90kw 1.4 TSI tiguan

Lukep

The problem with those polo's was that they were fitted with below standard oil pumps which failed after a certain time period.

The only major problems with the TSI engines will be the same as with the TDI if any, probably with the turbo charger. That is technology that is still not perfected. Are you on the reef by any chance? That is where most turbo failures occur. Like with the 96kW TDi engines in polos a few years back.

Nope at the coast. The only prob my TDi gave was my air mass sensor packed up. Never had probs with my turbo even after 160 000km. The guy that bought my car raves about it.

I got into the habit of letting my car idle for at least a minute esp after driving it hard or long distances.

I don't believe that inferior oil pumps were fitted. People bought diesels and drove them like petrols.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with those polo's was that they were fitted with below standard oil pumps which failed after a certain time period.

The problem was actually the turbo which would break apart as it was on the edge of its design. It spun slightly faster on reef and hence the failure. Rest of world had same problem at altitude. When VW changed the turbo supplier (slightly different design) the problem went away.

The problem was actually the turbo which would break apart as it was on the edge of its design. It spun slightly faster on reef and hence the failure. Rest of world had same problem at altitude. When VW changed the turbo supplier (slightly different design) the problem went away.

That turbo problem on the 1.9 tdi was largely due to the lack of adequate cooling of the intake temps at altitude. That make and model of turbo was fitted to the 1.9 tdi Golf 5, Polo 1.9 tdi (both the 74 and 96 kw versions) and the Seat Ibiza (96kw FR and 118kw Cupra). Of all those vehicles, all had the intercooler tucked under the front wing of the car with the exception of the Cupra, which had a front mounted intercooler, roughly twice the size of the other cooler. This accounted for the relatively few turbo failures on the Cupra as opposed to the other vehicles. I did 135 000 Kms in my Cupra, mostly spirited driving.

That turbo problem on the 1.9 tdi was largely due to the lack of adequate cooling of the intake temps at altitude. That make and model of turbo was fitted to the 1.9 tdi Golf 5, Polo 1.9 tdi (both the 74 and 96 kw versions) and the Seat Ibiza (96kw FR and 118kw Cupra). Of all those vehicles, all had the intercooler tucked under the front wing of the car with the exception of the Cupra, which had a front mounted intercooler, roughly twice the size of the other cooler. This accounted for the relatively few turbo failures on the Cupra as opposed to the other vehicles. I did 135 000 Kms in my Cupra, mostly spirited driving.

By spirited you mean driving the bejesus out of it... and it still held together!

But i agree the biggest issue for those polo's was the cheap and nasty coolers and piping, when i worked for VW we were changing out about 1 turbo every 2 or so days.

With the newer cars they have the turbo's running lower boost, quicker spooling (mainly down to new turbo designs) and proper cooling (well atleast better cooling).

By spirited you mean driving the bejesus out of it... and it still held together!

But i agree the biggest issue for those polo's was the cheap and nasty coolers and piping, when i worked for VW we were changing out about 1 turbo every 2 or so days.

With the newer cars they have the turbo's running lower boost, quicker spooling (mainly down to new turbo designs) and proper cooling (well atleast better cooling).

Would you say the 1.4tsi90kw is a safe bet from this perspective?

The only major problems with the TSI engines will be the same as with the TDI if any, probably with the turbo charger. That is technology that is still not perfected. Are you on the reef by any chance? That is where most turbo failures occur. Like with the 96kW TDi engines in polos a few years back.

I know all too well about these... I went through 1 turbo every 10,000km give or take a couple hundred kays.

After 6 turbos later I traded it in and then they apparently started using Garrett turbos from the usual KKK...

All failures were on the shaft melting in the middle between the 2 housings

All covered by warranty, Im curious to know if they really did change from KKK to Garrett for our local market as they did a recall just after I got rid of my beloved TDi

I know all too well about these... I went through 1 turbo every 10,000km give or take a couple hundred kays.

After 6 turbos later I traded it in and then they apparently started using Garrett turbos from the usual KKK...

All covered by warranty, Im curious to know if they really did change from KKK to Garrett for our local market as they did a recall just after I got rid of my beloved TDi

What year and model was you TDI

Then the engine will be perfect for you. My Jetta often gets under 5l/100km on my trip to work. About 90km/h average with a few stops. The 5th and 6th gears are also long gears so low revs at high speeds to further reduce consumption.

The TDI engines I believe are going to become a thing of the past as if you look at the price difference and what you would save on fuel between petrol and diesel with the TSi vs TDI engines, it makes financial sense to go for t TSI.

Good luck and enjoy the vehicle!

I think hybrids are more in danger of becoming less popular (in SA anyway) I was reading a international forum and the new polo blue GT gives 62.8mpg. uses cylinder deactivation whenpottering around town. 0-100 7.9s top speed 235kmh. Not bad for a car that is way prettier than a prius and way faster and lighter on fuel where it really counts in the real world.

My polo's turbo was KKK

Would you say the 1.4tsi90kw is a safe bet from this perspective?

Yes, very safe bet, the 1.4TSI and all current TSIs will not give you these problems. The 96kW TDI was as a say as a result of an on the edge turbo design that was only a problem from one turbo supplier. Reason I know, well lets just say I am as close as you will get to the actual engineers who designed this, in Germany nogals. TSI engines are solid, I worked on some of the projects and with the brains themselves. Just look at the engine of the year results list, especially since 2006 with the dual charger 1.4. I was a powertrain development.engineer.

Edited by The_Break

Is 90kW enough? They not that small these Tiguans.

90kW is a load of power in combination with the torque you get. It is very much enough. But go drive one, really, that is the best way. Power is very much over rated these days and in my opinion has gotten out of hand in peoples minds as the muscle cars take the limelight. Just looking t the progression from model to model you will see a steady rise in power of the decades, which is not stopping because of marketing. Guys dont know how to put a new model with same power as old on the market yet because people want progression.

Reality is, vehicles had plenty of power back then even with their heavy bodies. How much more now. Within 7-10 seconds most vehicles on market can go from 0-120 and then you hit the speed limit. There are very very few situations where you really need more than 75kW in any passenger vehicle 7 seater and less. For me, an engine needs to be efficient first of all, then just have enough power to pass a truck on the long road safely and that is dependent on your patience. Impatient, then get your 186kW engine, patient then 75kW and up is enough, especially with 150Nm and up of torque. 90kW and 200 odd Nm and you have a very nice vehicle that is efficient and you wont think it is under powered.

In any case, go drive one, and read the reviews of the TSI engines. That should help you make your decision.

Edited by The_Break

90kW is a load of power in combination with the torque you get. It is very much enough. But go drive one, really, that is the best way. Power is very much over rated these days and in my opinion has gotten out of hand in peoples minds as the muscle cars take the limelight. Just looking t the progression from model to model you will see a steady rise in power of the decades, which is not stopping because of marketing. Guys dont know how to put a new model with same power as old on the market yet because people want progression.

Reality is, vehicles had plenty of power back then even with their heavy bodies. How much more now. Within 7-10 seconds most vehicles on market can go from 0-120 and then you hit the speed limit. There are very very few situations where you really need more than 75kW in any passenger vehicle 7 seater and less. For me, an engine needs to be efficient first of all, then just have enough power to pass a truck on the long road safely and that is dependent on your patience. Impatient, then get your 186kW engine, patient then 75kW and up is enough, especially with 150Nm and up of torque. 90kW and 200 odd Nm and you have a very nice vehicle that is efficient and you wont think it is under powered.

In any case, go drive one, and read the reviews of the TSI engines. That should help you make your decision.

Torque is more important i think. Power is how fast you can punch torque is how hard. I'd rather take a punch from the Pacman than Mike Tyson.

I drove the 90kw 1.4tsi, it drives as well as if not better than my 320i, which although it is 10years old is a 2.2litre 6 cylinder engine.

the performance of the 1.4 tsi is hard to belive I even asked to look under the bonnet to check the size of the engine! wow well done vw.

It is by no means the fastest or most powerful but it is more than enough for your average Joe.

Nope at the coast. The only prob my TDi gave was my air mass sensor packed up. Never had probs with my turbo even after 160 000km. The guy that bought my car raves about it.

I got into the habit of letting my car idle for at least a minute esp after driving it hard or long distances.

I don't believe that inferior oil pumps were fitted. People bought diesels and drove them like petrols.

This can be a problem, I've heard of lots of people complain about power and consumption of diesel motors, but they drive them incorrectly. I think currently when comparing capacity for capacity the diesels still give better torque/consumption figures.

Edited by olram_df

I drove the 90kw 1.4tsi, it drives as well as if not better than my 320i, which although it is 10years old is a 2.2litre 6 cylinder engine.

the performance of the 1.4 tsi is hard to belive I even asked to look under the bonnet to check the size of the engine! wow well done vw.

It is by no means the fastest or most powerful but it is more than enough for your average Joe.

My wife and I are down in PE on holiday with our new 1.2TSI jetta. The brother in law drove it without me telling him capacity. He guessed at least a 2l. Hehe he also wanted to look under the hood when I told him 1.2TSI. Could not believe it. Kept talking about it to the family.

I guess the 1.2 and 1.4TSI engines are as impressive when one thinks of the GTI and BMW M models as compared to the then normal sized engines. I.e. they are small but pack the punch with the turbo chargers to boost them up with some nice muscle.