Single speed gear choice

PYGA1

Howsit All,

I have just finished building p my 1st single speed, converted my 95 Gt Talera.

I'm doing the 70km Diamond Rush next weekend,it will be my 3rd ride on the bike and I'm wondering what gear I should go with, I currently have 32 16 on, any reccomendations ?

I'm a decent rider, I've done 2 joberg2c's, finished middle of the pack, I'm by no means a racing snake, do I stick with 32 16 or change ?

I'm running the same gear. Have been SSing for over a year now. Im By no means a strong rider and found the gear perfect for last years race did the 70km as well. You might spin a bit in some sections but its up hill all the way back and it's a great gear for those long drags up the district roads.

32 x 16 all the way!

even works for me, and I am fat!

Edited by Chro Mo

My 29erSS has 33-18. Done 2 rides on it so far. Seems a decent ratio for normal climbs. Previous 26er SS had 32-16. I could get up most of Breedts Nek on it.

Just a quick q on a 29er setup.

Read something about the bigger wheels needing a bigger ratio.

32x16 would be 32x18 or something on a 29er

Edited by S.I.R Maxxis

That's the prevailing wisdom, although you may be better suited to another ratio altogether - trial and error will sort it out.

Get a couple of cogs and test them. You won't waste your money, as you'll be bound to use them sooner or later

Good luck and enjoy the race bud. Might see afterwards if you haven't left by the time i come in. Looking forward to some beers and BBQ in the ignite Braai zone