Which 29er to buy?

Troskie C

Budget is 9K. The following 3 bikes caught my eye but which one to buy????

* Merida TFS 500 29ER

* Siverback Vida 3

* GT Karokorum 1.0

HELP!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Without doing research I would probably go for the Vida 3.

Why?

Im a big Merida Fan. Bikes are all running fairly good components which i can always change in future as well.

Out of those, probably the GT because I prefer Rock Shox to Suntour. If you like Merida, go for it - nice bikes in general, and like you said, you can upgrade what you want when you want.

Why?

Im a big Merida Fan. Bikes are all running fairly good components which i can always change in future as well.

If you are thinking of upgrading already, then rather go for the Merida Big Nine 900. Ok save a little more first!

The 900 is almost a full SLX bike with XT rear derailure and Minute Air fork. The 900 is around R12k ... so Íf you upgraded only the fork on the 500 it would cost more than the 900 would have from the get go! Then you still need to upgrade shifters, crank and brakes to get it on the same level.

Save a little more and save yourself a lot, 900 gets my vote!

Why not rather buy the best 26" bike at R9K instead of a donkey of a 29er for the same price? Unless you are prepared to live with the bike without any upgrades for a while, because you will want to. Just my 2c

Hi there ladies & gents

I am looking at getting my first 29er mtb, but I am having difficulties choosing a bike. My budget is R9000 and I prefer to buy new, so please advice within that price range. I have looked at Silverback Vida 3, Scott Scale Comp & Merida Big 9 TFS 500-D so far. If you have any other good options, please do let me know. Much appreciated!!

http://www.silverbac...RBACK/vida3.htm

http://www.scott-spo...cale-29-comp-l/

http://www.merida-bi....Nine+TFS+500-D

Why not rather buy the best 26" bike at R9K instead of a donkey of a 29er for the same price? Unless you are prepared to live with the bike without any upgrades for a while, because you will want to. Just my 2c

yes

GT is good value for money, especially the Karo....

He wanted advice on a 29'er, not on a wheel-size no longer suitable to hard tails.

He wanted advice on a 29'er, not on a wheel-size no longer suitable to hard tails.

I disagree. So suggested another option to look at. How did it suddenly become no longer suitable? Your'e shopping on a budget why not rather get the best bike for your money thats not based on a wheel size. If youre dead keen on a 29er then go for it, not saying that its right or wrong either.

Edited by Caerus

Carbon Frame @ cost R4000, you already have all components on your old bike

All you need is a wheel set and fork.

post-24958-0-14229100-1331271390.jpg