Dilemma: Giant XTC 29er 1 VS Scott scale elite VS Momsen AL529

Mopkop

I still havent made my choice as I'm still trying to sell my 26er. and after reading http://www.thehubsa....he-way-forward/

I don't know if I should just get another 26" frame or if I should just close my eyes and go 29er?????????????????????????????????

the answer is - whatever works for you. If you ride on fire roads, wide oopen spaces and places where efficiency of movement is king, then 29er is for you. If you prefer really tight, technical and fast, then the 6er (generally speaking) is the key.

But, if at the end you FEEL as if the 9er wins over the 6er or vice versa, then so be it. Don't let somebody try to convince you that 9ers are "better" just because they're A) Newer ; B) sell more of them.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still havent made my choice as I'm still trying to sell my 26er. and after reading http://www.thehubsa....he-way-forward/

I don't know if I should just get another 26" frame or if I should just close my eyes and go 29er?????????????????????????????????

go demo a 29'er you have to realize some things,

1. there are a lot of people that paid a fortune for their 26" bikes and they will defend them to the death,

2. In europe where most of the tracks gets ridden with AM/DH bikes they prefer the 26" format and not the 29" format becuase they need the extra travel.

3. 98% of ST in SA doesnt require you to have a long travel 26"bike and can be done just as fast if not faster on the latest generation 29'ers

4. 650B or 27.5" might become an option but it will take them just as long to sort out the products and geometry and designs as they did with 29" so you

might have a decent 27.5 bike in about 3-6 years from now.

5. if you want a 29"er that can handle just as good as a 26" you will need to look at the more niche brands though. The bikes you mention are specifically designed for marathon type races and might be slightly deadfooted although the giant XTC have had some rave reviews on the handling aspect.

6. Theres nothing wrong owning a 26 or 29" both get the job done, generally if your a tall lad 29" will suit you better, if your a shorty 26" will feel more comfortable.

Edited by covie

I'm actually looking for a bike in the same price range as Mopkop... My range was originally R8k then R10k and now R14k but hopefully that is where it will settle.

So I've read good reviews on both the Scott and Giant as well as the Merida big Nine XT-D.

So since the actual specs all seem similar, my question would be, how would the group rate the Merida compared to those and if taking purely steeling into account and which of the three bikes would come out tops?

I recently rode the Giant and it was really impressed but I'm still torn between all of these.

Gaint then scott then momsen, Momsen might have a kickass groupo with steller wheels, but with the topline group and wheels it wheighs the same as the Gaint/Scott with medium spec groupo, i.e. you can still shed a lot of the Giant and the Scott, and not the Momsen, (if weight is your thing)

When people say a 29er does not do well in technical single track stuff they are just talking nonsense. If the 29er wheels are heavy it will accelerate slower out of tight turns, that is true, it might have a slightly wider turning circle, that is true, but I find my 29er is magnificent in single track and technical terrain, and as for the rest of the terrain (normally 98% of what I ride), it is just superior. I can highly recommend a 29er with good wheels, best will be to buy the bike with good wheels, and that`s why I like that Silverback.

Edited by Berg Bok

I bought the Momsen Al529 best bike I ever owned.

Also have the Momsen - great bike but got mine a lot cheaper than R13995. Was in the same situation as you and consider those exact bikes plus one or two others but ultimaltely the Momsen had the best combination of compenents

ALL I can say is MY NERVES IS KLAAR!HAHAHA..the geometry on the silverback I've got now doesnt suit me..the difference in height between the saddle and handle bars is too big hence the feeling of topling over the front of the bike.

I've got a 70mm riser stem on and it makes a difference but stil not what I want. if I look at my setup my front end will need to lift by about 25-35mm(added to that of the riser stem) to increase the "feeling" I've got on the bike.

I have sat on a fw 29er's and it does feel better suited to me, haven't ridden one yet tho...

ALL I can say is MY NERVES IS KLAAR!HAHAHA..the geometry on the silverback I've got now doesnt suit me..the difference in height between the saddle and handle bars is too big hence the feeling of topling over the front of the bike.

I've got a 70mm riser stem on and it makes a difference but stil not what I want. if I look at my setup my front end will need to lift by about 25-35mm(added to that of the riser stem) to increase the "feeling" I've got on the bike.

I have sat on a fw 29er's and it does feel better suited to me, haven't ridden one yet tho...

definite sizing issue there lol, go do a ergofit or bgfit before you buy a new bike, that way you know exactly what your reach is and what geometry will suit you best. And you can use the settings to dial in your new beast.

definite sizing issue there lol, go do a ergofit or bgfit before you buy a new bike, that way you know exactly what your reach is and what geometry will suit you best. And you can use the settings to dial in your new beast.

Where can I get this done?

Thanks for all the replies!

Momsen AL529 R13 995

Scott scale elite R14 000(R13 500 in Worcester)

Giant xtc 29er 1 R15 500(R14 300 in Worcester)

I get the point of upgrading the wheels at later stage! I can get the momsen specced with sun ringle dirty flea hubs for R15 000.

I really dont know what to do.. need to make my decision soon tho as I've been off the bike for 2 weeks already!hahahahahaha

Phone around, phone around and then phone some more.

I wanted to buy a Momsen AL 729 to use as a doner bike ( use gruppo and wheels and chuck the frame)

and at two LBS I got it for 15K some LBS were 19k ---so phone and bargain with the people you could get the above bikes for Way less than that.

#eksenet

Giant and momsen have great geometry.cannot go wrong with either .XTC and Momsen SL729 in the family.Happy with both .Silverback storm looks a great bike too.26' HT is a hard ride .29er have better traction in all conditions and ride softer .In the long run you will learn how to handle the bigger wheels comfortably ,ride faster and enjoy cycling more

So I've popped into my LBS and came across a large(19inch) Giant XTC 26er frame for ONLEEEE R2499. was thinking of getting this frame and then just tranfering my existing parts across. I'm struggling to sell my bike as it's only 4 months old now. The LBS advised that it would of sold easier if it was older and I'd got my money out of it. I mean to loose R3000 in 4 months to me is ridiculous UNLESS I just close my eyes and take the knock?????

The only problem is that i don't know if its going to fit me better than the silverback i currently own.

Giving it time till this weekend else ima go for the giant XTC 29er

post-35789-0-57131700-1343290595.jpg

post-35789-0-74474800-1343290609.jpg