Durban's cycling plans

Clinton1

I cycled down to the beachfront today and have noticed the work happening around Blue Lagoon for a while but was rather stoked to see the sight in the image below. A cycle lane towards Blue Lagoon almost twice the width of the car lanes!

gallery_28653_1046_90657.jpg

I came home and did a little more research and was stoked to find this on skyscrapercity discussing the developments, which I thought I'd share, although some of you may be familiar with it already:

Carlos Esteves, the deputy head of road systems management at the city, said the completion of the promenade along the beachfront to Blue Lagoon over the M4 bridge to the Bird Park was being partly funded by a German bank, which was investing money in the city ahead of COP17. "Their proviso was that the money be spent on a cycling strategy. We've always wanted to extend the accessibility by bicycle to the city and beachfront and all the way from Umbilo to the Umgeni River.

"Ultimately we want a cycle lane through the Botanical Gardens to Glenwood Park. We already have nine walking routes and now this is the overlay for the cycling component. It's really finishing off what we started before the 2010 Fifa World Cup," he said.

Esteves said 10 electric bicycles were on the cards to provide more mobility for metro police patrolling along the beachfront. "At the moment they patrol in cars and it's not ideal. We gave them some electric bicycles to try out and the response was overwhelming."

The cycle route will also give the public better access to the protected mangroves and green hub which the city built at Blue Lagoon.

Christo Swart, from the city's parks and cemeteries department, said the widening of the bridge and the cycle route was a win for the whole city. "The whole development, including the eco hub at Blue Lagoon and the Riverside Road extension, will add value, not only to the people of this city. It will benefit the whole environment," he said.

Esteves said the R7 million contract to extend the cycle track to the Bird Park along Riverside Road had just been advertised and would be awarded shortly.

More chat here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1409486

(PS Not sure what's up with the font but it won't let me remove the bold on this, so bold it is :) )

Why do they need electric bikes? Waste of bloody money, whats wrong with an ordinary bike.

They should also try to connect the cycle path all the way to Umhlanga along the beach.

Edited by Caerus

Good work (for a change) - let's hope it is completed and seen through to the end.

Wish they would put in a cycle lane going up Fields Hill.

Why do they need electric bikes? Waste of bloody money, whats wrong with an ordinary bike.

They should also try to connect the cycle path all the way to Umhlanga along the beach.

Amen for that cycle path to Umhlanga - would be the most fun ride ever , sunday afternoon , thursday morning etc :)

Cant see the snotty millionairs along that uber rich road in umhlanga sanctioning that tho

Good work (for a change) - let's hope it is completed and seen through to the end.

Wish they would put in a cycle lane going up Fields Hill.

Hell yeah! I am yet to cycle up there as I am just not willing to risk the traffic. End up going the long way around to get up to Hillcrest.

lazy pork as usual....

The one thing that did make me laugh was that when they did the cycle lane over the Umgeni River, they never included plans for how to get off the bridge, so they had to go back to the drawing board to get planning permission to build an offramp.

The taxis will still speed down that line so it will never be safe :thumbdown: The fact that it's wide enough for a car will give them even more reason (from the looks of the picture).

The taxis will still speed down that line so it will never be safe :thumbdown: The fact that it's wide enough for a car will give them even more reason (from the looks of the picture).

Exactly my initial thought, the width will only encourage taxi drivers. If they were serious they would put in some type of boundry line

Yeah, I did also worry about there being no physical barrier. There is still a lot of work going on so perhaps they will eventually do something. Even if it is a pavement.

Edited by Clint_ZA