Who want to show me (MTBer from far away) a beautiful Tour in your region

Salah

@Berg Bok and Clint_ZA

Thanks for the offer. Why is that no Problem for you guys in SA to show somone you dont know some tours? Of course this is really nice but even in the friendliest place you find some people who are a liitle bit special :-).

As far as I know this is the norm here. Thought it was elsewhere too. Often arrive at Giba and someone is looking at the map and ask them if they want to join our ride. Seems the normal thing to do :)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cape Town:

Lots of mountain with lots of trails in fairly close proximity. Trails can be rocky especially after a long, hot summer. But weather down here is nice even on a hot day. Can be windy, but chances are you won't feel that when in the mountains. It is the #1 tourist destination (if I remember correct) and the city that makes most foreigners want to stay!

Durban:

Weather is HOT and HUMID. Very humid...tropical is the word I'm looking for. Trails are smoother with lots to choose from. Not as mountainous as the other two options.

Sabie:

Weather is also quite tropical, but not as humid as Durban. Lots to see and do here on and off the bike. You'll be able to see, if you're lucky, the Big 5 in their natural habitat. Can see the Big 5 and lots of other animals in Cape Town as well, just not in an as natural environment. Lots of trails and roads to ride.

I think Durban will (could) have the least climbing of the three. Help me out here guys?

Three weeks will be enough. Well, holiday abroad can ALWAYS be longer, but you'll get to ride LOTS and will be able to visit lots of interesting places. You'll even have enough time for a trip up the Garden Route and do some riding whilst doing it

I think you might be a little biased here! ha ha :)

When we talk Durban we are obviously referring to KZN but even "just outside" Durban you have Giba Gorge and Karkloof and the like with climbing. Then we also tend to include the old Transkei (even though it is no longer "ours") and the Berg area.

I'm sure most would suggest CT as the one stop destination in SA but I personally prefer to encourage visitors to experience Africa. In my opinion this is better done in KZN.

Edited by Clint_ZA

When we talk Durban we are obviously referring to KZN but even "just outside" Durban you have Giba Gorge and Karkloof and the like with climbing. Then we also tend to include the old Transkei (even though it is no longer "ours") and the Berg area.

I'm sure most would suggest CT as the one stop destination in SA but I personally prefer to encourage visitors to experience Africa. In my opinion this is better done in KZN.

Valid. Also lots of riding in Pietermaritzburg...tough choice. I would go with CT for the weather.

@Cavendish

Cannondale Flash Carbon 1

@Crow

So you have once to go to France, Netherlands and Switzerland. If there are some people who would show me some trails I want to do that in return. I will give some answers... Why SA? I am not really a friend of Snow. I know this is not really usual for a Swiss perhaps that is because my dad is from a warm region (North Africa). And since several years I try to make some holidays where the people have summer when we have winter. For exampe i was once in Costa Rica. And SA seems to be great. No Jetlag for example :-).

What do I ride? I ride a Bike which has 8.2kg including everything (do you guys measure in kg?) and I am 52kg. This makes around 60kg. That is perfect for climbing. I love to do Bikemarathon Races here in Switzerland. Just for Fun but they have for example a distance of 100kma and 4000 Metres difference in altitude (climbing). What else? I love to see new things. That is why i am really sure that i will enjoy SA. I have some months until End of January. So i can use the Web so gain some Sightseeing Tips? Or the help of people like you :-). Electricity? Hehe, funny question :-). I work in the electricity market in Switzerland. I dont really know alot about your country but i know that you generate the most of electricity with coal and oil. Right guess? Kids? I dont have them :-). And my friend is staying in the snow. She and the most of my friends do like the snow. I plan to come alone, so I am alot more flexible than.

@Crow and Wonder Woman

That means I have to choose between Cape Town and Sabie. Would it make sense to see both in 3 weeks or is that not senseful in this time?

Check out these photos of riding close to Cape Town:

Jonkershoek/Stellenbosch:

Grabouw:

Lourensford:

Welvanpas:

@Cavendish

Cannondale Flash Carbon 1

@Crow

So you have once to go to France, Netherlands and Switzerland. If there are some people who would show me some trails I want to do that in return. I will give some answers... Why SA? I am not really a friend of Snow. I know this is not really usual for a Swiss perhaps that is because my dad is from a warm region (North Africa). And since several years I try to make some holidays where the people have summer when we have winter. For exampe i was once in Costa Rica. And SA seems to be great. No Jetlag for example :-).

What do I ride? I ride a Bike which has 8.2kg including everything (do you guys measure in kg?) and I am 52kg. This makes around 60kg. That is perfect for climbing. I love to do Bikemarathon Races here in Switzerland. Just for Fun but they have for example a distance of 100kma and 4000 Metres difference in altitude (climbing). What else? I love to see new things. That is why i am really sure that i will enjoy SA. I have some months until End of January. So i can use the Web so gain some Sightseeing Tips? Or the help of people like you :-). Electricity? Hehe, funny question :-). I work in the electricity market in Switzerland. I dont really know alot about your country but i know that you generate the most of electricity with coal and oil. Right guess? Kids? I dont have them :-). And my friend is staying in the snow. She and the most of my friends do like the snow. I plan to come alone, so I am alot more flexible than.

@Crow and Wonder Woman

That means I have to choose between Cape Town and Sabie. Would it make sense to see both in 3 weeks or is that not senseful in this time?

YES

Check out these photos of riding close to Cape Town:

Jonkershoek/Stellenbosch:

Grabouw:

Lourensford:

Welvanpas:

Nice!!!

YES

Agreed.

Web will help - will tell you all you need to know of the usual stuff. I'd be willing to help with more in-depth stuff. Like for instance if a book or the web says visit X, we might be able to point you in another more "rustic" direction or say whether X is really worth it or not. There may also be cheaper ways of doing things which the web will not tell you. Best place to stay, car hire...we can help.

Not sure about the rest of the world, but you'll find South Africans very hospitable and always willing to help. I joke about electricity because we get that question often from foreigners. That and:

• do you have lions walking down the streets?
  • do you have tar roads?
  • do I need to bring candles?
  • "From Africa...but you are white..?"
  • "South Africa yes, but which country?"

:D :D :D :D :D

Pleasure

Have done this twice before. Was lots of fun, even for me, to meet new people and to take them out riding. Hooked up with a couple from France over a weekend so I had time to take them sight-seeing as well. Lots of fun! Have also done something similar with two guys who rode down from the Netherlands on their motorbikes. Met them along the way and took them sigh-seeing along our coast lines. Beautiful.

I wouldn't spend time in Joburg to ride. It is mostly flat with not that much single track.

Best will be to arrange a meet and greet over a braai when you are here! We do it old-school! :thumbup:

But for now...

Why South Africa?

What do you ride and why the climbing preference?

What else would you like to see / visit while you are here?

Do you know that we have electricity? :D

Are you coming with your family? Kids?

Cape Town:

Lots of mountain with lots of trails in fairly close proximity. Trails can be rocky especially after a long, hot summer. But weather down here is nice even on a hot day. Can be windy, but chances are you won't feel that when in the mountains. It is the #1 tourist destination (if I remember correct) and the city that makes most foreigners want to stay!

Durban:

Weather is HOT and HUMID. Very humid...tropical is the word I'm looking for. Trails are smoother with lots to choose from. Not as mountainous as the other two options.

Sabie:

Weather is also quite tropical, but not as humid as Durban. Lots to see and do here on and off the bike. You'll be able to see, if you're lucky, the Big 5 in their natural habitat. Can see the Big 5 and lots of other animals in Cape Town as well, just not in an as natural environment. Lots of trails and roads to ride.

I think Durban will (could) have the least climbing of the three. Help me out here guys?

Three weeks will be enough. Well, holiday abroad can ALWAYS be longer, but you'll get to ride LOTS and will be able to visit lots of interesting places. You'll even have enough time for a trip up the Garden Route and do some riding whilst doing it

Durban got the least climbing?? Did you actually cycle Durban area before?

Durban got the least climbing?? Did you actually cycle Durban area before?

:D Yeah, I have. Not as much as CT though and I did not say Durban has no climbs.

Dont argue because of me :-)

@Berg Bok

In my opinion the grabouw semmst the best. But to be honest, all the pictures seems nice but to feel them in nature counts more.

@Cavendish

I am only 1.55. This is small and not perfect to have alot of womans ;-) but perfect to climb.

@Crow

Yes of course i have to look first, I cant ask everything. Hehe the questions are funny especially the last one.

Hello!

My suggestion is to time your visit with one of the bigger stage races in South Africa and that way you will get to experience everything AND do a race in South Africa. Not sure which MTB stage races are happening around that time. (Anyone else got a calender??) 3 weeks will more than cover the time needed and give you a perfect start to seeing the trials and ride some closed areas that are normally only open to the races.

You will have a great time visiting our country!

Welcome to thehub!

Edited by Tubehunter

Hello!

My suggestion is to time your visit with one of the bigger stage races in South Africa and that way you will get to experience everything AND do a race in South Africa. Not sure which MTB stage races are happening around that time. (Anyone else got a calender??) 3 weeks will more than cover the time needed and give you a perfect start to seeing the trials and ride some closed areas that are normally only open to the races.

You will have a great time visiting our country!

Welcome to thehub!

Was thinking the same. Obvious race would be Cape Epic or Argus Mtb Tour, but they are in March only and Salah only has until end of Jan.

Hoi Salah

If you only have time for one part of SA then you wont regret going to the Cape, I would suggest making arrangements with fellow hubbers along the entire the garden route area from Plettenberg bay towards Capetown.

Whereabouts in Switz are u from

Tschüss ;)