AM tyres... what you running?

patches

Keen to try out some Maxxis next.

But currently very happy with a 2.35 Rock Razor in the back (27,5") and a 2,35 Nobby Nick in the front (but feel I could get something with less "resistance") on 30mm internal rims.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! I was thinking it was a cut down Minion. Kinda like a burly Slaughter / RR idea on steroids for more gravity trails at the back. The Maxxis range just confuses the hell out of me... I think that's why I've stayed away for so long. So many casings, compounds, sidewalls. I just want a good tyre for hammering trails that mostly point down hill and won't fall apart! :)

Keep it simple:

For the front: A DHF, DHR II or High Roller II. A Shorty is a good option if you ride often in slimy muck or deep dust. Loose over hardpack is not its best friend.

For the back: Same as above, but include the Aggressor.

Go for an EXO upfront and DoubleDown rear in MaxxTerra versions.

Also go for the widest you can get your hands on. Much like me, Maxxis overstates the number of inches its packing.

Edited by ØÐINSȪƝ

Keep it simple:

For the front: A DHF, DHR II or High Roller II. A Shorty is a good option if you ride often in slimy muck or deep dust. Loose over hardpack is not its best friend.

For the back: Same as above, but include the Aggressor.

Go for an EXO upfront and DoubleDown rear in MaxxTerra versions.

Also go for the widest you can get your hands on. Much like me, Maxxis overstates the number of inches its packing.

Cheers Odi and Myles for the input! Hey when are we getting a ride report of you Raidon? didn't you do an Endro just after you got it? :)

Plenty of options, all currently available:

• Aggressor 27.5 / 650B, 2.35, 60 TPI Foldable EXO / TR
  • High Roller II 27.5 / 650B, 2.3, 60 TPI Foldable 3C / EXO / TR
  • High Roller II 29 inch, 2.3, 60 TPI Foldable 3C / EXO / TR
  • Aggressor 29 inch, 2.3, 60 TPI Foldable EXO / TR
  • Ikon+ 27.5 / 650B, 2.8, 120 TPI Foldable 3C / EXO / TR
  • Minion DHF 27.5 / 650B, 2.5, 60 TPI Dual Ply Foldable 3C / TR / DH
  • Minion DHF 27.5 / 650B, 2.3, 60 TPI Foldable 3C / EXO / TR
  • Minion DHF 29 inch, 2.3, 60 TPI Foldable 3C / EXO / TR
  • Rekon+ 27.5 / 650B, 2.8, 120 TPI Foldable 3C / EXO / TR
  • Minion DHR II 29 inch, 2.4, 60 TPI Foldable 3C / EXO / TR
  • Minion DHR II 27.5 / 650B, 2.3, 60 TPI Foldable 3C / EXO / TR
  • Shorty 27.5 / 650B, 2.5, 60 TPI Foldable 3C MaxxGrip
  • Shorty 29 inch, 2.5, 60 TPI Foldable 3C MaxxTerra
  • High Roller II 27.5 / 650B, 2.4, 60 TPI Dual Ply Foldable 3C / TR / DH
  • Aggressor 27.5 / 650B, 2.3, 120 TPI Dual Ply Foldable 3C / TR / DD
  • Aggressor 29 inch, 2.3, 120 TPI Dual Ply Foldable 3C / TR / DD
  • Minion DHR II 27.5 / 650B, 2.3, 120 TPI Dual Ply Foldable 3C / TR / DD
  • Minion DHR II 29 inch, 2.3, 120 TPI Dual Ply Foldable 3C / TR / DD
  • Minion DHF 27.5 / 650B, 2.5, 60 TPI Dual Ply Wire / 3C
  • Minion DHR II 27.5 / 650B, 2.4, 60 TPI Dual Ply Wire / 3C
And before the storm begins, ^^this^^ is exactly what makes it so difficult for dealers to have and / or know all of the gravity options for you guys. But, these are all available, and I think most dealers will agree that we get product across the country reasonably fast ;)

Indeed Andre - Rush has catered very well to the Gravity tyre options available in SA.

I'm gonna throw our name in here quick as we will have a feature up about us on BikeHub in May - In the meantime, we launched last week and have most of these Maxxis in stock and ready to deliver!! We are biased towards the Trail and Gravity side so we have catered specifically to these disciplines with a load of great Brands and products. Give us a call or drop us an email if you require anything specific, what we don't have we can get in quick!

Check our tyre selection here -> https://ridewithzeal.co.za/collections/tyres

Cheers Odi and Myles for the input! Hey when are we getting a ride report of you Raidon? didn't you do an Endro just after you got it? :)

I've got something planned, so keep your eyes peeled.

The enduro race was an absolute muddy nightmare. I've never experienced anything like that before. It's characer building to say the least flying blind down clay tracks in single digit temps and constant rain. That being said, the bike handled it beautifully.

I see all the talk about Minions and Marys and I'm just like; WTB for me :whistling:

Breakout 2.5 and Trail Boss 2.4 - super combo!

Totally agree! Until just recently I ran this combo. That 2.5 Breakout on the wide rims looks 27.5+ it's so big - Awesome high volume tyre. Was enjoying the Trail Boss 2.4 out back too until I slashed it on a fence stake sticking a couple of inches out the ground.

Now I have a DHF 2.5 WT out front and swapped the Breakout to the rear as it's still newish - High Grip compound though so probably won't last too long out back. It's actually very similar to the Maxis Aggressor in a way that it's tread is pretty evenly sized and spaced all round, has good sized blocks and low rolling resistance. Been liking it so once it's finished I'll do the Aggressor in Double Down casing.

I run Vredestein Bobcats. 27.5"x2.35".

A DRI this weekend I learned never ever to run XC tyre pressures. :whistling:

2.5 to 3 bar!!!

2.5 to 3 bar!!!

Bloody hell, that's high!

You should never run those pressures, ever on an MTB.... Unless your route consists of tar, tar and more tar. Oh and if you're on a dirt jumper / slopestyle bike. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

2.5 to 3 bar!!!

As Myles said, NEVER run those kinds of tyre pressures, unless you are riding dirt jumps or slopestyle.

2.5 - 3 bar isn't even XC pressures.

I was running 1.8 bar at the rear and 1.6 front.

Rear tyre got a pinch flat. Mostly ran this pressure on my old bike.

Sorry. Not XC but rather XCM.

Edited by Reden

Still shouldn't be running that for XCM... 

Depending on the terrain you may need to inflate slightly, but not nearly to those levels. Talking a range of ~3 PSI based on terrain. Which is 0.2 bar. 

I run a slightly firmer finger squeeze pressure on the rear and a slightly softer finger squeeze on the front.

Same here. My pump's gauge is broken, so I need to go by feel. 

Anything less than 2bar is asking for **** at Helderkruin! Looked like an awesome race,sorry to have missed it.

I run a slightly firmer finger squeeze pressure on the rear and a slightly softer finger squeeze on the front.

This is IMO, still the best test to get you very close an individual's personal preference wrt tyre pressure. Top cap deformation is where the grip is anyway. :thumbup:

Bloody hell, that's high!

You should never run those pressures, ever on an MTB.... Unless your route consists of tar, tar and more tar. Oh and if you're on a dirt jumper / slopestyle bike. 

Have you seen some manufacturers min pressure recommendations on the sidewalls? Onza Ibex for example  recommends 2.5bar min.

p4pb11615163.jpg

some of the conti's want 3bar, however I have run them as low as 1.1 but thats with the thick sidewall of the de kaser projeKt

Edited by Eddy Gordo