GoPro prices !

Iron

It seems to me a big difference is the waterproofing. Most of the GO-PRO models in that price ranges you are looking for are waterproof to around 65m so you can use them for scuba or any watersport really, these contour units are only waterproof to 1m. Which in my opinon means they are only really splash proof, 1m is hardly waterproof.

I bought a GO-PRO in the USA last year and have dived with it, taken it on hikes and generally used it in tough terrain, its a really tough little unit, well worth the $300.00 bucks I paid (remember in the USA its sales tax so added on afterwards if you buy it domestically as I did) - I cant say I ever saw a Contour anywhere in the USA, but GO-PRO's are everywhere, chain stores, sports shops, camera shops etc.

.........but I guess if the waterproof to 65m is not an issue for you, the contour will probably be fine.

Yeah you're right. I think there is a new model of the Contour that is waterproof, out the box. Otherwise a waterproof casing is an optional accessory on the others. I guess for scuba when you already have a lot of gear on it doesn't get in the way, but with cycling, having a heavy, tall camera on your head can't be fun when going through branches etc.

That's the reason I opted for the Contour, the lens also turns 180deg so you can mount it on the side of your helm or ski mask, as well as on top.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried ordering from Amazon.com with shipping to SA. Wouldn't let me buy it, says not permitted to ship the item (or something to that effect). If anyone else knows how to get around it please let me know, in Rands the Hero HD 2 came to maybe R2300 (outdoor edition).

I think there may be limitation on the shipping regarding the battery (they are Lithium Ion) as on ebay people sell the Gopros excl. the battery with a note saying there is no battery included to allow overseas shipping...

Can anyone verify that??

Yeah you're right. I think there is a new model of the Contour that is waterproof, out the box. Otherwise a waterproof casing is an optional accessory on the others. I guess for scuba when you already have a lot of gear on it doesn't get in the way, but with cycling, having a heavy, tall camera on your head can't be fun when going through branches etc.

That's the reason I opted for the Contour, the lens also turns 180deg so you can mount it on the side of your helm or ski mask, as well as on top.

Yeah, as you say, it depends on your use I guess, I have never seen one of the Contours before now so I guess I cant comment, but for cycling it would most likely be fine, certainly substantially cheaper.

What's the GoPro like as a stills camera?

Not bad for either Contour or GoPro, but my guess is there is not much way of getting around the "Fish eye lens" which enables that wide, panoramic feel you get with the camera. Watch any video shot on either and you will see a bit of a wrap-around effect, might not be as good as a normal "Happy snap" stills camera.

Oh another thing - the Contour camera is also compatible with industry standard lens adapters/filters available at camera shops (The smaller size). So if you want to gooi on UV/gradient filters you can :)

Hey guys.

In terms of pricing, we understand that some are frustrated due to 'inflated' local pricing when compared to international pricing. As some have pointed out, international prices do not generally include sales tax so this is a consideration, as well as shipping and insurance on your parcel. Should it be nabbed by customs, you're in for some more there.

Please bare in mind that the local pricing includes all the relevant local infrastructure, including a support staff to handle all queries, provide telephonic support, courier costs for returns if required, any warranties, etc, as well as a sponsorship programme, development programmes and event support. These all add to the costs over and above the regular customs, shipping, insurance, etc that are required to get the units here for you. Do you really want to deal with a US or European call centre for your camera questions?

For support, locally purchased units offer a quicker turn-around due to reduced paperwork and complications with verification of origin of the unit - reducing cost to you and ensuring you're out there shooting your Heroism in HD sooner rather than later. Internationally purchased units also attract an 'International Warranty Handling Fee' to help cover the costs of the supply chain and support services.

If you've got questions or would like to know stuff, please feel free to reply here or drop us a line at gopro@omnico.co.za. Our support line is operational from Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm - 021 300 1526

Regarding specs & comparisons, we can't deny that there are some great competitive products out there. However, take a look at the recent Gizmodo review - http://gizmodo.com/5919942/the-best-action-camera - which speaks for itself.

The stills photos are captured using an 11MP sensor and are regularly used for the covers of magazines, posters and other advertising. In fact, Zig Zag magazine is currently running a competition looking for the best onboard shot with a GoPro to use as their January edition. No print media outlet would do this if it weren't up to scratch. There are, obviously, factors that will contribute to a better photo like movement [shake], lighting, etc.

Perfect, I dont have another camera, so any photo's I take are with the GO-PRO, its really in my opinion a great unit, but it seems to me overpriced in SA.............unfortunately.

Perfect, I dont have another camera, so any photo's I take are with the GO-PRO, its really in my opinion a great unit, but it seems to me overpriced in SA.............unfortunately.

Thanks ,

yip I can understand a price variation of a few hundred rand between countries but almost double is going to make me buy it else ware and get a mate to bring it in .

even with the local warranty not perhaps applying its still worth the saving of almost half .

Hey guys.

In terms of pricing, we understand that some are frustrated due to 'inflated' local pricing when compared to international pricing. As some have pointed out, international prices do not generally include sales tax so this is a consideration, as well as shipping and insurance on your parcel. Should it be nabbed by customs, you're in for some more there.

Please bare in mind that the local pricing includes all the relevant local infrastructure, including a support staff to handle all queries, provide telephonic support, courier costs for returns if required, any warranties, etc, as well as a sponsorship programme, development programmes and event support. These all add to the costs over and above the regular customs, shipping, insurance, etc that are required to get the units here for you. Do you really want to deal with a US or European call centre for your camera questions?

For support, locally purchased units offer a quicker turn-around due to reduced paperwork and complications with verification of origin of the unit - reducing cost to you and ensuring you're out there shooting your Heroism in HD sooner rather than later. Internationally purchased units also attract an 'International Warranty Handling Fee' to help cover the costs of the supply chain and support services.

If you've got questions or would like to know stuff, please feel free to reply here or drop us a line at gopro@omnico.co.za. Our support line is operational from Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm - 021 300 1526

Regarding specs & comparisons, we can't deny that there are some great competitive products out there. However, take a look at the recent Gizmodo review - http://gizmodo.com/5...t-action-camera - which speaks for itself.

The stills photos are captured using an 11MP sensor and are regularly used for the covers of magazines, posters and other advertising. In fact, Zig Zag magazine is currently running a competition looking for the best onboard shot with a GoPro to use as their January edition. No print media outlet would do this if it weren't up to scratch. There are, obviously, factors that will contribute to a better photo like movement [shake], lighting, etc.

Thanks for the reply , nice review article .

Considering all you said ,honestly though I can't justify the double price between counties !

R2082 ( R2373 incl vat ) to R3999 , come on .

Edited by Iron

Hey guys.

Regarding specs & comparisons, we can't deny that there are some great competitive products out there. However, take a look at the recent Gizmodo review - http://gizmodo.com/5...t-action-camera - which speaks for itself.

Yeah, I hear you, but to be fair I am pretty sure GO-PRO world wide has the same programmes it sponsors or supports and the pricing is still much better. I accept theres probably much bigger sales numbers internationally, but then I think you would also sell a lot more locally were they more in line with the international pricing, so its really a bit moot I guess.

I would not quibble over say 10% more locally, but when its roughly 50% more I think people will look elsewhere internationally.

I am not sure a local call centre is worth 2k odd to me extra, and frankly I have never needed it and I am the least technical person out there.

In any event it doesn't change the fact that I am a firm supporter of the product, I have used it endlessly and its never let me down, but regrettably I just cant get my head around the local pricing.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

Hey guys.

How much is the International Warranty Handling Fee if i had a faulty Gopro that was purchased overseas and is in warranty?

Thanks ,

yip I can understand a price variation of a few hundred rand between countries but almost double is going to make me buy it else ware and get a mate to bring it in .

even with the local warranty not perhaps applying its still worth the saving of almost half .

To be honest Iron, these units are as tough as nails, I just dont know what would go wrong, I have had mine for roughly a year, its been dived, on a fishing boat, in my back pack hiking and, and ,and its never missed a beat.

To be honest Iron, these units are as tough as nails, I just dont know what would go wrong, I have had mine for roughly a year, its been dived, on a fishing boat, in my back pack hiking and, and ,and its never missed a beat.

From all the people I have spoken to they seem to be great units and I'm not having any doubts about its capabilities and durability , but the price variation is my gripe .

Thanks for the feed back

Yup tough as nails, and the only thing that can go wrong is scratching the lens, and that the local guys wont replace for free anyway.

And yeah at double the price it looks like the local chaps, want us to beleive that they bought it for standard US pricing then want to charge us for shipping, insurance, distrobution etc etc.

Where in reality, it probably costs them about R700 all inclusive to bring in a unit, then they sell it to retailers for double that, and then the retailers double it again just becuase they can.

Not great. It's ok until you zoom in to the photo, then you see lots of weird un-antialiased sharp bits. Still, it's nice because you can just put it on every-X-seconds and it'll take lots of photos that you might not be able to otherwise.