AM tyres... what you running?

patches

I am in the very fortunate position at the moment of having tried out & busy trying out loads of different tires on the bikes i review. 

I have just come off an E*Thirteen TRS+ and Onza Ibex combo on my last test bike.

So many bikes are being spec'd with the E*Thirteen rubber and seeing them loads in the media reviews and side stories - Not particularly about the tires but they're on the bikes being used. Pretty much all say they are the business so I'm def keen to get onto a set in the future.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I have run the onza low, the roll too much and when too hard they slip too much. So somewhere between 1.8 and 2.5 bar for me. Still need to find the sweet spot

I find the Onza Ibex a stupid tyre. Very pressure sensitive. Have a nice open knee and elbow from a hardpack slipout. I going stick a Minnion DHF upfront with a Ikon or Adent Race rear #enduro.

I weigh 90kg. Run the Ground Control Grid 2.3" at 26psi and the Minion DHF DD 2.3" front at 28 psi.  Works for me, but still playing around.  Front may be a tad hard still, but I am a front heavy rider.

Don't you find the Minion DHF DD as too heavy for a bike you pedal uphill?

I actually have a brand new one I bought by mistake(wanted EXO) but geez 1146g is DH territory.

I actually have a brand new one I bought by mistake(wanted EXO) but geez 1146g is DH territory.

Nope. May be a bit slower, but it's just extra super secret training. And far better for the downs. 

And braking performance?  

I can immediately pick up a massive difference between the Slaughter which is pretty much a RR and the Ground Control I'm running on the back now.  Much harder to break traction but also brakes much better so I can brake later.

Those Slaughters grip pretty well when new, but once they slightly worn off, braking traction disappeared, especially the last few dry and dusty months of summer. Switched to a DHF2 WT at the back, and it's like dropping an anchor.

Nope. May be a bit slower, but it's just extra super secret training. And far better for the downs. 

I'm starting to think it's actually a lot slower. 26-27min up the mountain vs 22 mins with lighter/less rolling resistance rubbers. My legs are also not too happy to do 50-60 km rides anymore.

I'm starting to think it's actually a lot slower. 26-27min up the mountain vs 22 mins with lighter/less rolling resistance rubbers. My legs are also not too happy to do 50-60 km rides anymore.

I love light tyres. It really makes a massive difference.

I have the cheapest Jeffsy without lockout and TBH it pedals K@K. So very hesitant to go too heavy in the tyres.

I love grippy tyres, but for long sustained climbs, they can hurt on long climbs or flat sections. My Der Baron has grips for ages, but is somewhat of a pig on the climbs. On cycle paths I can actually hear the knobs stick and unstick from the path as I pedal along.

Slap that puppy on - You won't be sorry... Unless you're donning lycra and doing all day fire road epics...

You do know this is the Gravity forum :P

Just kidding Dude - Yes they are heavy, so just depends if the performance gain is worth more than the weight penalty for you. If getting to the top 4/5 minutes faster is what you want out of your ride, then go lighter... :thumbup:

I love light tyres. It really makes a massive difference.

I have the cheapest Jeffsy without lockout and TBH it pedals K@K. So very hesitant to go too heavy in the tyres.

Unfortunately the kind of stuff we ride up here in JHB you end up spending more time fixing punctures and buying new tyres than riding so tougher/heavier casings are a must.

You do know this is the Gravity forum :P

Just kidding Dude - Yes they are heavy, so just depends if the performance gain is worth more than the weight penalty for you. If getting to the top 4/5 minutes faster is what you want out of your ride, then go lighter... :thumbup:

No gravity is goal, but you need to go up before you can go down. And I'm a fairly strong climber, so why not enjoy both.

No gravity is goal, but you need to go up before you can go down. And I'm a fairly strong climber, so why not enjoy both.

Absolutely man.

On the note of tyre pressure, just got a new bike that came with:

Maxxis Minion DHF Exco up front, and

Maxxis Ardent race Exo on rear.

I am a healthy 108kgs and do most of my riding in Jhb ie Northern Farms, Groenkloof, Thaba etc. What sort of pressures should I be looking at for that riding and would that change for Sani?

I still recon the best overall combo is Business in the front and Part out back.......which grippy tyre our front and good rolling tyre out back is your call to make.