Rebuilding my AM / trail rig

wesley_r

a fair amount - I earn my turns :P

the claimed weight of the rims I currently have (AlexRims SupraBH) is 610g VS the Nukeproof claimed weight of 570g - this is per rim only. I wouldn't mind a slightly lighter wheelset than what I have now, but I am surviving with my current setup.

570 is fine.. that will take good abuse, look for welded rim. Any lighter and the fear of denting creeps back in.. stay clear of fear! The Alex are heavy! I said somewhere earlier, I have one on the back and damn strong but when it starts spinning, I lose the snapppiness of the bike which I prefer..

I have found also that the wider the rim, the more your confidence steps up. I am on a *think* 33mm wide rim which certainly helps in the corners.. strength is a non issue, two years of DH runs and all day trail adventures, never adjusted.

Pittstop, did you take the i9's? Keen to hear your take on them..

Edited by Pain or Shine
to edit

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough, lightweight and versatile, the Nukeproof Generator Race rim has been developed to answer the needs of hard-hitting riders across a range of mtb disciplines, offering superior strength without the weight penalty.

Based on the race-proven MTX 29 rim by Sun Ringlé, the 32-hole Generator Race is welded for strength with a width of 29mm to enable secure mounting of large-volume tyres.

Featuring fresh new graphics and available in black, silver and Nukeproof Yellow, the Generator Race rim builds into a strong, light and durable wheelset ready to inspire hard-riding confidence on the trail or on the race track.

http://www.nukeproof.../nukeproof-rims

Edited by the_wes

The I9 hubs / Flow rims? so you happy with the Flow rims? Tough enuff for hard trail riding?

I wish I got that wheelset. But I do have flows on hopes on my other bike for more serious riding, and they are great.

I wish I got that wheelset. But I do have flows on hopes on my other bike for more serious riding, and they are great.

sorry for asking but what do you weigh,i ask this because i folded a ztr flow and 2 of my mates who are much lighter than me have written theres off aswell

sorry for asking but what do you weigh,i ask this because i folded a ztr flow and 2 of my mates who are much lighter than me have written theres off aswell

I'm in the region of 100kg.

What bikes were the flows on?

on my morewood makulu, but it was really odd because it folded in a bermed corner

on my morewood makulu, but it was really odd because it folded in a bermed corner

On a DH bike?? That might explain it. They more AM rims if I am not mistaken

On a DH bike?? That might explain it. They more AM rims if I am not mistaken

Hmmmm... I wouldn't even ride them on my AM bike. I have heard about too many of them breaking on trails. I'm just under 95kg and am sometimes a bit hard on wheels. So when I do 5 foot drop to flat I want to be confident that the wheel will hold up. Therefore proper wide rims on a good hub are a must.

Have been riding Flows for close to 4 years without any issues. Lightest 90k's, heaviest 99k's. Used them for Paarl shuttle days, Eden DH runs, Tokai....all over and they are STILL going strong.

What do you guys think of Nukeproof's wheelsets / hubs / rims? I might be in the market...

http://www.nukeproof...enerator-wheels

I run a set of Nuke Proof Generators on my 4X bike. For the price they were a bargain (they were 2k a set on CRC when I bought)... I have had a few incidentsin the past 18 months though...

1. Buckled rear wheel and snapped spoke. (whipped to far, didn't bring it back. expected from that sort of abuse. R70 to fix)
  2. Stripped rear axle threads from the lock nuts. Not sure how it happened. Caused no issues when riding. Didn't need to be fixed it but cost R150 for new axle kit.
  3. Buckled front wheel. Again, can be expected from the crash. Won't cost much to fix.
  4. Rear hubs skips on 1 of the engagement points. Not sure what's causing this. Haven't serviced the hubs since I got them... so maybe that's the reason :blush:

But yeah... in general... I abuse mine endlessly, and although I have a list of issues, I would still rate them as good wheels.

EDIT: Note, mine were the prevoius edition Generators... and it seems the hub design has since changed.

Edited by patches

Here are the wheels I run on my AM rig

http://static.26bikes.com/GetFile/11643/crosmax_sx.jpg

Mavic Crossmax SX. They're prety darn strong and light.

Here are the 2012 versions

http://www.ruotaliberaterni.com/ruotalibera/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/MAVIC_CROSSMAX_S_4f50c42b42060.jpg

only catch... they're atleast double the price of the Nuke Proofs