Lance Armstrong Banned and Stripped of TDF Titles

101SCC

Weird, I would have thought the general public didn't give a **** about this story.

Oh, but they do. The Lance fans and the general public have a common enemy: the French after their refusal to get involved in Iraq. Remember the Freedom Fries thing?

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My non cycling mates in the States are interested in this story, not only from the French angle, but because there is the very strong possibility that they have been duped on the whole livestrong fund raiser.

If the septics have been scammed you can expect quite a backlash which is why it is being followed so closely by the quality press stateside.

I see a review board decided unanimously that he should be charged, after reviewing USADA's case. If LA decide to dispute the charges, which I guess he would, it will go to public hearings with witnesses etc. It looks to me that only one of his 7 titles and the comeback results can be stripped.

I don't care what happens to his old results, thats old history by now and the world have moved on. I would be interested to know the whole story, though.

I really don't care about his titles. If found guilty by the review board we'll all know that he is a liar and a cheat. And his whole post 1998 career has been a fraud.

Only because he has stated so often "I've never doped".

If the review board finds him innocent of the charges (luckily, unlike a criminal case, not proven is not an option) then I'll be able to accept that he is truly an exceptional super human athlete and honest.

I see the blood-doping indicated tests they're referring to are from 2009/10. So he retires, comes back, blood dopes, ruins career. I know that there are 10 associates testifying against him, but coming back to solidify the evidence is idiotic. If it's true.

Sad. I really hoped it was nothing. Many cancer patients, and the sport, really needed him to be clean.

Yes Tumble, I believe so:

"All respondents will have the opportunity to exercise their right to a full public arbitration hearing, should they so choose, where all evidence would be presented, witness testimony would be given under oath, and an independent group of arbitrators would ultimately decide the outcome of the case. USADA will continue to follow the established procedures that are compliant with federal law and were approved by athletes, the U.S. Olympic Committee, and all Olympic sports organizations."

Should Armstrong wish to fight the charges, the case will go in front of an arbitration panel, where all of the evidence will be aired.

Armstrong stands to lose at least one of his Tour titles due to the eight-year statute of limitations on doping charges, however the World Anti-Doping Agency confirmed to Cyclingnews that older evidence may be used to support current charges in certain cases.

"An arbitration panel will also have to consider whether evidence outside the period of eight years can be used to corroborate evidence within the limitations period," WADA's Terence O'Rorke said.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12249/USADA-confirms-unanimous-decision-to-press-doping-charges-against-Armstrong-Bruyneel-and-others.aspx

edit added link to velonation article

Edited by petatodd

According to Velonation news USADA has no plan to suspend Bruyneel or doctor Pedro Celaya. That makes the story of a Armstrong Conspiracy even more credible.

I suspect it is to coax them to testify against LA....

From Cyclingnews.com

Report: Hincapie, Leipheimer, Vande Velde, Zabriskie, Vaughters give evidence against Armstrong

Four former teammates of Lance Armstrong will receive six month bans after they confessed to doping and testified against the seven-time Tour de France winner

Miraculously, USADA has arranged for the suspensions to begin at the start at the end of the season so that they are able to race both the Tour de France and the Vuelta a Espana...

From Cyclingnews.com

Report: Hincapie, Leipheimer, Vande Velde, Zabriskie, Vaughters give evidence against Armstrong

Four former teammates of Lance Armstrong will receive six month bans after they confessed to doping and testified against the seven-time Tour de France winner

Miraculously, USADA has arranged for the suspensions to begin at the start at the end of the season so that they are able to race both the Tour de France and the Vuelta a Espana...

Thank you...

where is everyone who said it was only a few riders who doped, not the entire pro peleton....

From Cyclingnews.com

Jonathan Vaughters@Vaughters

I think I'm gonna get a lot more followers on twitter today. Just a hunch...

Thank you...

where is everyone who said it was only a few riders who doped, not the entire pro peleton....

And Lance and George are (I guess now were) huge mates. They came up through the ranks together. George is one of like 5 guys I respect, so if he says Lance doped, Lance doped. Same goes for Levi and Zabriskie.

This is going to be a HUGE bubble that's going to burst around Lance's superhero image. I see him going from Hero to Zero in no time...

Interesting comment from cyclingnews.com's managing ed:

Daniel Benson@dnlbenson

Six month ban? That doesn't sound like immunity to me

And Lance and George are (I guess now were) huge mates. They came up through the ranks together. George is one of like 5 guys I respect, so if he says Lance doped, Lance doped. Same goes for Levi and Zabriskie.

This is going to be a HUGE bubble that's going to burst around Lance's superhero image. I see him going from Hero to Zero in no time...

and if they're were doing it, you can bet lance's other ball everyone else was doing it as well...