2013 Absa Cape Epic Announces R1 Million Prize Purse

Matt

The Absa Cape Epic, the most televised mountain bike race in the world, has announced an increased prize purse of R1 million for the 10th edition of the race next year, which consolidates its position as mountain bike race with the largest prize purse in the world. The event’s total prize purse has doubled in a period of only three years.

Says Kevin Vermaak, founder of the Absa Cape Epic: “I asked Susi (Christoph Sauser has been racing professionally since 1993, was a bronze medalist at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney, World Marathon Champion in 2011 and 2007, three times Absa Cape Epic winner, European Marathon Champion in 2007, and World Cross-Country Champion in 2008, apart from being a six times Swiss Champion, amongst others) in the early days what his advise would be to grow our event in terms of professional participation, and his answer was, jokingly, to have R1 million in prize money. I’m delighted to announce that we can now offer exactly that. With our rich prize purse, we’d like to honour the effort that so many of the world’s top riders make to ride the race, travelling from around the world to be here. The Absa Cape Epic is by far the highest payout of any race in South Africa, road or mountain bike, and I’m happy that we can do this for cycling in our magnificent country.”

Vermaak continues: “Up to 64% of the money will be paid to the top men’s teams and the overall general classification, with the rest going to the top ladies, mixed and masters teams. Next year is a celebratory year, being our 10th birthday event, and I’d like to thank our sponsors for their on-going support in working with us to grow this event. Telkom Business will continue to sponsor our intermediate hotspots, so I would like to thank them also for their contribution to our increased total prize purse.”

Adds Lynn Naude, Absa General Manager Sponsorships and Events: “Celebrating the iconic 10th edition of the race is testimony to how this event continues to grow from strength to strength. The organisers’ decision to increase the prize purse will be an exciting incentive and well-deserved reward for the winners of the 2013 Absa Cape Epic. Absa is proud to have played its part in this journey and congratulates Kevin Vermaak and his team on reaching this milestone.”

The race will once again see 1 200 riders in the start chute in 2013. Says Vermaak: “Even if we have all the world champions on the start line, the race remains absolutely achievable for anyone that sets his or her mind to do it. Riding alongside the world’s top riders is a huge plus, but perhaps what is even more important to the amateurs that come from all over the world, is the quality of the route and of our event services. This remains the core of what we’re about,” Vermaak concludes.

The Absa Cape Epic, the largest mountain bike stage race in the world, celebrates its 10th event in 2013 and is bound to offer both riders and supporters a one-of-a-kind experience in the run up to and during the event.

Visit www.cape-epic.com for more information.

Click here to view the article

Yeah, but,yeah, but who really won the 2012 Epic???

You wonder how things would have panned out if this prize money was for this year, mmmm.

so they're only about 20 years behind the green bank and their golf tournament, with the wrong currency!

Edited by The Dictator

And for all our normal pleps it does not matter .. :(

Good for the pro's though...

And for all our normal pleps it does not matter .. :(

Good for the pro's though...

Not entirely true, it'll push up your entry fee :whistling:

Wow nothing good to say!!

I think it is great. Well done Kevin. Good on you. I love that race and wish I could do it every year. Well done to the Epic and all that work there. Great race and keep it up.

Also keep putting up the entrance fees as I don't want the whiney people of this country there. I want people who enjoy the race as much as me and who have fun during the 8 days of racing.

Edited by Top Fuel

Still don't understand how the purse is so small. Or the entry is so expensive. If you come 2nd, you can't even pay your entry fee, excluding if you got sponsored. I am sure a 2nd placed athlete in such a big event should at least be able to cover his entry fee?