Advice on breaks

Nofearnofun

Hi All,

I have Shimano M445 180/160 mm brakes on my bike, they are quite noisey and it seems as if they should have allot more power than they do. Are these generally good brakes? what could the problem be and how do I sort it out?

thanks

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they are new it is possible that they still need to "imbed" on the rotors.

If they are 2nd hand, they might need to be bled.

Could also be that the pads have picked up some kind of contamination - try a new set of pads and clean the rotors with and spirits or brake cleaner.

Coupla options...

Take pads out and give them a light sanding.

Add some Copaslip to the back of the pad.

Give your rotors a good clean as Vinny says.

If they are 2nd hand, they might need to be bled.

I have seen some new brakes which needed bleeding before first use.

Edited by slick

M455 brakes are basically entry level so to begin with they're not the best but regardless they should still do the trick. Shimano naming scheme works on 3 digits the first being the series. 9 - XTR, 8 - Saints, 7 - XT, 6 - SLX, 5 - Deore, 4 - Alivio.

Although there are the exceptions like the M505 brakes which are non-series meaning they're standalone entry level.

Although there are the exceptions like the M505 brakes which are non-series meaning they're standalone entry level.

Also known as the SOS model.

:lol:

Also known as the SOS model.

:lol:

+1

Or as every manufacturer of entry-level/mainstream bicycles favorite cost saver/price dropper!

breaks

3rd person singular present, plural of break

Verb: Separate or cause to separate into pieces as a result of a blow, shock, or strain: "the rope broke with a loud snap". Noun: An interruption of continuity or uniformity.

brakes

3rd person singular present, plural of brake

Noun:

• A device for slowing or stopping a moving vehicle, typically by applying pressure to the wheels.
  • An open horse-drawn carriage with four wheels.
  • A toothed instrument used for crushing flax and hemp.
  • A coarse fern (genus Pteris, family Pteridaceae) of warm and tropical countries, frequently having the fronds divided into long linear...

Verb: Make a moving vehicle slow down or stop by using a brake: "drivers who brake abruptly"; "an anti-lock braking system".

Edited by geecee

Coupla options...

Take pads out and give them a light sanding.

Add some Copaslip to the back of the pad.

Give your rotors a good clean as Vinny says.

Listen to this man. He speaks wisdom. (I know because that is what I was going to say.

The only thing I would add is that you clean your rotors with a solvent based cleaner (Thinners, alchohol but not the stuff you get from the bottlestore... or even benzine. Commercial Brake Cleaner would be your best bet and it is available from ant spares shop in an aerosol can) DON'T use turpentine or parrafin as these contain oils and that is the last thing you want to come into contact with your braking surface.....!!!

M455 brakes are basically entry level so to begin with they're not the best but regardless they should still do the trick. Shimano naming scheme works on 3 digits the first being the series. 9 - XTR, 8 - Saints, 7 - XT, 6 - SLX, 5 - Deore, 4 - Alivio.

:offtopic: I still can't fully get my head around the Shimano MTB hierarchy - so I thought I had a mix of SLX and XT on my bike, but officially the RD is "Deore XT"... so where does that stack up between XT, SLX and Deore....

Hi All,

I have Shimano M445 180/160 mm brakes on my bike, they are quite noisey and it seems as if they should have allot more power than they do. Are these generally good brakes? what could the problem be and how do I sort it out?

thanks

They should ??

:offtopic: I still can't fully get my head around the Shimano MTB hierarchy - so I thought I had a mix of SLX and XT on my bike, but officially the RD is "Deore XT"... so where does that stack up between XT, SLX and Deore....

Yeah, I also had a WTF moment when they did that.

Deore XT is XT.

Most of the time when a bike is specced the RD will be a higher spec than the rest of the groupset.