass bunch riding skills. There were guys (I experienced two in the A group) who kept switching wheels and not holding their line. Having your front wheel taken out by a tjop is not a cool feeling!

I saw a terrible accident this year, some idiot came screaming past on the right at the final turn, he pulled in late to avoid the wall and took out the guy next to him, they fell at 55kmh. was awful, i was rattled for the next 10km. i personally enjoy boyes drive even if it dominates me very year. but crashes like that make me happy for the route to go back to main road.

What would be the best way to improve one's bunch riding skills?

Does this come with time?

Doing lots of races?

Riding at Killarney?

What would be the best way to improve one's bunch riding skills?

Does this come with time? Yes and common sense about keeping your line!

Doing lots of races? Yes staying and working together in the bunch with common sense.

Riding at Killarney? Depends, those people already have experience, so doubt you would want to take part without bunch riding skills...

I'm not sure whether to classify you as a masochist or as a sadist.

Maybe you'll train harder then, man...

:-)

Last year I was unable to do any of the seeding rides for the argus so ended up in F only and not a little higher up. Hopefully next year I can be in a better seeded group for the rides.

Excited for the training for the DC :)