Carrying tools etc?

Clinton1

always use a backpack,I throw all I need and extra,like a hanger cableties,two tubes tube repair kit insulation tape good pump, up to 3 litres water (depending on the ride,often I ride on my own,)weight is not important to me.Plus all the usual items,always grab my backpack,and have sometimes I have ridden a 85km race and found I left a shockpump last weeks suspension adjustment ride.I have walked km before not having the right spares.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ai ai ai Scotman *SMH* ..... So I buy this 'fancy schmancy' carbon/titanium seatpost wif fancy graphics and colours to match my bike then cover it in gaffer tape :whistling:

:eek:

Sorry lapse of concentration there, what was i thinking :lol:

Lots of responses, thanks guys, you are giving me plenty to think about

Saddle bag on a road bike is fine.It's a hazard on an MTB.When you fall,and you will fall,for some reason the saddle bag is in the firing line.Had two break like that.

There is only one sensible option and that is a Camelbak.Bottles are probably the most unhygenic.Apart from dust and mud,the potential for cow sh*t and even worse human sh*t is pretty high.

Not sure what you mean about the bottle option being unhygenic? I presume you are referring to using the same bottle for drinking and tools? If so, this was never the idea, I'd have a bottle specifically for tools but I have scrapped that idea now anyway.

Camelbak is the most costly option and one which cannot be used in every scenario (eg the social rides)

Why the need to take so many tools when riding the beachfront? You need a tube & tyre levers,or rather some levers & patches(into the back pocket. Even better, don't bother its not like the walk back is gonna be far. I doubt on a training ride you are gonna puch it so hard you end braking a chain, so a small multi-tool would suffice.

Yip, you are right in that you would not need plenty tools but I would also probably not be riding with a cycling shirt on so with baggies and a t-shirt I'd have no back pocket. I have broken a chain on a leisurely ride at Giba before. Put the power down going up a steep hill, after being slowed by other social riders, and broke it. I had no tools at the time but someone else did. I want to be self sufficient though.

. if the weights not on your back its somewhere else, you still need to move it from A to B an back again.

Fully agree but, as mentioned by someone else, when you get up off the pedals you need to lift that weight when it is attached to you. Much of a muchness I suppose but when factored in with other things like sweat and, one which has not been mentioned yet, far greater cost, it just has more crosses than ticks for me,

Believe me I have been contemplating a camelbak for months and always talk myself out of it :)

The saddle bag is not the only sensible option, you have been given two other more sensible options as well.

For me the other options seem to have negatives. Thus far I cannot think of one negative for the saddle bag besides perceived lack of coolness. Even the breaking negative above can be overcome by getting the velcro instead of the clip version. Also a damaged saddle bag will be cheaper to replace than a damaged camelbak.

Personally I don't like anything in my pockets except food.

Good luck with your decision.

Fully agree with you on this and thanks.

couple of years back I had a seariaaaas crash attempting a big double jump and ended up with a cracked hip and fractured spine.

If I wasnt wearing my camelbak it would have been much worse.

Ha ha, now I need to factor in the safety aspect of each option too ;)

Camelbak is the most costly option and one which cannot be used in every scenario (eg the social rides)

Believe me I have been contemplating a camelbak for months and always talk myself out of it :)

A Camelback also can be used for other activities besides cycling, trail running and day hiking to name just a few. You know it makes more sense, but you're just being stubborn.

Why can't you ride a social ride with a pack anyway?

Lots of responses, thanks guys, you are giving me plenty to think about

Not sure what you mean about the bottle option being unhygenic? I presume you are referring to using the same bottle for drinking and tools? If so, this was never the idea, I'd have a bottle specifically for tools but I have scrapped that idea now anyway.

Are you intentionally obtuse or is it a born talent?

I will spell it out...you ride over dog poo...front wheel picks it up and flings it onto bottle........or you ride thru big puddle trying to splash partner,instead you cover said bottle in mud.Bottle is then raised to lips for refreshing clean drink

I will spell it out...you ride over dog poo...front wheel picks it up and flings it onto bottle........or you ride thru big puddle trying to splash partner,instead you cover said bottle in mud.Bottle is then raised to lips for refreshing clean drink

Is he not talking about carrying tools in a bottle and not refreshment ..... :huh:

Haven't really noticed...

What do the PRO dudes and dudettes do that ride the Epic?

Surely, that's a guide?

Haven't really noticed...

What do the PRO dudes and dudettes do that ride the Epic?

Surely, that's a guide?

From what I've seen they carry what they can in their back pouches, its's that or they walk.

A Camelback also can be used for other activities besides cycling, trail running and day hiking to name just a few. You know it makes more sense, but you're just being stubborn.

Wow, I do find it quite bizarre. When you throw back some challenges to solutions offered in an attempt to reach the ultimate solution you are immediately referred to as stubborn. It appears many on here think their solution should be immediately accepted without question.

Please list the negatives for a saddle bag if you would seeing as though you feel this is not a good solution to carrying tools.

I eagerly await your apology when ytou realise that you are just not getting it....

That is exactly why I use a Camelbak. We did some "exploring" a few years back and ended up riding through a river. Obviously water splashed up onto the bottles with abit of mud etc... Wiped away the dirt and took a sip thinking all was fine. That night I was sh!tting through the eye of a needle. First time I reckned it was coincidence. The second time it happened was enough to comvince me to buy a Camelbak! The benefits of having one are endless!!

:thumbup:

Baggies, t-shirt and..... a camelbak! I have correctly stated that appearances are not the ultimate for me but there is no denying that would look a little silly ;)

Also I mentioned that a Camelbak is pushing towards a grand. I am looking at around R300 for a decent saddle bag. I need to weigh up usefulness. A saddle bag will be useful on any ride (in my opinion, but part of the reason of a thread like this is to find out why others think not).

So perhaps the solution is a camelbak (for it's intended use of hydration) AND a saddle bag (for it's intended use of carrying things) is in fact the ideal solution.... :)

I still reckon until I start pushing 4 hour rides the camelbak would spend a lot of time lying around not doing anything. That's probably my concern.

Wow, I do find it quite bizarre. When you throw back some challenges to solutions offered in an attempt to reach the ultimate solution you are immediately referred to as stubborn. It appears many on here think their solution should be immediately accepted without question.

Please list the negatives for a saddle bag if you would seeing as though you feel this is not a good solution to carrying tools.

I eagerly await your apology when ytou realise that you are just not getting it....

What I find bizare is that you are not grasping the obvious, there is NO ultimate solution.

Baggies, t-shirt and..... a camelbak! I have correctly stated that appearances are not the ultimate for me but there is no denying that would look a little silly ;)

Also I mentioned that a Camelbak is pushing towards a grand. I am looking at around R300 for a decent saddle bag. I need to weigh up usefulness. A saddle bag will be useful on any ride (in my opinion, but part of the reason of a thread like this is to find out why others think not).

Then don't get a Camelbak, there are plenty other options, but like I also said its something you will have for a while and can be used for other activites as well, a saddle bag will be just that, unless you plan to use it as a moonbag?

What I find bizare is that you are not grasping the obvious, there is NO ultimate solution.

Ha ha, badly timed response.... please note the post above yours...