Definition: Trail & Cross Country riding

awesme

Again, the distinction bewteen XCO and XCM. Spartan is talking potato (XCM), Cascades course is Banana (XCO)... only commonalities are the bikes and tighty pants! Tech, endurance etc are very different
I

heard a rumour about a certain convert… :whistling:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nigel, what do the acronyms stand for? I presume XCM would mean Cross Country Marathon? And I always assumed XCO meant Cross Country only, so is the "O" just for show?

As tumbles said the O stands for "Olympic" as it is an Olympic Discipline. Thats is why downhill is DHI not DHO ... as it is an "International" discipline but not an Olympic one.

Most of our races/rides here are not categorised under UCI regulation, but if you had to they would most probably fall under XCM (marathon) events. However being non UCI categorised they should probably be called "Trail Events" ... but i think some of the okes who are (or think they are) hot shot XC racers may **** on me for calling events such as Sani and the Epic Trail events. (is the Epic categorised as an XCM event??? im not sure? ... anyone??)

I think I much prefer Tumbleweed's definition. KISS. If you are riding on dirt, it's mountain biking. In fact, I am a fan of an even simpler definition, if you are using fat knobbly tires you are mountain biking, if you use skinny smooth tyres you are road cycling :)

If you have to ask you are MTB.

Us roadies know exactly what wheel size to use and how to define our sport.

If you have to ask you are MTB.

Us roadies know exactly what wheel size to use and how to define our sport.

Boring?

Have a squiz in the current or previous Ride magazine, there is a piece about the UCI definitions of XCT, XCO etc. as they have updated these definitions.

• 2 weeks later...

Specialized sell the Epic range as a Cross Country bike and Stumpjumper as a Trail bike...does that mean you shouldnt ride your trail bike in a XCM..?

Isnt it also about fit and comfort?

Head spinning from all the terminology and definitions.

I pedal my bikes, therefore I am :)

Specialized sell the Epic range as a Cross Country bike and Stumpjumper as a Trail bike...does that mean you shouldnt ride your trail bike in a XCM..?

Isnt it also about fit and comfort?

You can ride whatever you want in a race (within the rules of the race of course). Last year I used a 4X bike for XCM races.

Just like you can use a BMX for DH events. Chances are you won't win though.

Horses for courses.

BUT: if you're in it for the fun, then use the bike you have the most fun on!

• 1 month later...

Yeah, that, and fast.

Every dropped some roadies on the road while riding a 150mm travel trail bike and rolling on decent knobblies ... it is a good chuckle moment I tell you.

Trail riding: Take the dirt road up or the single track, but at a leisurly pace. Pick out the gnarly lines and do all the jumps. Get to the bottom and chill with your mates, repeat

XC: Race up the hill taking the dirt road / single track. Pick the fastest lines down and try to keep as much rubber on the trail as possible. Get to the bottom, grab a bottle on the fly in the feeding zone, repeat.