Springs - Cyclist killed

KnobbyMech

Sad to say another cyclist was knocked down this morning just South of Springs.

He was a commuter and thick fog on the East Rand this morning contributed to this sad event. I drove past there 2 hours later and his body and mangled bicycle was still laying there. Very disturbing to see.

My heart bleeds for his family. Condolences to them.

Please be careful out there.

Very sad.

I was going to commute to work this morning but when I saw the thick mist I took my car. Many commuter cyclists do not have the same options.

The Government needs to roll out some sort of cycle safety programs & lights to try prevent this from happening all the time.

For sure, I have donated 2 sets of lights to some guys but who could one approach to try and get some sponsorship for the others?

2 Weeks ago a commuter was killed just down the road from me on a left bend, looked like the truck had gone tight into the corner and connected with the guy. Those lights are under R100 at Checkers Hyper (or whatever that place is in Westgate). Am also giving the guys some left over reflective tape for their bikes. Its sad that the government that supposedly does so much actually does so little for the very poor masses, you see all the sad stories about people living in shacks and toilets and then Fat Boy Zum Zum wants to buy a jet....

Its sad that the government that supposedly does so much actually does so little for the very poor masses, you see all the sad stories about people living in shacks and toilets and then Fat Boy Zum Zum wants to buy a jet....

It's the "let them eat cake" syndrome.

RIP to the commuter. My gardener commutes and I often worry about him. It took a while to get him to use a helmet and I suspect he only uses it when he comes to my place.

The point made by Mojoman about lights makes sense. Register as a commutor, get a light from government every year and a set of rechargable batteries.

How much can it cost vs the lifes it would save, er costs, social grants to the family left without the bread winner, etc. Also cycling commutors cost the government so much less in road maintenance than motorized commutors. Just do it JZ!

Sad news, especially if he was the only breadwinner in the household. Condolences to the family. I've often thought what the costs would be of providing seperate(where possible) bicycle paths, as you would find across a lot europe, to help make bicycle transport safer.

For sure, I have donated 2 sets of lights to some guys but who could one approach to try and get some sponsorship for the others?

Well done Mojoman

I had my bike lights in the Car the other day. On the way home from gym it was dark and their was a commuter that everyone almost hit as he had no lights and it is a dark, narrow road. I pulled over and gave him my LED light. They guy was so happy.

Got me thinking (which is something I don't do often) that if we, the cycling community, could each just hand out a reflector or cheap light to a commuter we see. It is a small gesture but it could save a persons life.

Maybe we should do a "Hub Safety drive" now in winter while it is still dark in the mornings and evenings.

Well done Mojoman I had my bike lights in the Car the other day. On the way home from gym it was dark and their was a commuter that everyone almost hit as he had no lights and it is a dark, narrow road. I pulled over and gave him my LED light. They guy was so happy. Got me thinking (which is something I don't do often) that if we, the cycling community, could each just hand out a reflector or cheap light to a commuter we see. It is a small gesture but it could save a persons life. Maybe we should do a "Hub Safety drive" now in winter while it is still dark in the mornings and evenings.

Nice one. I've got some spares lights at home.

I've got an old helmut, and some other bits & pieces in my car to hand out to three commuters I see everyday. I stopped the other day to set a guys bike up for him, lol.

In saying that, I was down the South Coast two weeks ago and almost hit a MTBer as he had no lights, not even a bit of reflective clothing, and all in black, that old freeway is pitch black at night and NO street lights. I just don't get why you would do that?