Rockshox Travel Adjust

MrJacques

I've taken my fork apart to adjust the travel from 80mm to 100mm. (Reba, think about 2008 model) I only found one 15mm c shaped spacer inside. Now this may be a silly question, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Do I just take the spacer out and run it without any spacers or do I have to have a spacer in there? The spacer measures 15mm, so I'm not sure I will be getting a full 100mm travel either?

post-19687-0-76060000-1338880201.jpg

Edited by Jacquers

If it is currently 80mm travel, remove the spacer. One never gets a true 100mm travel anyway.

Hmmmm, did the same to my Reba, also '08. There were two spacers in there, so took both out and took it from 85mm to 115mm.

That's the right spacer. Take it out and you'll get a bit more travel. These Americans who make forks haven't got a clue how long 20mm really is. They think it is a quarter of a micro-furlong.

What can you expect from okes who measure the size of coffee in ounces?

Hi

How hard is it to service your own Rockshox reba?

I do not trust any shops to do it properly, my friend had his done and was a disaster.

Graham

Hi

How hard is it to service your own Rockshox reba?

I do not trust any shops to do it properly, my friend had his done and was a disaster.

Graham

Dont know about the Reba, but I have the Recon Gold! Got the service manual from the internet, YouTube help, and bob is your aunt's! Did it myself and really not that difficult.

Hi How hard is it to service your own Rockshox reba? I do not trust any shops to do it properly, my friend had his done and was a disaster. Graham

It wasn't too difficult, if you have the right tools. Google for the right year model service manual. Here are some guides to help out: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/workshop-how-to-adjust-travel-on-a-rockshox-trail-fork--26840/ and there are some nice YouTube videos as well.

Here is the guide to adjust the travel: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/workshop-how-to-adjust-travel-on-a-rockshox-trail-fork--26840/

• 11 months later...

Does anyone know if there's a stanchion length difference between the Rebas that run 100mm and the "all travel" ones that can extend to 120mm of travel. I'm trying to work out what the physical difference is... It's either stanchion length or spring length, or both.

• 2 months later...

OK. I have a Reba and a Fox. Both are 100mm forks (well, the reba technically 110mm but long story). When I put them next to each other the "exposed" stanchion on the fox is much longer - and if I measure the exposed stanchion on the Fox it measures 100mm.

But if I measure the exposed stanchion on the Reba it's not even 90mm. I have removed all the spacers from the spring in this fork.

On the trail the Fox feels much plusher and it feels like I have more travel.

So why isn't my Reba giving me 100mm? Or is it..?

OK. I have a Reba and a Fox. Both are 100mm forks (well, the reba technically 110mm but long story). When I put them next to each other the "exposed" stanchion on the fox is much longer - and if I measure the exposed stanchion on the Fox it measures 100mm.

But if I measure the exposed stanchion on the Reba it's not even 90mm. I have removed all the spacers from the spring in this fork.

On the trail the Fox feels much plusher and it feels like I have more travel.

So why isn't my Reba giving me 100mm? Or is it..?

I'm going to hazard a guess the Reba's a dual air? If it is, let some air out of the negative chamber (bottom valve). The fork will pop back up to its full travel. If it doesn't, let me know and I'll give you something else to try.

That's the right spacer. Take it out and you'll get a bit more travel. These Americans who make forks haven't got a clue how long 20mm really is. They think it is a quarter of a micro-furlong.

What can you expect from okes who measure the size of coffee in ounces?

A quarter of a micro-furlong is 50.02mm. Pretty close though...

Droo yes, dual air. So I guess dual air "slumps" because there's a separate chamber pulling it lower... Good for small bumps I suppose but still sacrifices your travel. Strange.

The trick is to inflate the negative spring until it just starts to pack down - that way you get the best of both.

Going to try this tonight.

Although my reba needs a full seal replacement as a quick fix, can one remove the spacer without tearing it down completely? Is it just a case of removing the "lock out" selector and pulling the cartridge out?