MTB Chain Wear

Carsten

Hi, I have gor two mountain bikes, A Giant Terrago 2010 model and a Giant Trance X4 2012 Model.

I find that the chains need replacing at around 1200km for the Terrago but for the Trance it is around 700km

I mainly use the Terrago for my training rides during the week and over the weekends I do one or other MTB event with the Trance.

I am curious about the large difference in the km that I achieve on the chains between the bikes.

How do you know the chain needs replacement? A tool or the LBS? Or it looks rusty? From what I understand most guys put a chain and cesette on and ride them together untill they start skipping or bad shifting? Which could be anywhere from the 2.5k mark to maybe even 5k?

Your chains should last at least 2500 km on a mtb.

Did 2700km on the terrago and ended up having to replace Chain, Cassette and the chain rings.

How do you know the chain needs replacement? A tool or the LBS? Or it looks rusty? From what I understand most guys put a chain and cesette on and ride them together untill they start skipping or bad shifting? Which could be anywhere from the 2.5k mark to maybe even 5k?

There is a tool which I had lend from my LBS every now and again to check the chain, have a great relationship with them. That is when I discovered the distance when I started keeping record of the distances that I ride

at what lenght increase do you replace? .25, .50, .75, etc? I think maybe send me your almost new chain after you replace @ 750km :D Ooo and another thing. Replace your casette if you havent. A worn casette will wear chains quicker as I understand.

Not perhaps riding conditions and terrain?

You could be right - Currently live in Carletonville and the terrian is relativily flat there for MTB riding where I do my training rides.

Maybe a very opportunistic lbs? ;)

Very small town (Carletonville) the LBS has been there for years.

There is a tool which I had lend from my LBS every now and again to check the chain, have a great relationship with them. That is when I discovered the distance when I started keeping record of the distances that I ride

Try not replacing the chain and see how far you can go? I get well over 2000km from my chain, I then replace the chain, after that I will replace rear cluster and eventually after at least 5000km I will replace the front chainrings. I do all of this without any mechanical issues.

What chains etc are you using? I use SRAM 971 and Deore cassettes and chainrings and get good mileage from then. I also lube the chain with squirt after every ride and take it off and clean every 4-6 rides (depending on conditions).

Does a chain on a dual suspension bike wear quicker than on a hard tail then?

Try not replacing the chain and see how far you can go? I get well over 2000km from my chain, I then replace the chain, after that I will replace rear cluster and eventually after at least 5000km I will replace the front chainrings. I do all of this without any mechanical issues.

What chains etc are you using? I use SRAM 971 and Deore cassettes and chainrings and get good mileage from then. I also lube the chain with squirt after every ride and take it off and clean every 4-6 rides (depending on conditions).

Does a chain on a dual suspension bike wear quicker than on a hard tail then?

If we did not run spring loaded rear derailers I would say it makes sense. But it does not unless you mountaineer with the Trance and commute woth the hard tail. I imagine the Trance's cluster is just worn badly?

Been doing some reading on the internet, I guess I am what they call a chain masher, when I ride in events I change my gears a lot and use the whole cassette from the middle chain ring instead of trying to keep the chain as straight as possible.

When I ride in Carletonville as the area is relatively flat I hardly change my gears. :whistling:

For what it's worth, I get between 900 and 1000km on my SS chain. (regardless of what chain it is.)

I replace the chain just as it reaches 1% stretch.

Guys, stop guessing and speculating. In one of the pinned articles right at the top of the Tech Q&A section there is an attachment on Everything you Need to Know about Bicycle chains.

There answers are in there.