bike shop crack frame with service

amoryns

nope not normal that would be fraud. what warranty covers a shop breaking a frame while servicing it

Whoa. Easy Tigers. I never said that a shop breaking BB was a warranty issue. The frame is cracked due to the bb being removed and thus the store is going to try and get a warranty done on the frame. How do we know that it was negligence on the part of the store? All i was trying to clarify with the writer was that they had not asked him to claim for anything yet? All the store had requested was proof of purchase.

Edit: Tried to do a multi quote there as my response is a response to more than one message.

Edited by specializedfan

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa. Easy Tigers. I never said that a shop breaking BB was a warranty issue. The frame is cracked due to the bb being removed and thus the store is going to try and get a warranty done on the frame. How do we know that it was negligence on the part of the store? All i was trying to clarify with the writer was that they had not asked him to claim for anything yet? All the store had requested was proof of purchase.

Edit: Tried to do a multi quote there as my response is a response to more than one message.

Absolutely and the OP's story doesn't really make sense either.

I thought the OP's story was pretty clear, he took the bike in for repair/ service and the bike shop cracked the frame removing/ trying to remove the BB. They now want to possibly make a claim for something that may/may not be an actual warranty claim at all due to possible negligence on their part.

What have I missed?

Think some of these LBS need to pull out work shop references & valid skills certificates or something,lot of workshop monkeys around, that should show before hand they know wtf they doing. :thumbdown:

I thought the OP's story was pretty clear, he took the bike in for repair/ service and the bike shop cracked the frame removing/ trying to remove the BB. They now want to possibly make a claim for something that may/may not be an actual warranty claim at all due to possible negligence on their part.

What have I missed?

She…

What have I missed?

Reading things properly and understanding bikes .

The OP (a she) says they removed the BB then cracked the frame.

The story is not very clear, for starters.

Secondly venting on this forum where flaming is the only name of the game will get her nowhere.

Edited by Dangle

Ok...........it seems as if the shop is trying to sort the problem out via warranty. We don't know enough about the problem to start pointing fingers. At least the shop is trying to sort it out and the OP will (hopefully) end up with a new frame.

The question that should be asked is: what if the warranty had expired? Would the shop replace the frame at their expense, if they were to blame?

to make my story clear Dangle...i ASKED for ADVICE as I have never had this kind of problem before

Ok...........it seems as if the shop is trying to sort the problem out via warranty. We don't know enough about the problem to start pointing fingers. At least the shop is trying to sort it out and the OP will (hopefully) end up with a new frame.

The question that should be asked is: what if the warranty had expired? Would the shop replace the frame at their expense, if they were to blame?

my question as well as I bought the frame in 2008

How exactly did they say they cracked the frame after removing the BB?

Snap...crackle...pop!

The stress intensity factor is estimated for a circular crack associated with a spherical particle subjected to thermoelastic stress field. It is shown that the stress intensity factor is a function of particle size, elastic and fracture properties of the two phases and preexisting crack length. Spontaneous matrix cracking will occur when the particle size exceeds critical value Dc. Close agreement between calculated and measured value for Dc is obtained. The model is applicable to all particulate composites where there is volume increase of a particle induced either by phase transformation or thermal expansion mismatch (αm >αp). The results of the present analysis fit very well the observations made on spontaneouscracking of a single phase materials possessing thermal expansion anisotropy or two phase materials possessing thermal expansion mismatch.

Snap...crackle...pop!

The stress intensity factor is estimated for a circular crack associated with a spherical particle subjected to thermoelastic stress field. It is shown that the stress intensity factor is a function of particle size, elastic and fracture properties of the two phases and preexisting crack length. Spontaneous matrix cracking will occur when the particle size exceeds critical value Dc. Close agreement between calculated and measured value for Dc is obtained. The model is applicable to all particulate composites where there is volume increase of a particle induced either by phase transformation or thermal expansion mismatch (αm >αp). The results of the present analysis fit very well the observations made on spontaneouscracking of a single phase materials possessing thermal expansion anisotropy or two phase materials possessing thermal expansion mismatch.

Or they could have dropped it? :whistling:

The shop should be insured and replace or repair.

If you are insured claim from your insurance and they will take it up with the shop and their insurance.

Amoryn was not flaming and asked for advice.Nothing wrong with that.

And Amoryn is very much a She!!!

The shop should be insured and replace or repair.

If you are insured claim from your insurance and they will take it up with the shop and their insurance.

Amoryn was not flaming and asked for advice.Nothing wrong with that.

And Amoryn is very much a She!!!

thanks Kranswurm