dear mrclean, have you never heard of the north shore or wistler or wales? ...

debullet

Dirt Roadie. It already exists.

That is a roadie that starts riding dirt. There are hundreds of new MTBers who have never been on any kind of bike.

We are nice . We have no name for the "woer woeries " that we find on tar uphills.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

to be quite honest - i dont really give a toss - all i know is that i have 100's and 100's of km's of brilliant singletrack in a radius of 100km from my front door and that is all I really care about - oh...and its free

Where is Richteveld?

as far as i know you need 4x4 to get there - unless you go do one of the orange river packages - then you can float through it (albeit only the very corner of it..) - most incredible 4 days i spent

I think Patches said it perfectly before .... that due to a different target market what people percieve as the best riding in the world will vary.

In SA we have by FAR the largest market for multi-stage marathon racing in the World ... it is not surprising therefore that SA is a world leader in 29er/marathon-style mountain bike sales. In this regard SA is by far a world leader!

If you think of trails used for SANI2C, JOBURG2C, Berg&Bush, Sabie Marathon Champs, The Epic, The Freedom Challenge, ... To name but a Few....

granted they are not all jam-packed with tech singletrack trails, BUT for the enjoyment of riding a bicycle, you cant beat the diversity that SA has to offer.

Now i would also put myself with Omega and say that riding 150km along a mainly dirt road is not my cup of tea as i also prefer to race DH ... BUT ... I still enjoy the variety of all the XC and DH tracks that SA has to offer. So in my opinion MR Clean is onto something. Why do so many of the XCO pros come here to train in the offseasons???

Having ridden overseas and attended a couple of international World Stage events ... EACH has their own flair ... (Fort William for example ... AMAZING DH Track and XC track ... BUT **** WEATHER!) ... Mont ST Anne Canada - even better DH than Fort Bill ... XC track that sometimes makes DH riders have a coil in their pants ... BUT there are midges and french canadians (who hate english speaking people) ... :whistling: hahaha

So if you think of it in that aspect ... that we are all MOUNTAIN BIKERS, and share the same trails no matter what bikes we are on ... we must thank our stars that we live in such a beautiful country with so much to ride ... (YES our Gravity side of things here SUCKS ... but then again so does our SKIING ... and thats where the problem comes in ... So we need to make do with what we have ... and we have LOTS to make do with ...

legendary post

What have you done Nige? You've just made me agree with you. C'mon - you know I hate that!

+1 on the blood sucking midges of Ben Nevus.

What have you done Nige? You've just made me agree with you. C'mon - you know I hate that!

+1 on the blood sucking midges of Ben Nevus.

You think Ben Nevis's midges are bad ... bru ... go to Mt St Anne ... they like the Park Town Prawns of the midge world! ... hahaha

to be quite honest - i dont really give a toss - all i know is that i have 100's and 100's of km's of brilliant singletrack in a radius of 100km from my front door and that is all I really care about - oh...and its free

I need to hook up with you so you can show me these trails, please Sir :whistling:

Yay! It's label time again!

Down hilling and free riding are not mountain biking - they are called Gravity Riding.

Riding technical short laps is not mountain biking - it's called XCO.

Long rides on relatively easy roads is called XCM.

Hang on - what is mountain biking again?

Stop being a label monster and let anybody who wants to call themselves "mountain biker" do it. The last thing our sport needs is title happy snobs who think they're better because they choose to ride one form of mountain biking more than another...

How are they supposed to feel special if they can't use terms like dirt roadie?

It's only slow, lazy folk who look at the Richtersveld and don't see the potential. I mean, how the hell are they supposed to go forward on flat ground?

Guest Omega Man

How are they supposed to feel special if they can't use terms like dirt roadie?

It's only slow, lazy folk who look at the Richtersveld and don't see the potential. I mean, how the hell are they supposed to go forward on flat ground?

Haha. Touche.

Ok. I'll tell you what we do. You posted a pic of riding that stokes you out. I'll post a pic and we can counter each others pics with pics of our own. Hopefully we can convince each other.

This is taken from the top of Pleney. Morzine in France.

post-18968-0-52459700-1337599041.jpg

hmmm... that has lifts in it, REAL MTB hasn't got lifts...

I need to hook up with you so you can show me these trails, please Sir :whistling:

you need to come inland one weekend - i'll let you know...just got to give my bike a little tlc after sani

Guest Omega Man

No. You need to stop this blasphemy now. Hehe.

Edited by Omega Man

i donno dude ... if you havent yet ... go give it a try ... its a JOL ... you dont need a DH bike ... actually a lot of the Europe Guide say that a 140-160mm trail bike is perfect ...

There are ENDLESS cross country trails over there too ... so you can cruise for hours and not have to heave a lung trying to climb the initial 2000m.

BUT ... again ... we live in SA ... and like everything in our country ... we are DIFFERENT ... and proud to be different ...

In the words of Trevor Noah ... "the world sets a standard and says We are going in this direction..." ... SA says ..."yah, we go dis side .... no dont wary you find us der.. hehehe"

I still think we have the BEST XC trails in the World ... and the WORST DH trails ... and soon to be the BEST ENDURO trails ....

No. You need to stop this blasphemy now. Hehe.

He he good to see gravity boys can take as good as they give.

i donno dude ... if you havent yet ... go give it a try ... its a JOL ... you dont need a DH bike ... actually a lot of the Europe Guide say that a 140-160mm trail bike is perfect ...

There are ENDLESS cross country trails over there too ... so you can cruise for hours and not have to heave a lung trying to climb the initial 2000m.

BUT ... again ... we live in SA ... and like everything in our country ... we are DIFFERENT ... and proud to be different ...

In the words of Trevor Noah ... "the world sets a standard and says We are going in this direction..." ... SA says ..."yah, we go dis side .... no dont wary you find us der.. hehehe"

I still think we have the BEST XC trails in the World ... and the WORST DH trails ... and soon to be the BEST ENDURO trails ....

I know, was only winding up the others.