Help me decide!

Clinton1

Ok, so I am going to rely on you guys to steer me in one direction or another. I have asked a few questions about goodies on here and have listened to what was said but now I need to decide. I know many will say just do it but I need to see whether it makes sense.

I have a R4,500 bike!

I am now looking at R1,000 Specialized Comp MTB shoes. R400 Shimano M530 MTB pedals. And a R1000 Rudy Project Sterling helmet.

These goodies will cost me R2,400 which is more than half the value of my bike! If my bike was R20,000 it would make sense but am I mad thinking about doing this?

What is the other option? Get R400 shoes, a R300 helmet and R200 pedals for a total of R900? Just stick with my takkies, flat pedals and crappy hot helmet?

Yes, I am thinking out loud here but let's get opinions.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude I got a pair of cheapish mtb shoes and Im regreting it also dont skimp on a helmut dude. If you had to skimp on the shoes and get a good helmut.

Look after the shoes and other gear and it will last a long time, maybe you will have upgraded to another bike in a couple of years?

Comfort is very important on a bike so I wouldn't be fussed with spending some money on some decent gear.

Or dont spend so much on the gear and do some upgrades on the bike?

Decisions....decisions....!

Edited by Mojoman

Dude I got a pair of cheapish mtb shoes and Im regreting it also dont skimp on a helmut dude. If you had to skimp on the shoes and get a good helmut.

What he said

Helmet and shoes are fashion items, if you stop cycling you will need shoes for going to the mall and also a helmut when your wife wants to donner you? No?

Look after the shoes and other gear and it will last a long time, maybe you will have upgraded to another bike in a couple of years?

Comfort is very important on a bike so I wouldn't be fussed with spending some money on some decent gear.

Or dont spend so much on the gear and do some upgrades on the bike?

Decisions....decisions....!

Precisely! :) Obviously doing everything would be the ideal but not financially possible. I do also understand the logic of the gear going with me to my next bike so it's not really a waste. But then I am currently enjoying my riding and I don't have all that stuff. Damn! :D

I keep thinking that too! I could get R400 ones now and then never use them cos they are crap. Or they break and I am buying new ones in 6 months.

dont skimp on helmet!!!!

whats your head worth to you?? hopefully more than R300

Edited by geecee

Helmet and shoes are fashion items, if you stop cycling you will need shoes for going to the mall and also a helmut when your wife wants to donner you? No?

That has always been my view but if I am going to go the "clipless" route then I need shoes and pedals.... so I can either go the cheapy route, get decent ones (which cost half my bikes value) or just stick with my takkies....

dont think of it as capital towards your bike...think of it as aiding your enjoyment. if you have an accident do you want the 200 buck helmet or the 1000 buck helmet on your head? the shoes need to be comfortable or you wont enjoy them.. by the way CWC has rudy project actium for 599 :thumbup:

If you can afford the better stuff, get it. It's not like it's a groupset or something that over-capitalises the bike.

dont skimp on helmet!!!!

whats your head worth to you?? hopefully more than R300

To tell you thre truth it's not the safety aspect of the helmet that is making me look at another but the ventilations. My current helmet is damn hot in summer. Not an issue now but we are headed back to summer. I'm sure I could get a decent ventilated one for R600 but I bid on the RP Sterling auction so I can get that for R1k as opposed to the usual R1.6k

Olympic shoes are cheap and last for just about ever, if you have broad feet then they are also rather nice.

Helmet ... get a decent one, Bell offer a Slant for about the R600 mark and they have a great crash replacement policy.

Cleats ... Shimano 520's are cheap and real work horse pedals that last. They are not expensive and you can get good deals on the Hub or places like CWC.

by the way CWC has rudy project actium for 599 :thumbup:

Your list looks about right. I would change the RP Sterling for this one at CWC

http://www.cwcycles....t-actyum-helmet

Nothing wrong with riding a R4500 bike, especially when you start passing guys on R50 000 bikes.

Yip, I had been eyeing out that Actyum but unfortunately there are only larges and at 58cm I'd be better off with a S/M. Also the Sterling is at a great price too as a result of an auction on here.

I hear you regarding the price of the bike and fully agree but that was mentioned to provide some perspective to the "accessory" purchases. I could get my GF a new (very) entry level bike for that price....

So far we seem to be leaning towards just doing it.... :)

Dude, I ate s#1t @ 38km/h, on a bend I never saw, in the dark!!!!

I promise you, after my head hit the ground, I didn't care about anything

except that I was damn lucky I "had" a good expensive helmut!!

granted there are more aspects to it. but a helmet is there for safety no for ventilation, if that was the case we wouldnt wear helmets at all :D