Tour de France 2012

'Dale

Who will win the 2012 Tour de France?  

328 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Win The 2012 Tour De France?

• Cadel Evans
    • Frank Schleck
    • Bradley Wiggins
    • Jurgen van der Broeck
    • Levi Leipheimer
    • Robert Gesink
    • Vincenzo Nibali
    • Alejandro Valverde
    • Other (please specify)

I'd say a combination of crashes and bad luck took care of a few contenders but mainly the strength of the Sky team as a whole and Wiggo / Froome in the TT has just ridden the rest out of it.

Watching the stages where quality riders were being shelled out the back on the early climbs show what massive pressure Sky laid down. It's not as exciting as heroic attacks but it's a jugganaut that means no one can even get a chance to get away.

Don't think any rider goes to the tour as a contender and just lets it slide. I think they've been snuffed out so far... but the mountains are coming again so who knows.

Yip, Week 3 in the Pyrenees.

A lotta racing still to be done!

Go, Nibs!!!!

Get green, Sagan!!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's try again....

And the sheep-shearer only thanks his own team for bringing him back....no word about SKY sitting up. :thumbdown:

Next time they should leave the idiot :angry:

Let's try again....

And the sheep-shearer only thanks his own team for bringing him back....no word about SKY sitting up. :thumbdown:

Next time they should leave the idiot :angry:

Urhmmm thats a bit harsh, harbouring some prejudice there?

Well they definitely did thank the Team Sky DS and other DS's when they rode past the team cars back into the yellow jersey group.

Urhmmm thats a bit harsh, harbouring some prejudice there?

Well they definitely did thank the Team Sky DS and other DS's when they rode past the team cars back into the yellow jersey group.

+1. Saw that as they passed the cars and Evans said thanks to Wiggins at the end of the stage.

The tour is boring.No attacks, just cycle 220 km a day and repeat the next. some nice sprints but no attacks. :wacko:

Cadel and Nibali have both attempted attacks at various points, they just didn't work. Wiggins just isn't making mistakes and they're not hurting him on the mountain stages.

Man o man....I'm really enjoying this TDF coverage!! (first season with a PVR...)

got me nailed to the TV for much much longer that I wanted to stay and watch....it is rivetting!! no cycling...no mowing the grass...no Rugby (well, almost!!)

Seems Wiggins can't put a foot wrong....

Man o man....I'm really enjoying this TDF coverage!! (first season with a PVR...)

got me nailed to the TV for much much longer that I wanted to stay and watch....it is rivetting!! no cycling...no mowing the grass...no Rugby (well, almost!!)

Seems Wiggins can't put a foot wrong....

Yeah, it's been awesome.

And the race have been very exciting. Watching the metronomic pace of Sky and all the other contenders trying to seize control back.

Sagan has entertained big time.

The scenery (where's Grumpy Old Man) have been stunning.

Those tacks appear to have been thrown after the lead group went through, BMC particularly Evans appear to have been hit hard i counted his stopping 3x, Wiggins was not spared but he fortunately had the car following directly behind and swapped bikes quickly. Nice gesture of the main group to hold back, Sagan has gone up in my impression of him, showed lots of guts to not fall back on the mountain climbs. Cavendish also did a lot of early work on the climbs.

Cadel and Nibali have both attempted attacks at various points, they just didn't work. Wiggins just isn't making mistakes and they're not hurting him on the mountain stages.

I also think the last few stages have been boring. They are all just defending their positions now unwilling to take a chance and lose 5 positions. Unless Wiggo and Sky show some weakness in the Pyrenees I think it will just be a march forward.

Thank goodness for Sagan who at least animates the race and go's out and gives it a tonk, .......and didnt I hear here somewhere Sagan cant climb? :rolleyes: ...........Naa, cant be, I most likely had a bit too much red wine that day. :lol:

Yeah, it's been awesome.

And the race have been very exciting. Watching the metronomic pace of Sky and all the other contenders trying to seize control back.

Sagan has entertained big time.

The scenery (where's Grumpy Old Man) have been stunning.

Indeed it has.

France is just a beautiful country isnt it.? I especially love looking at those glassy lakes, almost calls me to just dive in and take a swim. :)

Indeed it has.

France is just a beautiful country isnt it.? I especially love looking at those glassy lakes, almost calls me to just dive in and take a swim. :)

Those old lil' villages with narrow streets are cool too.

"I tried to convince him to come to our team but he wanted to stay at Sky," Garmin's Jonathan Vaughters told Cyclingnews.

Froome eventually settled for Sky, on a multiple year contract and increased salary.

"We started to talk to him five or six days into the Vuelta, before he'd done anything incredible but as his performance got better and better he just became out of reach financially. It just became unrealistic for me to continue down that path. I offered him a contract but as soon as he started doing well at the Vuelta there were tonnes of teams. It was just a case of a being a day late and a dollar short."

From

www.cyclingnews.com

Edited by ' Dale

Im guessing Nibs gonna try something soon. I dont think Wiggo can chase him down on his own without Froome. Yes Wiggo is an awesome, talented, spectacular rider. For once I just want to see him actually chase down an attack by Nibs or Cuddles. Nibs is lurking and waiting his chance. What if Froome chases him down and drops Wiggo, will they ask Froome to drop back to pace Wiggo in and risk letting Nibs go.

Im guessing Nibs gonna try something soon. I dont think Wiggo can chase him down on his own without Froome. Yes Wiggo is an awesome, talented, spectacular rider. For once I just want to see him actually chase down an attack by Nibs or Cuddles. Nibs is lurking and waiting his chance. What if Froome chases him down and drops Wiggo, will they ask Froome to drop back to pace Wiggo in and risk letting Nibs go.

The Pyrenees suits Nibali.

Basso will be an important support.

I wonder how much more strength there is in the Sky Train for more attacks.

Wiggo has the final 51 km TT, I think, in his back pocket and will count on that as an ace.

Rightly so.

Edited by ' Dale

Two mountain stages left. Nibs better do something. He cant leave it till Saturday. Wiggins seems tired maybe thats why he is sitting back and just keeping the gap where it is. His team is left to chase down everything. If he has to chase down a break in the mountains he will be spent for TT.

As I said, I doubt Nibs will attack unless he sees there is a good sign of weakness in Wiggo or Sky, he has too much to lose if he spends all his energy and gets passed by Cadel in the TT.

My feeling is he will just defend his position from here out, realistically I think he knows he cant go much higher, but he can certainly plummit down, 3rd is still a great position.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy