Continental Race King

Nicola13

what kinda rocks ?. ;)

Like big boulders!

Seriously though, my tyres have given me over 300k's of painless riding. Conti UST tyres the whole way!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Conti Race Kings are total crap. They're fast, because they have no grip. You're better off with slicks, atleast then you won't kid yourself into thinking there might be some grip in the corners.

I'd say a good all rounder is Maxxis Ardent. If you can find 'em.

Conti Race Kings are total crap. They're fast, because they have no grip. You're better off with slicks, atleast then you won't kid yourself into thinking there might be some grip in the corners.

I'd say a good all rounder is Maxxis Ardent. If you can find 'em.

i suspect you just lack skill, ardents are the equavelant of mountainkings 2 and thats only ok in really wet muddy conditions. otherwise they are total overkill. Racekings not my fav but you can handle them in any situation, if your skilled enough.

Running RK's 2.2 front and back (UST), but not much grip for my riding. Will keep it on the back for now but looking for a tyre with more grip. Someone said the Mountain King's are not that grippy at the front, what alternative would you guys suggest at the front?

I have been running a 2.2 Race King (UST) back and a 2.4 Mount King (UST) upfront with no issues at all. the first pair lasted 2500k's and I recently put on a new set before Sani2C.

That said, the race king is not a great tyre in the mud. Last weekend at Jonkershoek it was a bit muddy from all the rain and the race king did not fair too well. The mountain king was perfect though.

I think for my next set Ill probably keep the Mountain king upfront but change to a cross king at the back. Either way I think the Conti UST tyres are bomb proof and whoever says they are too heavy has rocks in his head.

I went from

MK - front

RK - back -J2C combo

to

XK - front

RK - back - last 6 months combo

Today

MKii 2.4 - front

XK - rear ( slightly worn as it has been on my front wheel for 4 months.)

I like Conti tyres and I like experimenting with the various combos

Running RK's 2.2 front and back (UST), but not much grip for my riding. Will keep it on the back for now but looking for a tyre with more grip. Someone said the Mountain King's are not that grippy at the front, what alternative would you guys suggest at the front?

depends on conditions but

x-king, geax suagaro, maxxis ikon, rocket ron snakesin, all good front tyres.

I had race king ust's. If you have the ust they are double walled. Already durable and strong so no need for the protection version. They didn't grip as well as rocket rons, on the back wheel they have better stopping power but on the front go for x-kings.

i suspect you just lack skill, ardents are the equavelant of mountainkings 2 and thats only ok in really wet muddy conditions. otherwise they are total overkill. Racekings not my fav but you can handle them in any situation, if your skilled enough.

While you may be right about my lacking skill, the fact that you need 'skill' to use race kings would make them unsuitable for a beginner, which is precisely what the OP is asking about.

Also, wouldn't you say that the fact that one needs special 'skills' to run Race Kings somewhat affirms my point about them having little grip?

As for Ardents, they're an aggressive XC tyre, not a mud tyre. I found they don't shed mud well, but they're quite fast, and have decent grip in most conditions.

Edited by Corvus

While you may be right about my lacking skill, the fact that you need 'skill' to use race kings would make them unsuitable for a beginner, which is precisely what the OP is asking about.

Also, wouldn't you say that the fact that one needs special 'skills' to run Race Kings somewhat affirms my point about them having little grip?

As for Ardents, they're an aggressive XC tyre, not a mud tyre. I found they don't shed mud well, but they're quite fast, and have decent grip in most conditions.

As to your lacking skill, i wasnt trying to be mean, but its a fact that as you progress you can do away with grippier tyres for more XC fast rolling orientated rubber. Its a matter of evolution. BTW ardents are more AM than XC but yea very grippy very nice wheels. And i agree with you beginners should start on the grippier stuff it helps build confidence.

As to your lacking skill, i wasnt trying to be mean, but its a fact that as you progress you can do away with grippier tyres for more XC fast rolling orientated rubber. Its a matter of evolution. BTW ardents are more AM than XC but yea very grippy very nice wheels. And I agree with you beginners should start on the grippier stuff it helps build confidence.

I dont think this topic deserves quite as much attention as this thread has given Its a marathon / xc tyre for crying out loud... But I cant resist making the point that one will feel the effects of a heavier and more "grippy" for at least 4 out of 5 hours during a long marathon (beginner-intermediate) whilst all this extra grip might be used through one or two lose corners, and save you??? maybe 5 seconds. I rest my case.

I run Mountain King 2.4 UST up front, and Race King 2.2 UST at the rear.

This combo did Sani2c and Mankele Avalanche - I don't think you could ask for much more.

There is no question that it is fast but it is pretty loose at the back end.

I run Mountain King 2.4 UST up front, and Race King 2.2 UST at the rear.

This combo did Sani2c and Mankele Avalanche - I don't think you could ask for much more.

There is no question that it is fast but it is pretty loose at the back end.

That must be some heavy tires. Is it really necessary for tires so wide? Do you ride a DS?

That must be some heavy tires. Is it really necessary for tires so wide? Do you ride a DS?

In the conti world 2.4 means 2.2 and 2.2 means 2.0

I dont think this topic deserves quite as much attention as this thread has given Its a marathon / xc tyre for crying out loud... But I cant resist making the point that one will feel the effects of a heavier and more "grippy" for at least 4 out of 5 hours during a long marathon (beginner-intermediate) whilst all this extra grip might be used through one or two lose corners, and save you??? maybe 5 seconds. I rest my case.

Agreed, but lets face it if your starting out speed is'nt you main concern staying ontop of the bike is your no1 priority. So as you get fitter and progress, its normally just much easier doing it on aggressive rubber than it is doing it on true xc rubber. As a rider becomes fitter, faster, and more skilled it becomes easier to do the same stuff on less grippier rubber.