AM tyres... what you running?

patches

After some searching the net I came to the following tyre setup.

DHF rear and DHR II or High Roller II front. If loose on hard pack I'll go for the High Roller II. (Haka)

Another setup I like is a Vredestein Bobact at the back but does not grip as good on the front.

I like their profile though. Flatter where Maxxis are more round. Suit my current riding style but this could change with time as I actually learn to ride. :blush:

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heheh, nothing like some winter psycho riding! Shot for the input. New rear tyre sounds like the way to go

While I haven't tested the RR in wet conditions - for obvious reasons, I have stopped noticing that it is on the bike i.e my initial concern at the lack of tread has gone. As long as you stick with a fat grippy front tyre and have good brakes, I reckon the RR or SS /Slaughter are the perfect rear tyres.

So a little nostalgia thought for you guys.

Back in the day, before we were rocking Tjuubbleess, when good old tubes were the norm. Tyre selection was more specific as you were able to very quickly swap out tyres for your next ride. So if you want to roll long and fast, quick rolling tyres were popped on in a matter of minutes, same again for if you were looking for a bit of Griipppp you popped on some more agro tyres.

Sure Tubeless over Tubed is a winner, but we are now searching for more all-round tyres than before.....tyres were also far flipping cheaper / more affordable "back in the day" too!

So a little nostalgia thought for you guys.

Back in the day, before we were rocking Tjuubbleess, when good old tubes were the norm. Tyre selection was more specific as you were able to very quickly swap out tyres for your next ride. So if you want to roll long and fast, quick rolling tyres were popped on in a matter of minutes, same again for if you were looking for a bit of Griipppp you popped on some more agro tyres.

Sure Tubeless over Tubed is a winner, but we are now searching for more all-round tyres than before.....tyres were also far flipping cheaper / more affordable "back in the day" too!

Dunno, I swap tubeless over pretty easily and quickly sometimes, although inflation is sometimes a hassle. 

Opinions on the Maxxis Aggressor?

The Aggressor is 2.3" only and Maxxis are notorious for their skinny tyres. I like my tyres like I like my women: a little chubby, so I don't want to get a too-skinny tyre.

The Aggressor is 2.3" only and Maxxis are notorious for their skinny tyres. I like my tyres like I like my women: a little chubby, so I don't want to get a too-skinny tyre.

As you say, the Maxxis do run a little narrower but it's not skinny by any means and running it on the rear is perfect - no heavy drag etc. Everyone I know thats riding them has only good things to say and it'll be my next rear tyre.

Another option if you want some fattness is the WTB Breakout. I'm running the 2.5 (which blows up HUGE )on the rear and it's been amazing. Comes in 2.3 too. Once it runs out though I will be trying the aggressor DD on the rear as want to match the Minion I'm running up front now and think a slightly narrower tyre on the rear will be good.

• 5 weeks later...

Found the following on a UK forum. No mention of the DHR so it would seems to be pre DHR II or HR II.

One photo earlier this year of Mr Minn and the V10 shows DHR II front and back. On EWS recently the "Pit Walk" video had some use DHF's both sides.

I currently have (as listed earlier) DHR II rear and HR II front but want to try DHF front later as soon as I can ride again. DHR II rear gives plenty of traction but almost too much so the front wants to break sooner than the rear.

Not a good situation though.

"High Roller front, CrossMark rear - dry-ish
Ardent front, CrossMark rear - dry-ish and a bit faster
Minion DHF 2.5 front, Minion DHF 2.35 rear - wet/mud
Minion DHF 2.5 front, Ardent or HR 2.25 rear - no so wet/mud
Advantage 2.25 front, Advantage 2.1 rear - damp, loose
Ardent 2.4 front, Minion DHF 2.35 rear - enduro-tastic

No probs with any of these. Some people will say there's a lack of grip on Ardents and HRs as you lean over and it's true to a certain extent but the shoulder lugs always bite well before it goes pear-shaped.

60a compound is a decent all-rounder, 42a is the 'grip at all costs' option. 70a a bit skittish."

Reckon my future combo will be Ardent Race 3C Exo TR 2.35" for Rear and Minion DHF 3C/DD/TR 2.3" front.

I run the DD/EXO combination other way around. DD back with EXO front. It would seem I'm much harder on the rear tyres than the front. Not that I'm a expert rider though. Still learning.

I run the DD/EXO combination other way around. DD back with EXO front. It would seem I'm much harder on the rear tyres than the front. Not that I'm a expert rider though. Still learning.

Ja, for me it's just about weight out back. Even more unsprung mass.

Reckon my future combo will be Ardent Race 3C Exo TR 2.35" for Rear and Minion DHF 3C/DD/TR 2.3" front.

Ardent race unfortunately only come in 120 tpi exo casings, not DDs.

Picking mine up tomorrow, will be running similar combo - DHF 2.5 WT EXO on front and Ardent race 2.35 at the rear. Should make longer ride more bearable again.

Just put the Aggressor on 2 rides ago and have to say I am super happy with it. Haven't ridden in proper mud, or clay as we have in Somerset West ,but so far so good. Good consistent grip

Just put the Aggressor on 2 rides ago and have to say I am super happy with it. Haven't ridden in proper mud, or clay as we have in Somerset West ,but so far so good. Good consistent grip

Will like to know some feedback as I'm looking to slap one on to replace the Slaughter for the winter but don't know much about it. 

Will like to know some feedback as I'm looking to slap one on to replace the Slaughter for the winter but don't know much about it. 

Must say, I've been MEGA impressed with my slaughter on the back. Only place I've found it lacking is in the slick mud when I'm straight up and not leaning. 

Must say, I've been MEGA impressed with my slaughter on the back. Only place I've found it lacking is in the slick mud when I'm straight up and not leaning. 

I've not had any issues yet as most of the trails around here seem to dry out pretty quick. and just leave puddles. Got a little slippy on some early damp morning rocks and roots the other day and as a bit 'interesting'. 

Droo gave the Aggressor a thumbs up and at about R550 it's a bargain.