Stem length for trail / all-mountain

wesley_r

Thanks for the info Crow, Patches & Slick!!

Yes Patches, that is exactly what I want to do, I know it will never be a AM machine, but I want to take what I have and move it further away from XC and more to trail etc. So I will need some help in the future..

:thumbup:

Anytime Fuel!

Even though your bike is "labelled" as a trail bike... with the right setup you can do wonders.

A friend's fiance bought a Fuel EX8 WSD, and when I saw her bike... the small frame... 5" travel... etc... do you now what I thought...

I thought "this would make an awesome slopestyle bike if one was to put on a 140/150mm fork, wide bars, short stem, beafier wheels, lose the triple ring up front and run a chainguide :lol:

Edited by patches

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of curiosity - what stem length are y'all running on your trail / AM rigs?

My current stem is about 55mm, thinking of going for 60 or even 70mm as the Commencal's top tube is short for a L... obviously shorter is ideal for more control descending, and longer gives you a more planted feel on climbs, right? 70mm should be good for both?

Make more sense to go get a bike fit and find out what stem length you need?

Dave, the stem length issue in this case is not for the "ideal position" on the bike, in order to find the most efficient pedalling position / position of most power etc. It is purely for means of control, whilst still remaining comfortable on the bike... Basically, the shorter the stem, the more control. But on the other side of the coin, a 30mm stem could be more uncomfortable than the 60mm, and therefore the extra control comes at the sacrifice of comfort...

That's why I put that disclaimer at the end of my post. ;)

Thanks for the info Crow, Patches & Slick!!

Yes Patches, that is exactly what I want to do, I know it will never be a AM machine, but I want to take what I have and move it further away from XC and more to trail etc. So I will need some help in the future..

:thumbup:

Pleasure man. It is great to have some converts to the dark side.

The shorter stem also helps you get your weight back further and quickly in extreme situations. Your next upgrade should be a drop post.

:D

Edited by slick

Yeah. I still think going from 100mm to 60mm will be too drastic and a step or two too far on that bike.

To add another spanner in the works, what would you suggest for someone treating an XC bike like a trail rig? I have a Giant Anthem (yes only 100mm travel :( ) but am setting it up as my fun/ trail rig because i've got a hardtail 29er for XC stuff.

I've put on wider bars (720mm) but am running an 80mm stem because I still need to ride up the hill before coming down. Would going shorter than 80 be an issue on this bike? Would it affect the climbing ability too much?

O.K, then something like this maybe? Any other brands you recommend or is Race Face lekka?

70mm 6 Deg Black/Red 31.8 Clamp

Race Face makes quality kit

To add another spanner in the works, what would you suggest for someone treating an XC bike like a trail rig? I have a Giant Anthem (yes only 100mm travel :( ) but am setting it up as my fun/ trail rig because i've got a hardtail 29er for XC stuff.

I've put on wider bars (720mm) but am running an 80mm stem because I still need to ride up the hill before coming down. Would going shorter than 80 be an issue on this bike? Would it affect the climbing ability too much?

I wouldn't go much shorter than 80mm on an Anthem. Pending on your "reach" of course. 720mm is a good width