Pivot mach 429 full suss, any thoughts

wapad

heres a pic of the bike I tested it was a bit of mix and match but mainly looking at the frame and building over my Anthem bits

Thats a good looking bike, and all the top Alu bikes are in the 40 k range these days, its standard if you want a decently designed well spec'd coach. Niner, Ellsworth, Rocky, Santa, Pyga etc.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a good looking bike, and all the top Alu bikes are in the 40 k range these days, its standard if you want a decently designed well spec'd coach. Niner, Ellsworth, Rocky, Santa, Pyga etc.

You forgot to mention Yeti SB-95 whats wrong with you?

:whistling: wait, rather don't answer.... not knowing is better...

:devil: +1 though...

You forgot to mention Yeti SB-95 whats wrong with you?

:whistling: wait, rather don't answer.... not knowing is better...

:devil: +1 though...

I stand honorably corrected ,,,,, pyga ..... and oh yeah Yeti SB-95 and some other really cool bikes which i am excluding due to the copious amounts of red wine currently in my system.

I stand honorably corrected ,,,,, pyga ..... and oh yeah Yeti SB-95 and some other really cool bikes which i am excluding due to the copious amounts of red wine currently in my system.

Good idea, wine that is... not too late to start drinking....

heres a pic of the bike I tested it was a bit of mix and match but mainly looking at the frame and building over my Anthem bits

That looks like quite a piece of machinery!

Which shop is that?

Edit:

It's quite fun playing with build options here on CompetitiveCyclist.com

Edited by splat

• 3 weeks later...

Ja it is but the price for boutique brand in the class of Santa cruise and niner

Having said that it's stiff in the rear fairly light sort of in the Anthem range suffers little to zero bob trying to get them to get it out on the track

The rear suspension is patented and I hear good things about this DW link feel slot like the Epic Spez

It's got all the new bits rear through axle, tapered head tube wide BB 92, the rear triangle is a feat of engineering and looks stiff, this is where I feel the Anthem is lacking

Also it has the latest RP23 shock

I would say it's about 3 grand over fair price but then again it special

The beauty though is instead of spending 40k I can get a new frame and transfer over the parts

Am also looking at Spez but plenty of the parts are not interchangeable, and stock is a problem so what happens if you bust a frame and then it's also very pricey

Anyway still in the looking phase

I have just bought one w XT kit and very happy with the ride. Plush on the downhill with brilliant stiffness on the up. The reviews seem excellent aswell. no regrets

• 1 month later...

I have just bought one w XT kit and very happy with the ride. Plush on the downhill with brilliant stiffness on the up. The reviews seem excellent aswell. no regrets

I have finally got a demo 429 for a few days

took it home yesterday to set up for my size

I'll be comparing it to my Anthem 29

I have managed to get the Medium which sets up almost identical to my Anthem Large

The 429 is sitting at just over 12 KG but plenty of 'fat' on it

will post over the next few days

I have managed to get the Medium which sets up almost identical to my Anthem Large

Well had my first ride and it was quite impressive

It climbs really well even on suspension mode, during the setup mode I had to drop the rear shck pressure by 30psi compared to my Anthem just to get the sag right and even yesterday only used half the travel down Vasbyt

This is the first time I have felt what rear end stiffness feels like so it scores well there

My disappointment was with the 2x10 as on the big ring front and back there was irritating FD rub having never used this setup it seems to defeat the object that in fact you dont have full range of gears ????

It may have been a setup issue as it was the bikes first real ride as far as I know

The Bike tracks really well, aim and go, the tyres were crossmark which i dont like and maybe were a bit to hard for my liking as they werent very sure footed

The bike had SLX brakes which were fantastic albeit on the wrong sides for me

On the downside the cable routing may need a look at but its is also a good indicator of the difference between open and propedal as you can see the slight bob totally disappear when flicked to propedal, I can honestly say that there is no need to 'lockout" there is that little bob

Next ride will drop rear pressure and get the tyre pressure right for the 'Wapad"

All in all a great DS

Wapad, i took the same bike, but size small to the forest and you know i am a weight weenie of note - i absolutely love this ride, responsive, great climbing and amazing on the technical sections and downhills... if you change just the tyres that is on there you can get the weight down quite a bit and it is not tubeless converted yet, as well.

Allround i feel it is a great bike, and if you add a few things you can have the weight dropped and easily get it to 10.5kg.... Instead of paying R70 000 for Specialized you can get this beauty for R40 000 + add a few things and get it down to same weight and the ride is

just as good maybe better! It is good to see something else on the market, we get used too so easily to what is currently there...and there are better stuff out there....i have seen the proof...lol

Did you put the bike on a scale?

Do you know what the frame weighs?

The comparative weight was 7.77kg frame with all the bits minus saddle and seatpost for the pivot (m) and no wheels

7.49kg for the Anthem( L) so about 280-300g weight difference

but as previously said the bike can be brought down to a great weight, but I can tell you the bike is super efficient on the climb and very stiff/tight in the twisties

Personally i think this bike should be compared to the Pyga 129

• 4 weeks later...

I finally have started the build and weighed the frame 2.96-2,98 KG

putting Arch EX wheels with KCNC bits, XT group with Formula brakes and a SID shock S-works fast-trak tyres

Should be up and riding by Friday yeeha

I finally have started the build and weighed the frame 2.96-2,98 KG

putting Arch EX wheels with KCNC bits, XT group with Formula brakes and a SID shock S-works fast-trak tyres

Should be up and riding by Friday yeeha

Congrats and please post pics of the bike build process!