2012 94.7

Agteros

After a year of road racing, as I am a MTB'er at heart, this was my 2nd 94.7 (it's the first road race that I've done twice). I somehow got seeded in group A (last year I started out of group LL), but for a 44 year old, that laaities have got no respect for their elders.....http://1.1.1.4/bmi/cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.png .....A bunch is surely not for me. But, I am happy with my 2h43m. I was indeed well organised and I'll take the wind and heat above rain any day!!! Well done to all who finished!thumbup1.gif ......I'll be back.w00t.gif

Yeah the seeding gets bummered sometimes.

I did a 2h40 in the Carousel some time ago, and was like 6th or something, so my seeding was 2.9..... and seeing as it's a 94.7 seeding event, I got whacked into the A group (would be anyways, but this helped).

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 of us did our 1st 94.7 was a great exp on Mtbs wit slicks lots of fun will def do it again next year, best part of the race was riding around jhb city center....

Had a great day out supporting our the charity bond, Cycling for Pathways, which we started this year. Our group of 70 odd riders wore the bee suits and shirts and had a great time. I have huge respect for each and every crazy person that ride in the various outfits and suits as it must be severely draining.

Rode slowly on the mtb next to my wife who's not the fittest but we managed a sub 5 hour ride. Next year we will be riding again and our charity will be bigger and better.

After a year of road racing, as I am a MTB'er at heart, this was my 2nd 94.7 (it's the first road race that I've done twice). I somehow got seeded in group A (last year I started out of group LL), but for a 44 year old, that laaities have got no respect for their elders.....http://1.1.1.4/bmi/cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.png .....A bunch is surely not for me. But, I am happy with my 2h43m. I was indeed well organised and I'll take the wind and heat above rain any day!!! Well done to all who finished!thumbup1.gif ......I'll be back.w00t.gif

Nice one Gerhard! That's a really decent time. Is your road bike also a S-Works?

I had a nigtmare on the road.... Was aimong for a sub 3:30, but after 5 flats, 4 new tubes, 6 bombs, 2km walk on the N14 to the waterpiont and then a "second chance" tyre, managed a 4:05...

I'm not happy chappy this morning, was more frustrating than anything else...

My race was over from the 30km mark, as I got my first flat and was in the leading bunch of the K group...

I think it's worse when you are physically strong enough but mechanically everything just went wrong...

Now worst of all, I messed up my seeding for next year as I will probably start in a later group...

It's probably all part of the sport, but sjit, yesterday was awful to say the least....

I did sub 3:30 on a bog standard mtb with knobblies from N. Groupings not as NB as everyone would like to think - unless maybe you are chasing well into the 2hr mark. My view anyway.

How's this, my neighbour/training partner went MTBing on Saturday, rode 135km (about 5.5hrs) and then still pulled off a 2h46 on his mtb out of group D!

EDIT: on knobblies.

Edited by Helpmytrap

Nice one Gerhard! That's a really decent time. Is your road bike also a S-Works?

Hi G-Unit (Geoff),

Thanx man!! Are you doing better and back to normal after those Cape Pioneer Trek bees stung you??

Nope, my road bike is not a S Works, but a S Cott.....ha-ha-haw00t.gif

Keep well.

Cheers,

Gerhardthumbup1.gif

Jeez, talk about seeing a race from a different perspective! But the 6:13:32 that the old girl and I did is 20 seconds faster than the 2009 version we did together.... And she was on the deck twice! Thankfully not too hectic incidents. Highly doubt she has another ride in her, unless she prepares better in future. if not, I'll get a crack at racing this, so plus either way!

Still amazed at how hilly this course is! It's like the perfect interval training route! Well done to all who finished, with the weird windy conditions that left the course oddly feeling like it had an almost constant headwind.

Oh and backmarkers have no idea about most things to do with group riding! Mom's first take down was someone trying to overtake her on the left in no room and hooking handlebars! Going uphill and practically a fall over. (her 2nd was stopping at a water table with feet still stuck in cleats...)

Thanks Jozi, the event is certainly improving! I'll be back!

(Had a look for you capcha but couldn't see you. Hope you enjoyed the day too!)

Would you agree that, all things concidering, the 94.7 is more difficult than the Argus!?

How's this, my neighbour/training partner went MTBing on Saturday, rode 135km (about 5.5hrs) and then still pulled off a 2h46 on his mtb out of group D!

RESPECT!!

Obviously, you have a very strong neighbour....and training partner....bodes well for you!!!thumbup1.gif

RESPECT!!

Obviously, you have a very strong neighbour....and training partner....bodes well for you!!!thumbup1.gif

That is very impressive.

Jaysus. I need to go and find some hills and ride up and down them. Benoni is as flat as a pancake - hills tend to be a bit of a shocker to me...

Yeah the seeding gets bummered sometimes.

I did a 2h40 in the Carousel some time ago, and was like 6th or something, so my seeding was 2.9..... and seeing as it's a 94.7 seeding event, I got whacked into the A group (would be anyways, but this helped).

Where do you find or see your road seeding.....MTB is very transparent, but the road seeding makes my head spin.....in 94.7, I was in A....6 weeks prior for Race for Victory, I was in E....eek.gif

To the rider B2522 you my friend should not ride a bike. When someone puts there hand on your leg to let you know that you must hold your line. This is to let you know you are invading my @#$% space. When i do it for the second and third time this does not mean it’s time for you to see if you can take me out. Then punching me in the chest and then trying to ride into me again is not how you ride a bike. My friend you get my middle finger award for the biggest DICK at the 94.7. Your day will come and it will hurt i can promise you that.

One thing i would change next year is the stick on numbers, road was full of them flying around. Otherwise challenging but manageable route , spectator numbers appeared increased and lovely cheerleaders at well stocked WP (1st time iv'e seen droe wors dished out),

To the rider B2522 you my friend should not ride a bike. When someone puts there hand on your leg to let you know that you must hold your line. This is to let you know you are invading my @#$% space. When i do it for the second and third time this does not mean it’s time for you to see if you can take me out. Then punching me in the chest and then trying to ride into me again is not how you ride a bike. My friend you get my middle finger award for the biggest DICK at the 94.7. Your day will come and it will hurt i can promise you that.

jip, agree....that's is just not onthumbdown.gif

One thing i would change next year is the stick on numbers, road was full of them flying around. Otherwise challenging but manageable route , spectator numbers appeared increased and lovely cheerleaders at well stocked WP (1st time iv'e seen droe wors dished out),

Darn, was daar droe wors???? Next year I am definitely not racing in A bunch, but doing water point stops....everyone of them!!!clap.gif .....agree, even in racing mode, I noticed and continuously heard the spectators....awesome!!