9 Speed / 10 Speed - Road Groupset

willemiventer

Yep, it gives you one more gear ratio. :)

You can choose (within limits) to tuck it on at either side of the range, or squeeze it in somewhere in the middle).

Other than that ... For Shimano:

• The cassettes are the same width (10speed comes with a spacer to pad it out);
  • Chains are narrower for 10speed;
  • Shifters are not compatible;
  • However rear derailleurs and front derailleurs ARE compatible.
  • Chainrings are compatible

Not sure exactly what difference you looking at?

Function

Weight

Aesthetics?

Hi Robo,

My rear derailller is on its last legs, I am using Tiagra 9 speed Double, was wondering if I can change it to 10 speed?

Hi Robo,

My rear derailller is on its last legs, I am using Tiagra 9 speed Double, was wondering if I can change it to 10 speed?

It should work. The movement from gear to gear is controlled by the shifters, not the deraileur (which just holds the chain in place). Personally I've used a 9spd MTB drivetrain with a 8 speed RD with no problems.

If you do not want to splash too much cash, Tiagra comes in 10speed now ;) Let your LBS get you quotes from the distributors, or order online.... Just make sure about the total number of teeth the RD can accomodate. Once again the LBS (if worth their salt) should be able to assist, otherwise the hub & google are your friends

On cwcycles.co.za, the 105 10speed deraileur is described as follows:

Features

• 222 grams (short cage)

• Compatible with 8, 9 or 10 speed Shimano drivetrains

• 28t max

The old 105 9 speed deraileurs worked perfectly with the 10 speed set up. There is no reason why the same shouldn't apply to Tiagra.

What is wrong with the derailleur that you say its on it's last legs?

I have always wondered, besides how can it be the same width if it needs a spacer ;). but why would 10sp need a spacer since that means it must be narrower ..... so 1 more gear in less space :wacko:

Hi Robo,

I don't see any advantage in changing it to a 10 speed (unless you already have one). Rather get a 9 speed Sora. The shimano 9 and 10 speed road derailleurs can usually be made to work when swopped around but the shifters, chains and cassetts can't.

What makes you say your RD is on its way out? They usually outlive everything else in the drivetrain, unless you grate them on the tar.

I have always wondered, besides how can it be the same width if it needs a spacer ;). but why would 10sp need a spacer since that means it must be narrower ..... so 1 more gear in less space :wacko:

The 10speed is, surprisingly, narrower than the 9 speed.

My Fulcrums do not need a spacer, however the PT hub requires it. Guess it is there for it the freebody on your wheel needs it

Yep, it gives you one more gear ratio. :)

You can choose (within limits) to tuck it on at either side of the range, or squeeze it in somewhere in the middle).

Other than that ... For Shimano:

• The cassettes are the same width (10speed comes with a spacer to pad it out);
  • Chains are narrower for 10speed;
  • Shifters are not compatible;
  • However rear derailleurs and front derailleurs ARE compatible.
  • Chainrings are compatible

Not sure exactly what difference you looking at?

Function

Weight

Aesthetics?

After speaking to various LBS you get different answers!

"Will a 10spd (double) F/D be compatible with a 9spd setup" ?

I would think No because they are narrower and will cause the 9spd chain to rub. A 9spd F/D has a width of 9/10mm for chain movement.