Preferred bike Lady - ABSA Cape Epic

Nicola13

Sorry Tank,but for once I beat you :ph34r:

Haha! You did, I was busy reading other threads ... forgot a bit to hit post!

Nicola to answer your question I think we need a few pics of your geometry...you know to see what bike will fit best. Just numbers isn't enough. Must be in Lycra shorts and preferably only a bra.

Pics of the calves and buttox area would help immensely.

Nope during this years Epic Ariane and Erik were on Giant Anthems X0 29ers, 2011 frames to be exact. Mavic Crossmax 29er wheels, Rock Shox Sid ... etc.

post-4352-0-74527800-1339432546.jpg

Thanks - 29er it is then.

Every other race I recall seeing them riding their XTC bikes. Epic (and probably the Cape Pioneer) really are quite different to any other races in this country and different rules seem to apply even for the best pro teams.

I've no idea why this is of any relevance but either way how you would classify me:

This year I've raced in 9 or 10 races (all 60+km) including two 3 day stage races with a top 75 finish in Sani2c race. Does that make me a rider or a racer?

Shiver me timbers , my humblest apologies, you are a racer in this case.

Either way, you still have 70 + riders ahead of you and many of them on full suspension bikes..

In my limited riding ability and not having done 10 odd races this year, I will try and help the OP in a best way possible.

Too many people look at the pro's and the top riders thinking that they have to do exactly what these guys do.

Firstly, they are sponsored and will often ride what the sponsor dictate's .

My advice, spending 8 days on a bike puts massive impact on the body, the kind of impact many won't feel immediately but will know about it afterwards.

So first few questions to ask.

1. How well do you climb.

2. How good are your technical abilities.

3. Where in the field do you want to finish.

1. If you climb well and think you need a hard tail for all the climbs, do bear in mind that a full suspension bike gives you better traction on the rocky and technical climbs.

2. Most people think they are the Minnaar's of the world ,truth be told they are not and need all the help they can get for the downhills, again why bounce all over the place when you can have a bike that can take the impact and help you through the rough stuff.

3. Unless you intend to finish ahead of Sauser and Stander, you might as well go for the most comfort available to you.

It's very much the same as Kumite, you have a choice to wear a mouth guard or not, you stand a chance of getting kicked or punched in the mouth, having that mouth guard just makes you feel that much more comfortable afterwards.

On the Epic it's not a case of standing a chance, rather you WILL be kicked in the mouth all day long, that race will impact your body more than you can imagine, you might as well then get a "mouth guard" for the maximum comfort.

So in short at the OP, get a full suspension, being it a 26'er or a 29'er and go and make your Epic the best experience you could ever imagine.

Now off to train for my first three day event.

I rode my second Epic this year. First time round did on a 26" Epic soft tail. This year did it on a Bulls 29"hardtail. Must say I much prefered this years ride. I love my bike and I don't care what anyone says I won't change it. You are way light enough to use a hard tail. That's my 2c.

I am an old ballie weighing 70kg's.

Did 2011 Epic on ST 26'er.

Switched to 29'er hardtail exactly two months before 2012 Epic - NO PROBLEM.Had a great ride.

Edited by ScottMad

Shiver me timbers , my humblest apologies, you are a racer in this case. Either way, you still have 70 + riders ahead of you and many of them on full suspension bikes.. In my limited riding ability and not having done 10 odd races this year, I will try and help the OP in a best way possible. Too many people look at the pro's and the top riders thinking that they have to do exactly what these guys do. Firstly, they are sponsored and will often ride what the sponsor dictate's . My advice, spending 8 days on a bike puts massive impact on the body, the kind of impact many won't feel immediately but will know about it afterwards. So first few questions to ask. 1. How well do you climb. 2. How good are your technical abilities. 3. Where in the field do you want to finish. 1. If you climb well and think you need a hard tail for all the climbs, do bear in mind that a full suspension bike gives you better traction on the rocky and technical climbs. 2. Most people think they are the Minnaar's of the world ,truth be told they are not and need all the help they can get for the downhills, again why bounce all over the place when you can have a bike that can take the impact and help you through the rough stuff. 3. Unless you intend to finish ahead of Sauser and Stander, you might as well go for the most comfort available to you. It's very much the same as Kumite, you have a choice to wear a mouth guard or not, you stand a chance of getting kicked or punched in the mouth, having that mouth guard just makes you feel that much more comfortable afterwards. On the Epic it's not a case of standing a chance, rather you WILL be kicked in the mouth all day long, that race will impact your body more than you can imagine, you might as well then get a "mouth guard" for the maximum comfort. So in short at the OP, get a full suspension, being it a 26'er or a 29'er and go and make your Epic the best experience you could ever imagine. Now off to train for my first three day event.

1. How well do you climb - I'm an average mountain biker, so end up in the middle of the field with a race... on Sani it happened more than a couple of times that everyone else walked a climb and i rode it to the top... (keep in mind, this is in the middle of the field...) My method is, i ride till my bike comes to a stand still, and i have to walk, struggling with ITB, so i walk/run as little as possible, especially on hills.

2. How good are your technical abilities. only one word - flatout! (Has landed me in hospital a couple of times... :wacko:) I try everything, don't succeed at all of them...

3. Where in the field do you want to finish. I just want to finish... in one piece...

Nicola to answer your question I think we need a few pics of your geometry...you know to see what bike will fit best. Just numbers isn't enough. Must be in Lycra shorts and preferably only a bra. Pics of the calves and buttox area would help immensely.

Haha!!! Very funny... :blush:

3. Where in the field do you want to finish. I just want to finish... in one piece...

Well that pretty much answers all your questions.

Also remember, a soft-tail is not a full suspension bike.

@the hardtail Epic riders out there, yeah I am a softy and don't mind.

Well that pretty much answers all your questions.

Also remember, a soft-tail is not a full suspension bike.

@the hardtail Epic riders out there, yeah I am a softy and don't mind.

Yeah right.... :whistling:

Ek het gehoor dat daar later die jaar met 2013 se reeks, miskien 650B duels gaan wees. Dalk Scott of Merida?

Dit lyk vir my na 'n opsie. Wie weet meer oor dit?